Your introduction to Metal?

My introduction to metal was seeing KISS on the Paul Lynde Halloween special back in October of 1975 (when I was six years old). They held me over until I was nine years old, and I started hearing things like Aerosmith, Nugent, and AC/DC. The very next year, Blizzard of Ozz hit the airwaves, and I was hooked. By '83, when I heard Maiden's "Piece of Mind", and '84, when I heard Metallica's "Ride the Lightning", well, I guess the rest is history...

Mine was Kiss when i was 5,and since that day metal and rock n roll have been in my system, i got one for u all
Metal its the music of my body's sexual preference jejeje
and now my fav band its Helloween, and hopefully they will have a new album

I think for me it was back around 89' when I was in 8th grade. I had a few hard rock cassettes I had bought with my own money washing dishes at a diner. Most of these 5 or 6 albums I had on cassette were butt rock albums because of seeing certain music videos on the Hard 60 on MTV (Winger, White Lion, Skid Row ect...) at the time I thought that was heavy metal!

It was around the same time that year I was visiting my mom in Salt Lake and while there went to a friends house (a female friend... who I was VERY interested in at the time!) who was having a B-Day. While there, a few guys there pointed fingers and made fun of MY selection of tunes I brought, and some of them took me under there wing, gave a me a beer, took me into another room and told me to "Listen to this heavy shit! "

Thus, these kind stangers introduced me to Metallica "And Justice..." , Anthrax - "Among The Living" and Overkill - "Under The Influence"

I was instantly hooked and the rest is history.....

Heheh these are some great stories people!!!:headbang:

Mine was a fluke, if I didn't do what I did that one fateful day I would still be a wnna be cholo LOL:Smokin:

NOT!! anyway, I was walking home one day after school (7th grade) and I kicked a tape that had no writing on it, I picked it up and it was in really good condition,just the writing had been faded off of it. Well I get home and I put it into my tape player and I hear a Belllllllll!!! And another Belllllllll!!! Then it started HELLS BELLS!!!!!! That was it for me, its been all downhill ever since:Smokedev:

Bought my first guitar shortly there after!!!

Bear

I went from AM radio fodder and movie musicals as a kid, to FM radio stuff as a high schooler (Van Halen, AC/DC, Boston, etc.), to Sabbath & Priest & Maiden & Queensrÿche after high school, & it just kept evolving from there..and here I am! :)

I got hooked into metal when I saw a documentary on Iron Maiden on Brazilian TV. The key turning moment was when they showed the clip of Fear of the Dark. I bought the CD a couple of days later, and 8 years later I have over 1,000 metal CDs!

Same as most of you guys, i got hooked on Metallica's black album and Maiden's FOTD, and stayed pretty mainstream for a while, then one day I walk into Newbury Comics and hear these killer riffs playing - In Flames WHORACLE CD...after that- GAME OVER.

Ok I feel kinda old...but here goes..

My first metal album was Quiet Riot Bang Your Head (8th Grade) then Twisted Sister Stay Hungry, then I saw this really cool black album cover with an upside down star on it by a band called Motley Crue (Shout at the Devil) Bought it because it looked cool..loved it..hence, the addiction started! <--these were all vinyl. Shortly after that I started watching Head bangers Ball. Saw this really killer video called War Ensemble (Slayer), and another one called Practice what you Preach (Testament) These two bands became my absolute favorites! This graduated into Sepultura, Suicidal Tendencies, In Flames, Opeth, ...the list goes on and on!!!

Hail Metal!!!:headbang:

Welcome to the church of Suicidal..

You definetly can't forget them!

BTW...I'm completely jealous of you..livin in NC! Race shops everywhere!!!!

I'm sort of addicted to Nascar. My Dad got me started when I was about 7 (in '77). and I just can't seem to stop..although I don't really like all the commercialization over the last 5 years. BUT it's nice to see televised races more than two or three times a year. Living on the west coast there's not much intrest in racing..so I always think it would be cool to live where it started..

Originally posted by JayKeeley
It's always interesting to hear how people first got introduced to the music - you know, that one defining moment where you knew there was no turning back!

For me, I remember it well - I was 14, I was on a family holiday, and a cousin let me borrow Ozzy's "Bark at the Moon". I knew immediatley I wanted more...

I'd heard metal before obviously, but it was Ozzy who pushed me over the edge!

How about you guys?

:)

My older brother playing his "Somewhere In Time" and "Peace Sells" tapes for me in 1986 when I was 4.