YOUR FAVORITE CD'S OF 2008?....

My Favorites of 2008 in order:

Gojira- The Way of All Flesh
Amon Amarth- Twilight of the Thundergods
Mercenary- Architect of Lies

Amorphis- Silent Waters (alright I know that this came out in 2007 HOWEVER it has been in my CD player non stop so I have to give it props for most listented to album of the year.)

Since I was broke at ProgPower, I do have an extensive list of recently released music that I asked for as gifts. So I am reserving my final decision until after X mas.

-MetalRose

I'm always surprised to see how much love there is for the 80s bands who are still making music. Obviously there's no way to do so, but I'd be curious to know how these discs would fair if they didn't have a familiar name on the CD booklet. I don't mean to insinuate that some of these discs aren't worthy. However, I think it's fair to say that some bands benefit from the nostalgia factor.

And speaking of how discs would fair without a familiar name on the booklet, I'd be even more curious to know how Metallica would fair. They're in the unique position of both benefiting and being hurt by their name.

Zod

I'm always surprised to see how much love there is for the 80s bands who are still making music. Obviously there's no way to do so, but I'd be curious to know how these discs would fair if they didn't have a familiar name on the CD booklet. I don't mean to insinuate that some of these discs aren't worthy. However, I think it's fair to say that some bands benefit from the nostalgia factor.

Zod

Whitesnake and Dokken seem to be the two that's most mentioned. With that said, I guess people think they've released worthy discs. Personally, I'm not a fan of Dokken's post 80's stuff, but Whitesnake has simply released a classic effort. I'm sure if David Coverdale hadn't been involved, then everyone would have a different view point. Basically, there is no Whitesnake without Coverdale.

~Brian~

After some thought, here are my top 10 for 2008...

1. Bullet for My Valentine - Scream, Aim, Fire (best metal release!)
2. Journey - Revelations
3. Brother Firetribe - Heart Full of Fire
4. Jon Oliva's Pain - Global Warning
5. Circle II Circle - Delusions of Grandeur
6. Metallica - Death Magnetic
7. Eluveitie - Slania
8. Korpiklanni - Korven Kuningas
9. Sabaton - The Art of War
10. Evergrey - Torn

~Brian~

After some thought, here are my top 10 for 2008...

1. Bullet for My Valentine - Scream, Aim, Fire (best metal release!)
2. Journey - Revelations
3. Brother Firetribe - Heart Full of Fire
4. Jon Oliva's Pain - Global Warning
5. Circle II Circle - Delusions of Grandeur
6. Metallica - Death Magnetic
7. Eluveitie - Slania
8. Korpiklanni - Korven Kuningas
9. Sabaton - The Art of War
10. Evergrey - Torn

~Brian~

It's creepy sometimes how close you and I fall on the tastes meter. Scream Aim Fire is one of the best front to back albums I've purchased in a while, haters be damned. I also REALLY like the new Journey CD as well. Haven't invested as much time with the Brother Firetribe or the Sabaton, but I'm looking forward to listening to them.

It's creepy sometimes how close you and I fall on the tastes meter. Scream Aim Fire is one of the best front to back albums I've purchased in a while, haters be damned. I also REALLY like the new Journey CD as well. Haven't invested as much time with the Brother Firetribe or the Sabaton, but I'm looking forward to listening to them.

Yeah, my taste seems to be pretty much on par with yours, VenomGA's, and Azrael LenGraden's most of the time. :kickass:

~Brian~

Zod

For me personally the "name" has nothing to do with the music itself. Dokken released "Hell To Pay" several years ago, and I thought it blew. This year they released "Lightning Strikes again", and I absolutely love it.

Bottom line I'm an 80s Hard rock fan PERIOD. Marcello/Vestry is in my top 10 this year, and its a brand new band with no nostalgia yet its the "sound" I like.

Now do I believe some people like these releases simply because of the name? I'm gonna have to agree with you there. I think if you took the last 2 Metallica CDs and slapped another name on the disc, they wouldnt sell for jack shit. I also believe the same for the new shitty "Buns N Asses" CD.

But again for me its all about the hook, the melody, the vocals, and most definately the production. Band names play no factor. Take Edguy for instance LOVED Hellfire Club, and everything prior to that. I thought Rocket Ride was "ok", and I refer to the new one as "Tendonitis Scrotom". That should tell you my overall opinion on it. ;)

I think if you took the last 2 Metallica CDs and slapped another name on the disc, they wouldnt sell for jack shit.

This statement might be dead on for the majority of the public. Speaking for myself, I've not liked anything from Metallica since the black album until Death Magnetic came out earlier this year.

I'll check out the Mercello/Vestry release. Didn't you like the Poley/Riveria release as well? I haven't been able to get my hands on it, but I eventually will.

~Brian~

This statement might be dead on for the majority of the public. Speaking for myself, I've not liked anything from Metallica since the black album until Death Magnetic came out earlier this year.
I'll grant you this is their best disc since Load. However, as most would acknowledge, that doesn't say much. That said, I can't figure out why anyone here likes this disc. The vocals, guitar work and drumming are, at best, average. As for the songwriting... you have a bunch of seven minute songs that have no justification for being longer than four minutes. And if there are hooks, I can't hear them. I played the MP3s once, all the way through. Not a single line, riff or melody caught my ear. However, in much the same way some people may be guilty of overrating this disc because they long for something reminicent of Metallica's greatness, I may be guilty of the opposite, as I root for their demise.

Zod

I'll check out the Mercello/Vestry release. Didn't you like the Poley/Riveria release as well? I haven't been able to get my hands on it, but I eventually will.

~Brian~

Yea agreed thats why I said some as I dont wanna lump everyone into that category. Yes I am the one who loves the Poley/Rivera disc as well. I guess there has been a ton of delays but its being released next week. I only have it because I'm on the Angelmilk Records (Andrew from melodicrock.com's label) promo list.

Let me know what you think when you get around to either the Marcello/Vestry, or Poley/Rivera discs!

However, in much the same way some people may be guilty of overrating this disc because they long for something reminicent of Metallica's greatness, I may be guilty of the opposite, as I root for their demise.

Zod

You are about 15 years too late on the "wishing for Metallica's demise" bandwagon.

Of course the new Metallica is selling because of the name on the jacket.

Do you think Nostradamous would have sold more than 50 copies if it were recorded by a younger band? No!

Would ANYONE care about an album called Chinese Democracy if it weren't hyped for 15 years? No!

Long running bands have three types of audiences:
1) Fans who have been with them for the majority of their career
2) Older fans who come back periodically, due to hype or seeing them on a big tour, but probably would never purchase a new album
3) New school kids getting into them for the first time

Either way, those three pools added up equate to album and ticket sales.

You are about 15 years too late on the "wishing for Metallica's demise" bandwagon.

Of course the new Metallica is selling because of the name on the jacket.

Do you think Nostradamous would have sold more than 50 copies if it were recorded by a younger band? No!

Would ANYONE care about an album called Chinese Democracy if it weren't hyped for 15 years? No!

Long running bands have three types of audiences:
1) Fans who have been with them for the majority of their career
2) Older fans who come back periodically, due to hype or seeing them on a big tour, but probably would never purchase a new album
3) New school kids getting into them for the first time

Either way, those three pools added up equate to album and ticket sales.

4) Every so often these older bands put out a great album...

Although Death Magnetic is pretty damn good it's not great... Chinese Democracy bleck... but I thought Nostradamus was very cool...

Nostradamus was ok, but, to Zod's point / question, the only reason they could release a double album that was pushed as hard as it was is due to the band name on the jacket.

Hell yes on the Marcello Vestry, head over to YouTube and listen to One More Night and tell me you don't wanna cruise round town with the top down looking for some long blonde hair and lingerie, cos that's what it takes to get us there.

No particular order... not all metal, either.

Firewind - The Premonition
Versailles - Noble
Hellhound - Metal Fire From Hell
Monoral - Via
Sabaton - The Art of War
Avian - Ashes and Madness
Andromeda - The Immunity Zone
Jeff Loomis - Zero Order Phase
Acid Black Cherry - Blacklist
Joy Electric - My Grandfather, The Cubist

My top 10 of the year, in random order:

Kingfisher Sky - Hallway Of Dreams
King's X - XV
Falconer - Among Beggars And Thieves
Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls
Brave - Monuments
Ayreon - 01011001
Korpiklaani - Korven Kuni
Amaseffer - Exodus: Slaves For Life
Andromeda - The Immunity Zone
Within Temptation - Black Symphony

A baker's dozen of some of my favorites from this year, although I have yet to hear a bunch of things that may end up on my "Best Of" list in January (like the new Marshall Law).

In no particular order:

Eden's Curse - The Second Coming
Firewind-The Premonition
Helstar - King of Hell
Judas Priest- Nostradamus
Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again
Michael Vescera - A Sign Of Things To Come
Journey - Revelations
Benedictum - Seasons of Tragedy
Dominici- O3 A Trilogy Part 3
Jon Oliva's Pain- Global Warning
Greg Howe - Soundproof
Whitesnake - Good To Be Bad
Michael Schenker - In The Midst Of Beauty

Yea agreed thats why I said some as I dont wanna lump everyone into that category. Yes I am the one who loves the Poley/Rivera disc as well. I guess there has been a ton of delays but its being released next week. I only have it because I'm on the Angelmilk Records (Andrew from melodicrock.com's label) promo list.

Let me know what you think when you get around to either the Marcello/Vestry, or Poley/Rivera discs!

Well, I guess that explains why I've not been able to get the Poley disc! I was thinking it had already been released, but received bad promotion. I sampled the Marcello/Vestry disc and it sounds great! I'll be purchasing soon! :headbang:

~Brian~