Amp to Cabinet cable

Naraithsil

Jul 23, 2005
I need to buy a cable to connect my amp head to cab when the cab arrives, now do i use a normal guitar cable, or should i purchase a special cable designed for this job? Thanks

Though I have never ever heard that someones gear broke because they had a guitar cable instead of a speaker cable. If the cable would be very very thin I guess there's a risk, but if using a proper guitar lead I can't see that anything would happen.

kryckan said:
Though I have never ever heard that someones gear broke because they had a guitar cable instead of a speaker cable. If the cable would be very very thin I guess there's a risk, but if using a proper guitar lead I can't see that anything would happen.

The guitar cables act as capacitors (having a lead wire surrounded by shielding and the isolation=dielectric in between), which AFAIK is the reason for them being unsuitable for such use...
Speaker cables have two leads side by side and no shielding.

SickBoy said:
Is there a particular brand you'd recommend for this kind of connection?

I have all my speakers cables custom made with top quality Neutrik jack's and (usually) Van Damme cable of a guage capable of holding twice to three times higher current than I expect to send down it (in the case of a guitar amp I usually make sure the cable can hold around 500watts safely, for a PA; around 15,000watts).

I personally like Monster Cables. I use them for my instruments, connecting my pedalboard, and mt head unit. I've probably got about $250 worth of cords in my rig, which only uses 4 pedals on the floor.

Surprisingly enough, soldering car jumper cables to 1/4" jacks make very good speaker cables.

I make my own with Neutrik Jacks and car speaker cable, 14 guage and up. They aren't shielded, either. I figure...If their going to pick up Mexican radio stations (I live in SoCal), what's there to amplify the signal?

Razorjack said:
When desperate electrical cable is great as a quick-fix speaker cable, it's a trick that I've had to use on more than one occasion when running FOH at gigs.

All of our mains are wired with orange extention chord. It works fine. Cheaper that buying 100ft speaker cables. I bought a bulk roll, some ends and went to town. Never had a problem in 6 years.