Worst Crowd Reaction you've witnessed

I saw Overkill on their either Years of Decay or Horrorscope tour when they had Blitzspeer open for them. At the show in Pittsburgh there was absolutely *zero* crowd reaction when Blitzspeer stopped playing a song. None. Nothing. Not a clap, not a whistle, not a boo. Complete and total silence - it was very awkward and the band was pissed when they were done. I think they played maybe 4 or 5 songs and left. That got a reaction. I've never experienced anything like that since.

The Cult opened for Metallica at Popular Creek....they got patches of dirt and grass tossed at them and anything that wasnt nailed down. People were booing non stop and they walked off stage a few songs early.
I saw this same tour at the Allentown Fairgrounds in PA. and it was the same result. THE CULT took a beating which was too bad because I loved them back then.

Sorry about the series of posts but I just thought of another one. I don't know if anyone here remebers the band The Gadjits. They were a pretty sweet ska band that released a couple of cool albums at the end of the 90s. Then, without warning, they morphed into a really bland and flavorless indie rock band. It was pretty gross to see a band who clearly and obviously DECIDED that they wanted to make themselves over to get with the prevailing trend. They went on tour and played to crowds who had no idea what was going on. When they played Detroit I was there and it was so awkward. The band looked really uncomfortable, people in the crowd were going "What the hell is this?" I think the band pretty much disappeared after that debacle.

Dude you have no idea how disappointed I was when that happened. I remember seeing them several times a month playing local tiny venues and coffee shops. I have friends that went to high school with them and I have recently became friends with Zach and Brandon. The are now doing a band called The Architects.

'99 - early pre-Ozzfest era Slipknot gig, or Machine Head or whatever it was.

This band called Primer 55 opened.

Not 3 songs aired until a heckler in the crowd noticed nobody at the venue was enjoying the tunes, and that the band had the energy level of a corpulent fruitfly. The "singer"kept pushing for more attention. The audience member then told the band "Get off the stage!! This isn't working for you."One more song passed, and the reaction of the crowd was becoming less satisfying. So, the audience member told them "- if this is your best - Break Up. Kill Yourselves." The singer of said band threw his microphone down and ran offstage. The audience cheered.

Yep, and I think we all know who that diminutive heckler was. :)

Wow - 25 replies in and not one person has mentioned Rage at PPIV. :)

Why? Their reaction wasn't negative, just relatively small...in large part because Evergrey -- at the time, PPUSA's de-facto house-band -- had to do their autographing during Rage's set due to tight scheduling.

I'm just kidding. I honestly wouldn't expect anyone here to be into them, but I feel your posts in particular are more along the lines of "if it's not majestic power metal, in which all of the members must dress like they get paid $9 an hour at Medieval Times, it sucks!" so I just had to make a silly response.

Now, now, I'm sure Sir Russell Allen was paid more than $9 when he worked there, silly!

Also saw Type O Negative get booed off the stage opening for Rush at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin on the Counterparts tour. They were visibly frustrated at the crowd response and just kinda shrugged and gave up after 20 minutes.

Rush audiences can be tough ones. I wasn't there, but I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall when the Melvins opened for Rush in California. Reportedly, THAT negative crowd reaction was the stuff of legend.

----

I haven't personally seen tooo many really BAD audience reactions, although I'll never forget when James "Spike" Marsters' band Ghost of the Robot played at Dragon*Con. They were dreadful. But, there were a lot of female fans there who really wanted to see "Spike from Buffy" perform...for at least a little while.
After two songs, we had to call on convention security to control the flow OUT of the 2,500-capacity ballroom. I was standing outside and not hiding my blue convention directors' ribbon well enough, when some people walked up to me, thinking I was in charge. "Please! Make them stop! This is terrible!"
All I could do was shrug. :lol:
Some hardy fans of the following band* managed to gut it out and stayed in the front row for that whole mind-numbingly awful set. In sympathy, the headliner's frontman gave each of 'em a free CD of their choice. :)

----
* The Cruxshadows

That's cause it's Russel. They probably gave him an extra 2 bucks so that nobody else would have to sing happy birthday to diners on their birthdays!!!!

rofl jk, that's so horrible. :(

I saw Stone Temple Pilots open for Megadeth in the early '90s. That pairing should never have happened.
STP is the only band I have ever booed! Hahahaha!

----

I haven't personally seen tooo many really BAD audience reactions, although I'll never forget when James "Spike" Marsters' band Ghost of the Robot played at Dragon*Con. They were dreadful. But, there were a lot of female fans there who really wanted to see "Spike from Buffy" perform...for at least a little while.
After two songs, we had to call on convention security to control the flow OUT of the 2,500-capacity ballroom. I was standing outside and not hiding my blue convention directors' ribbon well enough, when some people walked up to me, thinking I was in charge. "Please! Make them stop! This is terrible!"
All I could do was shrug. :lol:
Some hardy fans of the following band* managed to gut it out and stayed in the front row for that whole mind-numbingly awful set. In sympathy, the headliner's frontman gave each of 'em a free CD of their choice. :)

----
* The Cruxshadows

hahahaha, his band is playing Wizard World Chicago this year. Playing conventions must be the only way for him to get shows.

Point Blank opening for Triumph at the Aragon in Chicago, don't remember the year, but it was the Allied Forces Tour, if I rember right....81-82?

Nothing violent, just a REALLY bad reaction to Point Blank.

hahaha That's funny... They insulted us too! The singer even spat on a dude's head..
My friend (a female) cursed him out after the spitting incident...After that she was his target for the rest of the night... He even laid on top of the keyboard and pretended he was fucking it... While doing it, he was looking at my friend and pointing at the keyboard saying "Hey, this is you".... hahah asshole.

Wow, that's disgusting. :|

I'd also like to add Sonic Syndicate opening up for Amon Amarth a few years ago at the Palladium in Worcester, MA. Maybe it wasn't the entire crowd, but it seemed like everybody around me were uninterested if not downright hostile towards them. At one point a bunch of us even sat down right in the middle of the floor to get some R&R before Amon Amarth took the stage.

I was wondering if this was going to be brought up. Oh, god, that show. And it wasn't just the group around you. It was a large portion of the floor.

sonic_syndicate093_397466.jpg

I didn't attend that Amon Amarth show, but oh god, that reaction's become legendary. I can't hate on Sonic Syndicate too much, though, despite their music being terrible now - when Nightwish canceled their show here a few years back, they actually played for free for people who turned up. I didn't go (because I had read that the whole show was canceled...), but I thought that was incredibly cool of them.

hahahaha, his band is playing Wizard World Chicago this year. Playing conventions must be the only way for him to get shows.

Whew, I guess they didn't get the memo. :)

He's attending D*C as a guest this year (he's there frequently), but -- thankfully -- I have heard no rumors of a 'comeback' performance. *shiver*

I was wondering if this was going to be brought up. Oh, god, that show. And it wasn't just the group around you. It was a large portion of the floor.

sonic_syndicate093_397466.jpg

Hahaha, oh wow. I thought I remembered it being bad, but that picture sparks my memory and now I remember just how awful it was! It think I can see my buddy to the far right of that picture. I'll have to save it, zoom, and see if I can spot myself somewhere in there.

METHODS OF MAYHEM at "Gods Of Metal Festival", Milan, Italy - 2000

Tommy Lee's ill-fated rap metal band participating in a heavy metal festival. The band entered the stage in front of 25.000 metal heads, and within the first 10 seconds of the first song 25.000 waterbottles were in the air headed for the stage - BAMM!!!! The green haired albino rapper stopped and yelled something to the audience, then started playing again ... another 25.000 waterbottles were thrown - SMACK!!!! The band stopped playing, yelled a ton of cuss-words at the audience and started for a third time playing. Guess what happened ... yup, waterbottles ... The band left stage - one of the officials came out and tried to calm down the audience, Tommy Lee came out to talk to the audience and ... SLAM!!!! More waterbottles.

Needless to say that METHODS TO MAYHEM left at that point in time, only to go backstage and wreck their dressing room completely.

Well, an hour later SLIPKNOT took the stage, and once again the air was full of waterbottles ... However, Slipknot didn't seem to mind, as they continued on, and one of their clowns actually took the waterbottles as a sign of the audience wanting to fight him, so he jumped in and had himself a nice little fistfight or two *hmmm*

What an otherwise fantastic festival - check out the line-up!!!

Day 1:
Iron Maiden
Demons and Wizards
Dark Tranquillity
Sentenced
Edguy
Domine
Dirty Deeds
Khali
Theatres Des Vampires

Day 2:
Slayer
Slipknot
Methods of Mayhem
Testament
In Flames
The Kovenant
Death SS
Necrodeath

Wow, that's an amazing lineup! o_o That Tommy Lee story is probably the base for Metalocalypse's rap-rock parody, "Get Thee Hence". Except in that episode, Get Thee Hence was murdered by metal fans. :3

Sonata Arctica opening for Overkill in NYC April of 2005. A bad mix. The first part of SA's set the crowd was really into them. Then the Overkill crowd started to filter in and heckle the band. The SA fans were righteously pissed. There were several scuffles and I was afraid they were going to have to clear B. B. Kings. After SA's set, their fans mostly left. Another clear case of you can't just throw bands together on the bill just cause they're all "metal."

Sonata Arctica opening for Overkill in NYC April of 2005. A bad mix. The first part of SA's set the crowd was really into them. Then the Overkill crowd started to filter in and heckle the band. The SA fans were righteously pissed. There were several scuffles and I was afraid they were going to have to clear B. B. Kings. After SA's set, their fans mostly left. Another clear case of you can't just throw bands together on the bill just cause they're all "metal."

I remember that. I was one of the SA fans who left early...stupid Overkill fans..

One thing in particular that stuck with me that night was one of the booths filled with old-school Overkill fans and their wives. This one particular lady who looked like she had 15 facelifts and her face literally couldn't move. I still get nightmares...

One thing in particular that stuck with me that night was one of the booths filled with old-school Overkill fans and their wives. This one particular lady who looked like she had 15 facelifts and her face literally couldn't move. I still get nightmares...
Oh yea, I remember her. Hideous. :zombie: I left early too.