Your Introduction To Metal...

Heavenly Call

Jul 30, 2002
Atlanta, GA
www.myspace.com
I know a forum similar to this existed once before, but in light of the Dragonforce discussion in another thread, I'd like to hear how all of us "elite metal fans" first got into this music we now so proudly defend!

ME: Was given Warrant's "Cherry Pie" and LA Guns "Cocked And Loaded" albums as a birthday present when I was 12 (crazy uncle) (1991). I liked them, but I was just getting into Nirvana really seriously so I somewhat discarded them. About 5 years later I was cleaning some stuff and ran across them again. I put them on and it was like a whole new experience for some reason. I slowly moved from that onto some other "popular" hair bands Poison, Dokken, Europe, etc. Around this same time my cousin married a TOTAL metalhead and we hit it off instantly. He introduced me to the idea of pawn-shopping for metal and also told me about a little place called Nuclear Blast. I've been going ever since.

So for me it was hair metal tapes and a "big-brother" figure. What about you?:headbang:

Well, my intro to hard rock was KISS and Cheap Trick when I was very young, late 70's / early 80's. Mid-80's, it was bands like AC/DC, Maiden, Crue, Metallica, Motorhead. Later 80's was more thrashier stuff, like VoiVod, Kreator, Helloween, etc..... Late 90's was more of the newer power metal stuff, ala HammerFall, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, etc....

Mine was during my middle school days during the 80s. My first real dose of good guitar playing was from John Sykes (Whitesnake). After I heard Still of the Night and Here I Go Again in 1987, I was a born again metal head! \nn/ From there I got into the "hair bands" of the day and eventually got into the thrash metal movement. I loved bands like Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, and Testament. I've always owed my original conversion to Whitesnake though. :)

Heavenly Call said:
I know a forum similar to this existed once before, but in light of the Dragonforce discussion in another thread, I'd like to hear how all of us "elite metal fans" first got into this music we now so proudly defend!

Oh lord, I don't even know where I first heard Metal. My three brothers and I have been listening to this stuff all they back to the late 70's. As I mentioned in that "DragonForce" thread, I remember listening to Judas Priest's British Steel on vinyl, along with Kiss Live, and even the soundtrack for the Heavy Metal movie. Throw in some Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, and many others. Then going into the 80's, (jr high/high-school) plenty of Dokken, Twisted Sisters, Def Leppard, and so forth, although I never really cared much for Poison myself ("Every Rose Has Its Thorn" was so overplayed on the radio, plus I did not like the song anyway). Of course, during this time, I was also listening to a lot of Styx, Rush, The Cars, Pink Floyd, Yes, Toto, Jethro Tull, ELP, and so forth. Going into the late 80's/early 90's (college), I went through the kick with Nirvana, Gun-N-Roses, Stabbing Westward, Bush, and the like, but still spinning the old Styx, Rush, Pink Floyd, etc. To this day, I still listen to my trusty old collection of Rush, Styx and Pink Floyd, along with those other "classics".

By the mid to late 90's, it was not long before I quickly grew tired of the Nirvana and thier ilk, and wanted to find something "new" and "fresh". Hell, I don't even remember the last time I've listened to my copy of Bush's Sixteen Stones album. Enter the "mp3.com" site along with the "Music Choice" channels that I had on my then brand-new DirecTV service (before they were replaced by XM Radio feeds). That first time I've heard that Stratovarius track on there and I was instantly hooked (Yes, they used to play Stratovarious quite a bit on the Music Choice channels, and occasionally hear them on the "Boneyard" channel on XM Radio - hell even heard Hammerfall on there!). It was not long before I discovered others such as Sonata Arctica, Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, and many others (and still discovering. Just this past weekend, I found out about Winterlong and Galloglass as well as Sky Cloud). After spending the last five years or so listening to many of these other bands, it dawned on me that this is very much an extension of my love for bands such as Styx, Pink Floyd, and Rush (which I still listen to).

