60s Music

NinjaGeek

Feb 22, 2007
What are some of your favorite bands from the 60s of any genre? Personally I really enjoy Kaleidoscope for experimental rock type stuff, and Perrey & Kingsley for really interesting and out there electronic music.

Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Muddy Waters, Cream, Bob Dylan, Nick Drake, Steppenwolf, MC5, Johnny Cash, King Crimson, Pink Floyd (though I prefer their 70's output up until The Wall), Leonard Cohen, Scott Walker. Probably a bunch more but those are some of the more notable ones.

Most of those easily span several decades but they all released great (and often some of their best) stuff in the 60's.

the 60's is a hard decade to tie down musically. The difference between the music of the early 60's & late 60's is large. Many of the bands mentioned didnt release material till 69 and didnt achieve their audience base until the 70's. The particular era I enjoyed was 67-75/76 and stands apart from the two actual decades. This would include bands such as Hendrix, Joplin, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Allman Brothers, Guess Who, James Gang, Mountain, Free, Tull, ELP, King Crimson, Sabbath, Rooster, Grand Funk, Uriah Heep and streaches far enough to include such bands as Queen, Rush and Crack the Sky. I wasnt much on the Beatles, the Doors or the flower power, Haight-Ashbury kind of stuff. I like some of the songs but, it just wasnt my era or style.

^ Right on. ELP, Sab, Mountain, ELO, that one Crimson record, Heap, etc - so many breakout albums by monster bands.

Allman Bros., Cream, Blind Faith, Doors, Moody Blues, King Crimson, Beatles, The Animals, Stones, Yardbirds, Zeppelin,
I'm sure there's more, and the more I think about it the more I realize how much I enjoy this era.

Didnt like that Blind Faith album, I might even still have it.

For some totally wrong reason I alway forget to mention Deep Purple, very pivotal hard rock band who were actually well into production during the late 60's. Early Journey was pretty good too, pre Steven Perry they were a bit progressive but thats early 70's. Then theres Golden Earing and Focus, Focus had some cool music, they also had some dogs but the impact of Hocus Pocus was phenominal and that was '71 (I think). Hendrix and Joplin changed it all by putting more ass and substance behind the music.

Fuck yeah! Deep Purple are fucking awesome!

I always seem to associate them withe 70's, as that's when they produced their best material

I love Deep Purple but have never heard any of their pre-In Rock material so I always see them as more of a 70's band too. That's when they released their three classic albums.

well everybodys heard Hush, that was on the album Shades of Deep Purple which was released in July of 68 believe it or not. It was a cover song by Joe South which was written much earlier. Then everyones heard Kentucky Woman, that was on The Book of Taliesyn, released in Oct '68, another cover, written by Neil Diamond. They had a third album "Deep Purple" released in '69. But yea In Rock was '70.

Like I said many of the bands mentioned here really were'nt the sound of the 60's but the new sound that was developing and changing music. Its a very hard decade to pinpoint musically.

The Court of the Crimson King - Oct. 69 just under the decade wire
Jethro Tull - This Was (whos heard that?)1968
Stand Up Aug '69 again just under the wire (good record)
Benefit - April '70
LZ I - Jan '69
LZ II - Oct '69
The Allman Brothers - self titled first release Nov '69
Blind Faith - Aug '69
Mountain - Climbing March '70
The Guess Who actually had 6 lp's between '65&'69 but the heavier American Woman was '70
James Gang - Yer' Album - March '69 find the song Funk #48 its a must have, not Funk #49 we are most likely fimiliar with but Funk #48, Joe Walsh deserves more credit for giving us chunky riffs

^this was the new sound

The aged late 60's sound was The Doors, The Byrds, The Association, The Animals, The Momas and Papas, Bob Dylan,early The Rolling Stones, early The Who, [Cream Hendrix Joplin & Steppenwolf (way ahead of the rest)], The Velvet Underground, The Kinks, The Band * notice all these bands excluding the ones I sorta separated use "The" in their name. The Band had some cool songs. What about Buffulo Springfield ?

Like I said many of the bands mentioned here really were'nt the sound of the 60's but the new sound that was developing and changing music. Its a very hard decade to pinpoint musically.

I can't think of a single other decade that has a unified musical sound that could easily be pinpointed either. Sure there might be overall trends, but most of the time the most interesting bands are the ones that defy those. If it was released between 1960 and 1970 it's 60's music.

Disagree, while I understand the "technically" basis of time lines... most of the material in my top list of bands wasnt even heard by most ears until the 70's, its the new music people were listening to in the 70's in other words. The 80's is fairly solid but change began in late 70's and the change of the 90's occured in the early 90's. I can think of no decade that compares to the 60's for such an extreme change. The period between 68 & 72 stands apart. Someone with more knowledge of the earlier 60's music than myself could probably break the 60's down into at least 3 distinct periods. In started out pretty much in the vain of 50's RnR, then you have the Beatles and Stones change, then the psychedelic/flower power stuff, then the post Hendrix/Cream heavy stuff.

I'm not trying to argue a point really, I just wanted people that may not be aware of when some of the material mentioned was released and got most of its listening as new music was in the 70's. You either get what Im talking about or you dont, no big deal.

I dont even remember whats on it. I remember the song ? Someboby must change ? Somebody Holds the Key ? whatever it was but thats recieved a fair amount of FM airplay over the years, seems there was another that got some play too. Im pretty sure I still have it. My old LP's are buried, I havent had a turntable in nearly 20 years. I remember it started a dislike for Steve Windwoods voice that I probably still have. Not that he cant sing it was just his tone or something. I probably wanted more rugged stuff like Cream was.

I was begining to catch up my CD collection last year on Tull and bought Stand Up, Aqualung and the new live version of Aqualung they did in the XM studio which is pretty good. I have Thick As a Brick but not Benefit and dont remember how that was. Stand Ups not bad. I have Songs from the Wood on vinyl and really liked that back in the 70's but havent heard it in decades now either.