Yngwie J. Malmsteen - Relentless

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
God this is bad. Not that I expected it to be good, but it's slightly worse than I was thinking it might be. It's SO boring. Yngwie's guitar goes wblwblwbblwbwlbwbblwbwlbwbl constantly in that awful echo-y, delay drenched production that he so loves for what seems like an eternity. The production is actually slightly better than the last disk but that ain't saying much. The songs are just so boring, nothing seems to happen. Axe to Grind is ok I suppose. Now what of the Ripper meister you ask? Well actually he does pretty good IMO with what time he has been given. The production levels on the vocals are so up and down though it ain't even funny. Some songs he sounds quite good and up front with some decentish melodies but the songs in the main go nowhere fast. I love many of the Yngwie imitators out there who can shred and get decent production and actually write a song instead of showboating for 6 minutes with an awful cavernous sound that makes it sound really unpleasant to my ears any way. So Mr. Malmsteen I always try your disks but alas it seems you can't write a song worth a shit these days and your production capabilities are about as useful as a used condom. It's s shame.

Well I am not a disser of neoclassical metal at all like you seem to be. I think when it's done well with actual songs rather than showboating it's very enjoyable but Yngwie is just too much. The guy is on a one man mission to sweep pick your ears to death!!!

Well I am not a disser of neoclassical metal at all like you seem to be. I think when it's done well with actual songs rather than showboating it's very enjoyable but Yngwie is just too much. The guy is on a one man mission to sweep pick your ears to death!!!

I'm not a complete disser, but thanks to Yngwie, I can't stand listening to it anymore. Not to mention that few people can actually do something fresh or interesting within the style. It's a matter of a style that I used to like a lot having become stale and uninteresting.

As for Yngwie, I have no more faith on the guy simply because it's been clear for decades that he can't write good songs anymore. It's a big shame.

The most amusing thing about this album is that Ripper had no clue I guess up until recently that he was even on it, which means that everything he sings on here is from the recordings of Perpetual Flame. Firebreath, is he on every track?

You're surprised? Yngwie hasn't written anything worth a shit in eons. Shitty production, horrible melodies, and the same fucking arpeggio solos all the time.

I am one of the biggest Yngwie Malmsteen fan you will EVER meet and I found this album boring as hell...I am not feeling Ripper as the vocalists still and the 2 albums Yngwie has done with him. Yngwie has tried to hard to dominate the albums (with as little vocals from Tim as possible) but it's not working for me.

Yngwie should put his ego aside and let some talented longtime imitators write for him. I'm sure if you put some of the best neoclassical guitar players in a room and asked them to come out with the next Yngwie album it would be good.

I am one of the biggest Yngwie Malmsteen fan you will EVER meet and I found this album boring as hell...I am not feeling Ripper as the vocalists still and the 2 albums Yngwie has done with him. Yngwie has tried to hard to dominate the albums (with as little vocals from Tim as possible) but it's not working for me.

Yeah, Tim is one of the best quality singers around and he honestly just gets buried on these last two discs. These discs could've been incredible if he didn't care so much about him being the focal point.

Heck, you know what? Axel Rudi Pell. That's all you need. Just let Axel write the next Yngwie album.

Let me just say first that I love ARP the band,and Johnny Gioeli is one of my fav. singers the main reason I buy the albums still. Now, you can't have Axel write the next Malmsteen album because Axel has been writting the same album since Oceans of Time,they all sound alike,that's not really a bad thing the simple riffs,great vocals,cool keyboard parts,but really really shitty long guitar solos. My God Axel can write a great little riff,with the same lyrics about wizards,spells,magic,and dispare,but his solos are some of the worst I have ever heard. I will go into more detail if anyone ask,this is not my point really for writing now,because like I said I still buy his albums,and I do like the band.

Malmsteen should always write is music, but he should never never produce another one Rising Force Records recording quality sounds so bad it ruins all the songs really. He should just get Axel's producer for the record,but still write all his stuff,because if Malmsteen ever changes, that would be the end of the world, but if Malmsteen played the solos on Pell's album,they would be the best band ever. I like listening to the new album it doesn't really have much replay value sadly,but it is just good rock music with a lot of well written riffs,and music, u just can't fucking hear it right. I just like to rocknroll so if it's straight forward rock,and really exciting solos i like listening to it anyway.

Again I'm not hating on ARP,I'm just saying he can't write new stuff for himself, so.

One point that hasn't been mentioned here is the toll alcoholism has taken on Ywgwie. I mean it's no secret the guy hits it hard on a frequent basis. Have you ever seen some of the NAMM videos on Youtube? He's HAMMERED in most all of them. Until he quits drinking nothing will ever change. Same with EVH.

I have to agree with a lot of what's already been said. I liked most of the stuff up through Facing the Animal. Even though he's always had a signature sound to his solos, at least up to that point they were somewhat varied, albeit gradually getting repetitive.

Everything after that, bleh. I am a huge fanboy as well, and I actually enjoyed some of Alchemy and the last one Perpetual Flame. The new one though, I had a chance to listen to it... I think I made it 2 1/2 songs in? Production is horrid, his solos (as expected) monotonous as hell, Tim's singing wasn't all that inspired (to me). He def needs a musical reality check, or just hang it up and be done as far as I'm concerned. Pretty sad.

Yea I was a huge Yngwie fan back in the day. I wore out my Trilogy cassette in 1986!

As for the Axel Rudi Pell comments, I agree his albums had been pretty repetitious as well but I thought his new album THE CREST was really good, and sounded a bit refreshing from his previous material.

I love Yngwie. Have not heard the new one yet. I also love Ripper, but I thought him singing for Yngwie was a mistake. There were a few good songs on Perpetual Flame however. I do wish Yngwie would hire an actual producer to push him and get the sound perfected. He's going to do things his way I guess. Sorry to hear the new one is uninspiring. Oh, and Yngwie when you need a good album cover, call me.