Yes, this has been a very interesting journey musically, and it is so much fun to discover even more, obscure stuff. Incredible just how much awesome music there is out there, especially once you get away from the so-called "mainstream". Much of this is definitly helped by the internet. Before, like most everyone else, it was pretty much the radio and MTV where I went to find out about music (I remember spending many an evening, taping songs off the radio), plus the occaisonal magazine, as well as "word of mouth" from friends. Unfortunatly the radio, MTV and such has gotten too "commericial" and "generic", plus the music coming from the mainstream today just seems to suck so royally these days. Kinda sad when listening to the radio and I just had no interest in wanting to buy any albums from the bands that I've been hearing. Nowadays, I don't even listen to the local FM stations (Still pissed to this day how Clear Channel pretty much ruined XL102.1 out of Richmond - long gone are the days when Styx, Rush, The Cars, Pink Floyd, etc, were still in heavy rotation, and now it is all "alternative"), let alone, watch MTV and any of thier spin-offs.

In middle school, I was really big into the whole nu-metal thing. Then one day, when I was about 14/15, I was on a message board and found out about Dream Theater and Symphony X. I started listening to them but they were the only metal bands I listened to. My friend told me about Sonata Arctica but they were the only power metal band he knew of. I started listening to them and loved their music but I didn't try to find more of it. Then, when I was about 16, I found out about Stratovarius and my love of metal grew from that.

My sister was raped my a dragon. Naturally, I set off to slay said dragon. Long story short, in what can only be described as an "epic battle", I gloriously defeated and killed the offending dragon. Shortly thereafter, I learned there was an entire genre of music dedicated to people like myself, and quite naturally, I was drawn to it.

Zod

Back in the early 80's, we had a show on in Providence, RI called the Heavy Metal Hour - it was on at 11:00p on either Friday or Saturday (I can't recall which night). I made sure I was at the radio every week for it. I actually taped (via cassette) about 2 full years of it (those are long gone now). Shortly after that, I got a decent stereo system (Technics receiver, Technics turntable with a Hitachi tape deck) at Student Discount on Thayer Street (by Brown University). My first metal LP's were 'Number of the Beast', 'Blizzard of Ozz' and Kiss' 'Double Platinum'. I was hooked on the guitar sounds in the music. I found myself down at Eastern Discount (on Mineral Spring Ave) weekly checking out the new album releases (vinyl).

I have never looked back. It was hard then because you couldn't always find the music I heard on the Metal Hour. Today, you can get everything, I just can't afford the vast amount of material I want to purchase...

I guess that's a good problem if you are a metal fan...

I'm in my 40s now, so this will be old school...

Deep Purple's "Smoke On The Water" and Grand Funk Railroad's "We're An American Band" were my introduction. "Smoke..." was the first sheet music my mother bought for me when I was learning piano. She quickly got sick of me playing it constantly, so I knew I was on to something.

A neighbor that was a few years older than me used to crank Black Sabbath's "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" record out his bedroom window while we would hang out in his yard. That was very inspirational. However, Kiss "Alive" changed my world forever.

Being a keyboardist from a very young age, I also started listening to the progressive virtuosos of the era...i.e. Yes, ELP, Genesis. The little ol' band from Canada, Rush, was the perfect combination of hard rock and prog rock and remain my favorite band to this day. Judas Priest "Unleashed..." was the definitive metal record of the time.

Then the NWOBHM bands...early Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Motorhead. Then Scorpions, Rainbow, Dio-era Sabbath, Dio on his own. Queensryche came out of nowhere and blew every one away with their first couple records. Obviously, the 80's era with Dokken, Whitesnake, Van Halen...

Metallica for awhile, with Megadeth. Somewhere along the way through the ugly 90's, I heard "Pull Me Under" from Dream Theater and it was the first breath of fresh progressive metal I had heard in a long, long time. Although they catch lots of crap here, I still consider them to be the blueprint power prog band for where we are now as their influence is unmistakable.

