Yngwie J. Malmsteen - Relentless

I love Yngwie. Have not heard the new one yet. I also love Ripper, but I thought him singing for Yngwie was a mistake. There were a few good songs on Perpetual Flame however. I do wish Yngwie would hire an actual producer to push him and get the sound perfected. He's going to do things his way I guess. Sorry to hear the new one is uninspiring. Oh, and Yngwie when you need a good album cover, call me.

Yeah there were a couple decent songs on it, but the problem was the production sounded so awful it was hard to listen to. Much like I'm guessing this was, Ripper's vocals were buried in the mix. He definitely needs a producer, but I highly doubt he'll ever work with one again.

I once read an interview with Satch, where he said he'd love to produce Yngwie. If a sober Yngwie, could set aside his ego long enough to accept some producer-level input from Satch, I think we'd get something pretty special.

And not for nothing, but the new Satch disc is phenomenal.

I listened to this album again yesterday and it was ever worse this time around. That will be my last time listening to Relentless. This is the ONLY album by Yngwie I can;t listen too....and I am an UBER Fanboy of Yngwie's....

I listened to this album again yesterday and it was ever worse this time around. That will be my last time listening to Relentless. This is the ONLY album by Yngwie I can;t listen too....and I am an UBER Fanboy of Yngwie's....

I have to ask you this, since I absolutely refuse to even listen to this album. Coming from a fanboy like you, what exactly is it that makes this album so bad, aside from the obvious (that Yngwie can't write songs anymore)?

Hate him or not, he's easily one of the most influential metal guitarists.....ever.
He's kinda like AC/DC in that you know exactly what you're gonna get when you buy his stuff....I look forward to buying the new cd....I loved Perpetual Flame and Unleash The Fury, so I'm pretty sure what the new one will be like.

I'm a huge Ygnwie fan as well, and I also believe the heavenly touch is not a lot there on the last few albums. I really liked a few songs on Attack, but after that it's not as good anymore. He switched to doing the 'just record it' way of doing things, 'to give the songs a more natural feel' instead of editing it again and again and again. Well, I think it's just a lazy way of doing things. Part of the magic happens when changing and changing. Don't know if you ever listened to a demo of Perpetual for Fire and Ice and then the song on the album, it's completely different. This change in the way of doing things took place somewhere around Attack, and I think the songs are just less perfect then before.

Well back to this album. The riff from Blinded and the pedal thing in Into Valhalla both came from a never released version of Playing With Fire, before Attack. And the thing is, these are almost the most inspiring things happening on the whole album! Rest of it is mostly predictable and boring. The quick run at the beginning from Into Valhalla was copied from Baroque And Roll. I like the choirs after that. The solo from Blinded has some great feel (to me) in it, but what is with the gazillion scales played downwards before it? Am I supposed to like that? The Overture is really boring as well, just a lot of arpeggios. Some of the songs I never finished, just too boring.

Production is okay I think, but what the hell did he do with the drums?? It doesn't even sound like a drumkit anymore. Listen to Shot Across The Bow... really weird.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Hate him or not, he's easily one of the most influential metal guitarists.....ever.

Agreed. Doesn't change the fact that his music sucks now. (And yes, that is just my opinion) Look at Vai, Satriani, Gilbert... as influential as Yngwie, only they can still write music. Now I ask you, how is it that one of the most unbelievable guitarists in the 80s lost his mojo?

Comic Book Dude said:
He's kinda like AC/DC in that you know exactly what you're gonna get when you buy his stuff....

Absolutely! Which is exactly why I will never buy an AC/DC or an Yngwie album. I know *exactly* what I'm getting. :lol:

Comic Book Dude said:
I look forward to buying the new cd....I loved Perpetual Flame and Unleash The Fury, so I'm pretty sure what the new one will be like.

Awesome. Enjoy it, I mean it. =)

I think Yngwie can still write decent music...it's just not as innovative as it was in the 80's. I would argue that as genius as Vai and Satriani are, their songwriting sometimes leaves me cold and, especially with Satch, kinda boring. It's all a matter of taste, and musical preference. Yngwie is the master of what he does....neo-classical noodling/shredding to the nth degree, and he sticks to it. It's not for everyone anymore, but some of us still dig it.

I have to ask you this, since I absolutely refuse to even listen to this album. Coming from a fanboy like you, what exactly is it that makes this album so bad, aside from the obvious (that Yngwie can't write songs anymore)?

monotonous noodling...very little singing...the very same drums and bass playing throughout every damn song....

I forced myself to listen to almost all of this album today (using MOG.com). Just... a bad album... I just don't understand the production, I've heard better produced/mixed demos from unsigned/struggling bands. I can't imagine what he was thinking by releasing it sounding this bad.

The songs are a mix of Ripper fronted tunes (which apparently, as posted, he had no idea about this new album!), instrumental tracks, and at least one song was sung by Yngwie, bleh. I actually dug the one he sang on the last disc, but this one was pretty zzzzz.

His playing as noted was super monotonous wankery. The only NEW thing I noticed in that department is, he was playing notably faster on some tunes and was pretty damn clean at it, but who cares how fast you can go, if it goes nowhere.

Terrible.

Definitely not electronic at all. Kind of a return to basics. Very smooth, blends elements of Blues, Jazz and Funk into a style that is distinctly Satch.

I've heard a lot of good things about the new Satch disc. My dad even said it's his best work, so I definitely will be picking it up soon.

Last good album was Facing the Animal in 1998. Ever since then, it's just garbage and more garbage.

My sentiments exactly.
That album rawked....

I did find Alchemy rather appealing when it came out because it was very different from the previous ~5 outings, but now in retrospect it can only be seen as the first step down into shit valley.

The subsequent War to end all wars was the most horrible sounding album I have eve come across and I've loved Yngwie to death.
Since then I haven't even heard a single album I must confess but reviews from friends and foes have all been alike so I think it was a good call.

Would be so cool to see him return to form. I mean get together a band of skilled people that at least have even the slightest say in arrangements and songs and we might be able to get another gem.

Great news. I was worried about that aforementioned electronic direction, too.

add(to_buy_list; new_Satch_CD);

and the incredible Mike Keneally is playing keys on the tour...First stop in the US is @ Center Stage, IIRC

I've heard a lot of good things about the new Satch disc. My dad even said it's his best work, so I definitely will be picking it up soon.

Not to drag your dad into this (;)) but he'll never top Surfing With The Alien.....it's just NOT possible.....:Smokedev: