your personal "best guitar" opinions

Ok since Yetti chose to misunderstand my question, I'll rephrase it: Does it matter much what amp I use, what are the differences and what are your recommendations?

Taliesin said:
Ok since Yetti chose to misunderstand my question, I'll rephrase it: Does it matter much what amp I use, what are the differences and what are your recommendations?

hehe yes it matters very much, there are two types of amps out thee now, tube and Solid State. Solid state is just capacitors and transistors, and a bunch of electrical stuff. Opeth uses Laney, which are GREAT solid state amps. Tube uses vacuum tubes to get their sound, creating a much more organic and rich sound. It's all based on opinion, but some amps that use solid state are:

Crate, Marshall MG and AVT series' (sometimes an AVT wil have a preamp tube, but i still call it Solid state), Laney, fender princeton, Marshall Valvestate (it has some tubes but i still don't call it tube).

Tube amps are:

Marshall JCM series
Mesa Boogie
Orange (some of the best amps in the world)
VHT (Also some of the best amps in the world)
Engl
Framus
Fender (i cant remember which ones look at the deluxe reverb [some argue that it is the cleanest amp ever])
Crate Blue Voodoo

Then theres cabinets, different cabinets have different speaker voicings. it's hard to explain, but check out the speaker specs at www.celestion.com
they have graphs which show you the range to tone the particular speaker has. The cabinet construction is a factor to, you don't want shitty or loose wood fucking up your tones. Orange makes really good cabinets, but they are expensive as fuck.

Hope it helps.

i didn't know laney's were solid state. it doesn't really matter for opeth since they use them as a PA for their boss gt6's.

those orange cabs are also heavy as fuck along with randall xl's.

I reccomend the Peavey 5150 if your strictly playing metal, the clean channel is decent, but its kind of raw... Im thinking about getting a Laney amp... those sound amazing IMO. Go to your local music store and check them out, all of the heads have something different to offer.

i forgot, 5150's arent made anymore, now they are like the 6505 or soemthing, try looking for a an older 5150 in some used music stores...
I use a Marshall 300 watt 1960a/b cabinet, i get amazing tone out if it, its slanted, i prefer slanted because sound projects in 2 directions and IMO is louder.... I agree PRS' are amazing guitars, but they get hurt, scratched or dented, very easily cause of the thin outside... umm, i didnt know Laney are Solid State either... and Opeth got rid of there Gt-6's now a days i think. But yeah, hmmm, i reccomend tube. And the Deluxe reverb by fender IMO is the best amp ive ever used for clean. I use it at the Blues Alley in DC for practice and gigs, holy shit that thing is amazing, i made my schecter with EMG's sound like a Gibson hollow body.... so smooooootthhhhh

The Leper said:
i forgot, 5150's arent made anymore, now they are like the 6505 or soemthing, try looking for a an older 5150 in some used <a href='http://consumeralertsystem.com/cas/zx-hclick.php?hid=268' target='_blank'>music</a> stores...
I use a Marshall 300 watt 1960a/b cabinet, i get amazing tone out if it, its slanted, i prefer slanted because sound projects in 2 directions and IMO is louder.... I agree PRS' are amazing guitars, but they get hurt, scratched or dented, very easily cause of the thin outside... umm, i didnt know Laney are Solid State either... and Opeth got rid of there Gt-6's now a days i think. But yeah, hmmm, i reccomend tube. And the Deluxe reverb by fender IMO is the best amp ive ever used for clean. I use it at the Blues Alley in DC for practice and gigs, holy shit that thing is amazing, i made my schecter with EMG's sound like a Gibson hollow body.... so smooooootthhhhh

same amp..different name, right? im actually thinking about getting a 6505 plus. or what used to be called a 5150 II. that fucker sounds amazing through the Randall Warhead cab that i have. a Marshall 1960 would be awesome to have too. anyone know how much they go for? new and used.

i really like rhoads and explorer shaped guitars. Jacksons, Gibsons, and ESPs take the cake

as for amps DONT get a marshall MG (unfortunately i bought one) or AVT there fucking muddy as hell once they get up past 1/4 volume. i love mesa boogie recs, Marshall JCM 800s and kranks (expensive i know but what the hell) as for cabinets i cant find anything better than Framus (although still expensive) if you like lamb of god willie adler has 9 of these fuckers