your top 5 favorite vocalist

As of now, my list would be:

Ray Alder
Russell Allen
Ray Gillen
Steve Perry
Joe Lynn Turner

Very hard to narrow it down to 5... Now if you had said most influential... Be a very different list for me, but Ray Alder would still be tops :D

I hate to say it, but I forgot to mention and old school rock guy...... Paul Rogers. Without him, Russell Allen (on his ballad style,) Ray Gillen and countless others wouldn't have existed in their form. I think though he is quite famous, Paul may be the most underappreciated vocalist there is from the rock/metal world considering how dominant he was.

Bryant

Wow!
This question is kind of like choosing your favorite child. Seeing as how I'm an aspiring vocalist, I would kill to have the talents of so many singers. There are singers who have a really unique style, and there are those who are incredible live performers. If pressed against a wall with a gun to the head, I would have to say...........

1) Ronnie James Dio--The granddaddy of them all! He still has a powerful voice at the age of 64!
2) James Labrie--The voice that turned me onto progressive metal. I dare anybody to try singing like he does for three hours night after night.
3) Ray Alder--Though he's lost his high range over the years, he still sings with more power and emotion than most guys out there.
4) Daniel Gildenlow--If he can keep it up half as long as Dio has, this guy may very well reach the top of my list. This guy can sing ANYTHING!
5) Russell Allen--I get goosebumps listening to this guy. It's like listening to angel one minute and a caged animal the next.

Honorable mentions must go to Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, Mark Boals, Ian Gillen (why hasn't anyone mentioned him?), Harry Conklin, Khan, D.C. Cooper, Urban Breed (he's new on my list), and C.J. Snare (I don't care what anyone says. Firehouse rocks!)

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Here goes:

Looks like 4 of my 5 were already mentioned.

Zachary Stevens - Savatage/Circle II Circle
Matthew Barlow - Iced Earth
Russell Allen - Symphony X
Andy Frank - Brainstorm
Dirk Thurisch - Angel Dust

Russell Allen
Bruce Dickinson
Mike Scalzi
Roy Khan
Zak Stevens

...oh hell, I couldn't keep it to 5 (I tried, I really did!). Hansi Kursch, Jens Carlsson, and Andy Franck.

Ugh, what a hell of a decision.

Mike Patton (first I've seen him mentioned)
King Diamond
Jon Oliva
Glenn Danzig (pre-blackacidevil)
Bruce Dickinson

and so many that deserve mention: Rob Halford, Chuck Billy, James Rivera, Ian Astbury (good call whoever mentioned him), Kai Hansen, Peter Steele (Type O Negative), 'Blitz' Ellsworth, Matt Barlowe, Warrell Dane, Alice Cooper, the list goes on and on...

Ryan

My 5 in no particular order

Dio
Dickenson
Halford
Tate
Jorn Lande

The top 4 I grew up on and Jorn, well he's just incredible.

Kim

In order:

Russel Allen (Sym X)
Ethereal Magnanimus/Daniel Heiman (now ex-Lost Horizon as of 6 days ago)
Nils Patrik Johansson ( Wuthering Heights )
Urban Breed ( Tad Morose )
Bruce Dickenson
Dio

Honorable Mention :
David DeFeis ( Virgin Steele)
Tobias Sammet ( Edguy)
Tarja Turunen( Nightwish)
Andre Matos (Shaman/Angra)

I don't think I could name 5 either... not in any order after #1:

1. Russell Allen
2. Lance King
3. Andre Matos
4. Andy B. Frank
5. Geoff Tate
6. Roy Khan
7. Tarja
8. Sebastian Bach

Not in order:
Tarja Turunen (Nightwish)
Simone Simons (Epica)
Tom S. Eglund (Evergrey)
James LaBrie (Dream Theater)
Glenn Hughes
Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
Nomination for best grunter: Mark Jansen (ex-After Forever, now Epica)