Wow. Interesting question......for me, I can remember being at K-mart when I was 8 years old and looking at the record department and seeing the KISS Alive album on display. I begged my mom to buy it for me - and I had no idea what it would sound like........the second thing that pops into my head was being at a friends house in like 1981 or 82 and after playing the aforementioned KISS record, his older brother came home with 2 new records "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" and "Killers".......that did it for me - I was hooked. From there I bought every record under the sun....then I discovered a new band called W.A.S.P. I again was floored and now I had a new sub-genre - hair metal.....I again bought every cassette/cd by every band known to man......after that it was on to the 90's, in which power metal runs my life, with bands like Helloween, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, etc. leading the way......

Symphony X - Smoke and Mirrors - heard it on a DMX music station on DirecTV back in the day- I bought their albums, saw a "TOURING THIS FALL WITH STRATOVARIUS" sticker on the cover, figured they must be awesome if SX was opening for them, and then made my way to the SX forum here, and discovered many many other bands.. The rest is history. I began my conversion in 7th grade, Im entering my senior year in high school - still a metal head, and I dont see myself wearing out of it for some time.

Once upon a time....a long, long, long, long, loooooooooooong time ago.......it all began.....Sabbath, Priest, Purple, Zep, Humble Pie, Cream and others.....
....was there pretty much from the start....addicted virtually from birth on music.

Being in my 40's I've been through all phases as well.

My initial introduction was Kiss - Rock and Roll All Night and Deep Purple - Smoke on the water. Also listened to a lot of Aerosmith and Ted Nugent and Nazareth - Hair of the Dog. As I got older I was into the Scorpions, Van Halen, but still craved something heavier. I picked up a copy of Axe Attack Vol 2 which had Motorhead (Ace of Spades), Iron Maiden (Murders In The Rue Morgue), Michael Schenker (Armed & Ready), among others...Motorhead was the band that really got me hooked onto the heavier stuff and Iron Maiden soon because a favorite after picking up Killers, then Number of the beast. Always loved that dual guitar, faster music like Aces High, The Trooper etc.. to me Helloween was a natural progression since it was faster and had the qualities I dug in Maiden. I've always been partial to Power metal but have listened to it all. Went through the phase of trying to find bands faster and more extreme than Motorhead so I listened to Kreator, Slayer, Possessed. Always loved the guitar soloing so I enjoyed stuff from Michael Schenker, Megadeth (w/Marty Friedman) and really enjoyed Rush so I was always looking for some decent Prog Metal as well.

My musical journey started with the purchase of two 45's - Pink Floyd's "Another Brick In the Wall" and Styx' "Too Much Time On My Hands." I remember wearing the needle out on my sister's record player spinning those. My first introduction to metal was 7th grade when this kid came to school with a walkman and the Iron Maiden "Killers" cassette tape. I was hooked instantly. From there I expanded into Priest and discovered Queensrÿche a short while later... from there the floodgates opened during my high school and college years... too many bands to list. When grunge started to break I listened to AiC, Soundgarden and Nirvana like everyone, but I always would come back to those early bands that got me started no matter what was radio-friendly at the time, and continued my progressive leanings with Dream Theater, etc.

I started to feel old when VH-1 played all the bands from my younger days on the 'Metal Mania' show... On the other hand, I have to thank MTV2 for my discovery of Evergrey and my resurging interest in progressive metal.

It's almost like being a kid again!

Thorn23TX said:
It's almost like being a kid again!

I know what you mean. This is how I felt in the late 90's when I first heard bands like Iced Earth and HammerFall. It was cool to know there were underground bands who were playing true heavy metal.

Jasonic said:
That must be a very RARE record!!!!!!!
My copy of BRITISH STEEL was recorded by some band by the name of Judas Priest.

Hey, what can I say - that was nearly 30 years ago! I do remember listening to an album called "British Steel" on vinyl as well as albums by Black Sabbath. I guess I should've check it before posting that up. Yes, Judas Priest was included in those hazy, early days as well.

SkiBumMSP said:
Hey, what can I say - that was nearly 30 years ago! I do remember listening to an album called "British Steel" on vinyl as well as albums by Black Sabbath. I guess I should've check it before posting that up. Yes, Judas Priest was included in those hazy, early days as well.

I know, I am just goofin' on ya!

SkiBumMSP said:

You mean I wasted all afternoon searching online to find that missing Sabbath album I don't have...

:lol: