Yngwie J. Malmsteen - Relentless

Yep in my stack of CDs was "Relentless". I had ordered before reading this thread. At first listen the song writing isn't as bad as I expected based on reading the reviews here. Certainly not great, but listenable.

But the production! Holy moly, sounds like a demo tape from the early 90s. Someone tell Yngwie how to use an EQ, quick!

Hate him or not, he's easily one of the most influential metal guitarists.....ever.
He's kinda like AC/DC in that you know exactly what you're gonna get when you buy his stuff....I look forward to buying the new cd....I loved Perpetual Flame and Unleash The Fury, so I'm pretty sure what the new one will be like.

Well put I agree with you 100% I have every Yngwie album to date,and will always buy them when they come out. I love it great heavy rocking music.

Someone up there said that Vai,and Satch are still writting great songs, give me a break both of them has not written a good tune since the mid to late 90's

Someone up there said that Vai,and Satch are still writting great songs, give me a break both of them has not written a good tune since the mid to late 90's

What? Have you even heard their stuff? I have a really hard time believing you have even bothered checked them out. Everyone here knows you are a fanboy of the neoclassical and Malmsteen stuff, the cheesy power metal, but to not recognize that Yngwie has been in a downslope for years now is a bit far-fetched in my opinion.

And by the way, if you have nothing else to do, go check out Satch's Strange Beautiful Music or the new album. And ANYTHING Vai has done in the last 10-15 years. Fire Garden? Lotus Feet off Real Illusions? Whispering a Prayer? Jeez...

It's funny how you just sit on this forum all day and wait for someone to say something you don't agree with, so in less than five seconds you can act like you know them,and know what albums they own. First when you use the words downslope those that is a good term for Malmsteen's music I agree, he might not ever return to the past magic, but the same can be said for Joe,and Steve, every album they put out boring ,and a huge stepback for there past releases, oh and Steve's live albums and dvd's please, its almost like he has lost some talent. Anyway, I'm not going to fight, everyone is a little different, but what you don't know is that guitar is my main thing that makes me listen to music too. So please don't act like you know more or have more than anyone else if you don't know them sir.

It's funny how you just sit on this forum all day and wait for someone to say something you don't agree with, so in less than five seconds you can act like you know them,and know what albums they own.

Haha, that is funny. I am on the forum a lot, but I don't sit on it all day. But hypothetically speaking, if you know that I'm here all day long, that means you're probably here all day long as well. Which doesn't make you any better than me. I act like I know my friends on the forum, and I can guarantee you're not one of them (I don't know you, but based on your posts, you seem to like a lot of the stuff I mentioned - which I actually don't care much for, and that's just fine).

dionysus11 said:
First when you use the words downslope those that is a good term for Malmsteen's music I agree, he might not ever return to the past magic, but the same can be said for Joe,and Steve, every album they put out boring ,and a huge stepback for there past releases

Hey, I never said Joe and Vai are NOT in a downslope - but you said (and I quote) that they haven't put out a single good tune since the 90s. Considering that for a lot of Satch and Vai fans, a lot of their stuff since the 90s is considered a must play by a lot of them, I can only *assume* that you didn't check them out. Afterall, I think anyone who considers themselves a guitar person would agree that there are good tunes in those albums. And just in case, if you haven't listened to the albums I mentioned, you will find some amazing (and innovative) guitar work. I honestly haven't seen that in Yngwie's last few records.

dionysus11 said:
Anyway, I'm not going to fight, everyone is a little different, but what you don't know is that guitar is my main thing that makes me listen to music too. So please don't act like you know more or have more than anyone else if you don't know them sir.

I wasn't. Blame it on your own quote for making a generalization that would make people assume something, the same way I did.

Bottom line is you like what you like, I like what I like and that is perfectly fine. You just made a pretty big generalization that sounded more like a passionate Yngwie fan defending him than actually using reason. It's alright, everyone does that. :)

In an earlier quote to someone you said that u refuse to listen to the album,but yet it just seemed like you where saying i haven't listen to steve,and joe,and sadly I own almost everyone of there albums,so it just made me think, why is this guy saying I haven't heard something,when he is on a Malmsteen thread talking about his new album when he said he would never listen to it. That's all that made me lash out a little. I'm with you Malmsteen stuff has always all sound the same,and that's what I love about him, he got me into guitar a long time ago,and so did Vai,and Satch of course. For me now though when I listen to Super Collossal or Professor Satchafunkilus, they are really lame is the only word I can think of,nothing really jumps out, I've only heard a few tracks off youtube of his latest album, but it sounds about the same not a buy,maybe a download. As for Steve, I just really don't like him anymore that Where the Wild things dvd did it for me, I can't listen to him anymore.
Anyway Paul Gilbert though my brother sent me a copy of his latest fuzz universe, I love it out of all the four we have talked about Paul might be the best today.

I work in probation so I get on this forum when i can to see if new stuff is coming out, but I can tell I could never beat you in a war of words, so I'm not even going to try,I'm not very good at it. I didn't mean to come off as a jerk, sorry about that. As long as we all agree to love what we love.

In an earlier quote to someone you said that u refuse to listen to the album,but yet it just seemed like you where saying i haven't listen to steve,and joe,and sadly I own almost everyone of there albums,so it just made me think, why is this guy saying I haven't heard something,when he is on a Malmsteen thread talking about his new album when he said he would never listen to it. That's all that made me lash out a little. I'm with you Malmsteen stuff has always all sound the same,and that's what I love about him, he got me into guitar a long time ago,and so did Vai,and Satch of course. For me now though when I listen to Super Collossal or Professor Satchafunkilus, they are really lame is the only word I can think of,nothing really jumps out, I've only heard a few tracks off youtube of his latest album, but it sounds about the same not a buy,maybe a download. As for Steve, I just really don't like him anymore that Where the Wild things dvd did it for me, I can't listen to him anymore.
Anyway Paul Gilbert though my brother sent me a copy of his latest fuzz universe, I love it out of all the four we have talked about Paul might be the best today.

I work in probation so I get on this forum when i can to see if new stuff is coming out, but I can tell I could never beat you in a war of words, so I'm not even going to try,I'm not very good at it. I didn't mean to come off as a jerk, sorry about that. As long as we all agree to love what we love.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to sound like a jerk either, nor did I want to engage in a war of words. And btw I agree with you on those two particular Satch albums (Colossal and Professor) - they weren't very good, which is why I never mentioned them. I do love Strange Beautiful Music, though.

And to make things fair, I will go ahead and check out the new Yngwie. :)

I have been a huge fanboi of Vai since his days with Zappa. It eclipses my Freak Kitchen fanboism by light years, and that's saying something. :)

I will be the first to admit that there seems to be that missing "hunger" or "fire" that Vai had in the 80's and early 90's. I have not been a fan of his recent studio output, however, live, Vai is still one of the best concerts to see both visually, and sonically. He remains the ultimate showman of guitar players bar none, imo. While seemingly complacent & playing it safe in the studio, live, he's a whole other animal. The latest DVD "Where The Wild Things Are" is absolutely incredible. Probably one of the best bands he's ever assembled.....

Last good album was Facing the Animal in 1998. Ever since then, it's just garbage and more garbage.

More or less. The shocking part is that I actually think Facing the Animal is easily one of the best Yngwie albums.

I gave the new album one listen, and that's all it will ever get. It's about half instrumentals, and Yngwie sings one of the actual lyrical songs. That leaves like 6 or 7 actual songs with Ripper on them. They're not bad, just not very good. But the production is absolutely terrible. It's unlistenable. Even worse than the new Circle II Circle album.