A new band member?

einars

Walking by a wire
Aug 12, 2008
Ventspils, Latvia
In a recent interview (read it here, link was posted in this forum by Bound2Fate) Jonas was asked about how Katatonia is going to recreate the atmosphere of the album in a live situation. As we know, they have used a lot of keyboards. "We had used keyboards, but not as much as on this record," says Jonas and mentions a friend with whom they worked with before and who already has done keyboard arrangements. "We have to figure out how to recreate that in the live situation. It’s going to be difficult, but we’ll get there somehow," he adds.
I am wondering how they are going to achieve this? By hiring a keyboardist (or hiring him only part-time)? By adapting the songs for live situation thus losing the album atmosphere? What do you think?

Having live keyboards on the songs that have it in studio would be fine, but no added keyboards on the ones without it originally plxz. I'd say a live session guy would be the best solution so keyboards aren't a demand on every song in the future.

Another idea is for them to play to a clicktrack, so they can just program atmospheres and keys and stuff. A bit less organic, but I found it can be incredibly effective and enhancing. Especially now the background sounds are truly essential this could be a helpful method.

And otherwise getting a live keyboardplayer/effect programmer would be perfectly fine too. It's also very entertaining to see someone get the most beautiful effects out of a synth or guitar hooked to a lot of effect processors

The band's sound was always made for keyboards, and obviously NitND proves this point. I know the majority of people are always overly cautious about a new member, but in this case it would be for the best. Of course most fans won't feel that way until well after the fact if it ever occurs. I say bring it!

Opeth is a different story entirely though. I think their appeal for most people is their more organic sound (like solid oak covered in vines.) Once you start going past the softer synths like flutes, strings, etc. etc. it becomes more noticeable, which is why Per for the most part has played it pretty safe. Especially more recent Katatonia on the other hand has more of an urban sound (cold steel, and concrete) so it's a more natural addition that only adds to their dark atmosphere.

Aye Blue I'd have to agree.

Per is a wonderful musician and the times i've seen him play with opeth he's never failed to impress, but I still halfheartedly hope for Mike to go crazy, fire per and then record another My Arms Your Hearse :loco:

Hah. Opeth's been on a crazy downward spiral since Deliverance/Damnation :) *hides* But anyway, I think my idea wins. Session keyboards on the keyboard songs live, so they still have the opportunity to not have keyboards on every future song ;)

You realize keyboards are by far the most versatile instrument in the history of music? You're limiting your sound by not having a person who knows the ins and outs of how to fully utilize a monstrous machine like a keyboard. I can't think of a single Katatonia song that wouldn't benefit from at least some soundscaping. All of the most versatile bands I can think of off the top of my head understand this fact. Katatonia is expanding their sound, and they're also realizing this. In this day in age keyboards should just as vital a part of the standard band format as guitar, bass, and drums. It's not rocket science.

Not every single song and every single music genre is "limited" by not having keyboards. It's all about what they're doing. I'm hoping Kata keeps some heaviness and doesn't turn into a 24/7 mellow atmosphere band and having a full time keyboardist just seems like something for the second option.

Not every genre maybe, but I'm not interested in bands that have already limited themselves to one genre. Keys aren't limited to mellow atmosphere so I'm not following your point on that one either.

Dude, they were the ones who had ultimate control of the direction of the album. No keyboardist was giving input on the direction so that doesn't make any sense. They made the album they wanted to make. Plus there are plenty of keyboardist who know when to sit out a song, and don't get all bent out of a shape about it. Just like drummers know when to sit out songs.