A brief note on the roster...

Too many quotes to copy, so here goes:
Firstly, I didn't label Amorphis as anything.
I was referring to the growling thing as being "cookie monster" and in my opinion, there simply is nothing prog/power about that style of vocals.
That is death metal, and while I have always been of the opinion that, hey, anyone remember when it was just fuckin' METAL and it all kicked ass, prog power is PROG POWER, not death, not black, not screamo emo thrash punk or anything else.
Thusly...we here at Prog_Muse Industries don't associate the cookie monster vocals with progressive or power metal.
That covers THAT.
As far as Amorphis only doing the growling in however many songs...it's just sad to me because the music rules.
I like it.
Why would I be any more interested in a band because they only fuck up 1/3 of their material with that vocal?
As I said, I will wait and see and maybe I'll be totally impressed and you all can gather round passing me condiments while I eat crow.
Yeah.
Again, we have someone clinging to the notion that metal should be always formulaic and pigeonholed into a category, yet the word PROG is part of your screen name. You are entitled to your opinion of course, but being a progressive music fan, shouldn't that mean the music should progress and diversify and be done a tad outside the box with newer ideas? Your ideas are contrary to your screen persona. I won't say hypocrite because that's too harsh of a word for me to call you.

Thusly...we here at Prog_Muse Industries don't associate the cookie monster vocals with progressive or power metal.

If it makes you feel any better, long-time attendees of the DEATH METAL FESTIVAL would be just as bummed as you are if Amorphis was announced as the headliner of their festival. "All those gay keyboards, guitar melodies, mid-tempo songs, danceable rhythms...bah, that's not Death Metal!"

Just think of it as Glenn doing some generous charity work. If all festival organizers were that restrictive about genres, the poor guys in Amorphis would never have a chance to play anywhere!

Neil

Just think of it as Glenn doing some generous charity work. If all festival organizers were that restrictive about genres, the poor guys in Amorphis would never have a chance to play anywhere!

Neil

Hahaha, that's true. They just don't fit anywhere. I have them as "doom metal" in my iTunes, but that's only because of the mood of the music, not the style.

Anyway, back to the rest of the roster... how about these other crazy bands? I'm stoked about Volbeat. Two days after last year's fest I was already in love with these guys and looking to buy a shirt (which I haven't, because the only method of doing to is pretty sketch).

I think this lineup will be tough to top next year. I think every sector of the fan base should be happy with this line up. We've got bands prog bands, power bands, prog/power bands, just plain different bands, and those are just the 5th and 6th spot bands.

They'll surely do more than two or three songs with growls .. so lets not give people false hope here. It will be about a 1/2 set of growls, and 1/2 set clean vocaled stuff. I hope they don't change their normal sets up because of the anti-growl crowd. That would piss me off some, although I like their non-growled tracks as well.
Britt

I like most of the clean vox, but I too am hoping to hear at least half a set of growls....if not more.

Growls, no growls who really cares, not me. This is probably the best line-up Glenn has every put together, as it has more diversity than any other. Folks you got to remember this is a business, and if you don't step out of the box once in a while, someone else will and leave you flat. Do you think major industry sits back on the laurels of PAST accomplishments, hell no, if they did then they would be so ho-hum. To make your business expand you have to sit and look at maybe taking a chance, and going for it. None of us know all the behind scenes stuff that goes on to make this the best festival in the US, and really i don't want to know, as it would probably give me a splitting migrane.

Granted you may not like all the bands, and you may have your opinion about them, and that is fine, and you are free to voice it, but please lets' get away from the growl versus no-growl, i think it is beating a dead horse to-death. All I can say is give each band a chance, you might be surprised and come away with a new respect for each and every band, case in point: I wasn;t to keen on Primal Fear last year, but my daughter says lets listen to one or two songs, welllllllllll When Ralf came out and hit that first note, I was hooked, and really enjoyed their entire set. So to all give each band a chance.

Yep, I think its always good to give a band a couple songs. I know I've missed bands in the past, but that's usually to arriving late and not out of a desire to skip them.

Prior to my first ProgPower, the only band on the roster that I knew was Therion and Stratovarius. I then went and listened to some songs from other bands on the roster. And instantly liked Conception, Orphaned Land, and Stride.

Too many quotes to copy, so here goes:
Firstly, I didn't label Amorphis as anything.
I was referring to the growling thing as being "cookie monster" and in my opinion, there simply is nothing prog/power about that style of vocals.
That is death metal, and while I have always been of the opinion that, hey, anyone remember when it was just fuckin' METAL and it all kicked ass, prog power is PROG POWER, not death, not black, not screamo emo thrash punk or anything else.
That covers THAT.
As far as Amorphis only doing the growling in however many songs...it's just sad to me because the music rules.
I like it.
Why would I be any more interested in a band because they only fuck up 1/3 of their material with that vocal?
As I said, I will wait and see and maybe I'll be totally impressed and you all can gather round passing me condiments while I eat crow.
Yeah.

I completely agree. Prog should totally be limited to one vocal style.

Good point. :tickled:

For some reason, when I think about it, 90% of the music I prefer is the stuff you can't categorize into neat little sub-genres.

Oh how I await the day a concert promoter somewhere in our land books a concert featuring the likes of Amorphis, Primordial, Hammers of Misfortune, Enslaved, Disillusion, and Orphaned Land all on the same bill!!!

:headbang:

It cracks me up that this thread is entitled "A brief note on the roster". I don't see much of any roster discussion here at all... it seems to be all about the appropriateness of one band. And, to be honest, I love it when chaos like this ensues; it keeps people on their toes.

Do I like every band on the roster? No. Do I ever? No. Will I give the bands a chance? Most of them, yes. There are a couple of them that I do not care for at all and probably never will. But you know what? There are others on the roster each night that more than make up for those.

Actually, this is what I say about MOST ProgPower USA lineups. This year, however -- and I may be the only person in this category -- EVERY band on the roster appeals to me. There's no room for a dinner break, and I'll definitely have to build up some stamina in order to see anything and everything on stage this year... whereas, over the last five years, I've skipped anywhere from 25% to 50% of the bands. The only other PPUSA where I've watched every band was the first one.

If it makes you feel any better, long-time attendees of the DEATH METAL FESTIVAL would be just as bummed as you are if Amorphis was announced as the headliner of their festival. "All those gay keyboards, guitar melodies, mid-tempo songs, danceable rhythms...bah, that's not Death Metal!"

I agree completely. To a death metal fan who hates melodic metal, Amorphis is NOT death metal. To a melodic metal fan who hates death metal, Amorphis is NOT melodic. To a guy (such as myself) who likes all types of metal, and likes it even more when they cross over, Amorphis is pretty interesting. This discussion reminds me of the old goofy Reese's Peanut Butter Cups commercials:

Peanut butter lover: Hey! You got chocolate in my peanut butter!

Chocolate lover: Hey! You got peanut butter in my chocolate!

They both taste the result, and it's delicious.

Yep, I think its always good to give a band a couple songs. I know I've missed bands in the past, but that's usually to arriving late and not out of a desire to skip them.

Same here.

I've missed 'auditing' sets due to autographings, getting distracted and such, but I almost always try to give every band a few songs. Heck, chances are it will be pretty good and Glenn doesn't book bands who aren't talented.

I completely agree. Prog should totally be limited to one vocal style.

:lol:

I believe "sarcasm" was the intended point.

What style is Sarcasm? Where are they from?

Does Laser's Edge or The End carry 'em? :lol: :lol: :lol: