Building a new music industry?

Dustin

C-C-Cool Beans!!!
Stumbled across this interesting article a little while back. Just wanted to share it and see what some of you here thought - be it from a musicians/buisness stand point, or a music consumer/fans point of view.

http://gighive.com/the-buzz/2010/07/tom-silverman-talks-trouble-for-the-new-music-industry/

I worked at a used bookstore in high school and college, and I learned something interesting about booksellers: most people who sell used books don’t read. My boss and his colleagues told me that over the years, sellers see so many books come and go that it becomes almost impossible to choose one to read, and eventually, you just kinda give up.

I remembered that detail this week as I was reading an interview at Wired.com with the founder of Tommy Boy Records, Tom Silverman. Silverman has a lot of things to say that are contrary to the whole, “hey-ho, technology is saving the music industry” line we hear so much these days. The bad news? The music market is so glutted with bands and artists struggling to DIY that nobody is making any money. Fewer artists are breaking through today than ever before.

According to Silverman, our love affair with technology has created a supersaturated system whereby there is too much content for any quality to rise to the top. He quotes numbers claiming that 79,000 (80%) of the albums released last year sold under 100 copies – a number so insignificant in terms of industry stats that it might as well not exist. In other words, the industry itself is becoming like a used bookseller, so overwhelmed by choice that all those many choices may as well not exist.

Indie Artists Aren’t Surviving

During this period of transition between the old and new ways of doing business, a challenging reality is presenting itself: labels can’t afford to invest enough in artists, and many musicians are producing, promoting, and touring themselves. It’s the democratization of the system, right? But when we get down to the numbers game, almost no one is making enough money to survive. Certainly not enough to quit those day jobs. Again referencing numbers offered by Silverman, historically speaking, you need to sell more than 10,000 copies of an album to be an officially surviving, working band, and only 10 new artists did that over the last year.

Searching for solutions to this plummeting numbers game, Silverman points out two key trends:

1 – The industry is involved in an insane technology race, and this obsession is taking us away from focusing on discovering good music and identifying new genres.

2 – Technology isn’t necessarily doing artists any favors. Bands with 50,000 followers on Twitter aren’t turning those followers into fan-investors. On the other hand, artists who are touring relentlessly while giving away their music for free as a promotional tool are seeing results.

Rethinking An Adversarial Relationship

Ok, ok! I know you didn’t come to GigHive to read a bunch of depressing shit about how we’re all doomed. But I think that Silverman’s perspective is important because he’s being realistic. We’re in a transition period as an industry, the question is: what comes next?

Luckily, Silverman’s got some interesting ideas. He suggests that one of the major problems that destroyed the old industry is that the relationship between labels and artists has always been adversarial. The label is always fighting to squeeze as much as it can out of the artist while giving as little back as possible.

The labels of the future, Silverman says, should function more as investors entering into 50/50 partnerships with musicians:

"Every artist is a business, and has its own corporation under this model, and all of that artist’s creative equity goes into that — not just music, but everything they do. Whether it’s live, or merch, or whatever, their brand goes in there. And the investors who are investing and trying to promote on the other side — they own half. So it’s more like a business. An equity partnership.”

Building the New Music Industry

We’ve talked about bands being funded by brands before, but this model takes the band-as-business to the next level. The unique element here – and one that divides it from the stranglehold 360 deal – is that each artist and label/partner is invested in the success of the project, and everybody profits, or fails to profit, equally by the results.

What do you think, readers? Could this be a viable, rewarding system for the future of the music industry? Could it strike a balance between the handful-of-superstars system of old, and the current everybody-plays-but-nobody-gets-paid clusterfuck?

Next week, Silverman and his partners are putting on the newly-revived New Music Seminar in New York. For $200, you can attend three days of events, including parties, interviews, roundtables, and q&as with industry experts, all of whom are posing the same questions asked above. Make some great connections and put your two cents in, or if you’re not in NYC, let us know what you’re thinking right here!

I've said for years now that there are too many bands putting out too many records on too many labels...it's all one big ball of noise. Plus its so cheap to go DIY now (compared to 20 years ago) that there are so many people doing it and having the same problem...there's just too much music and not enough listeners/investors (ie, money) to go around. The music fans that actively seek out and buy music simply can't buy everything.

I'm not sure it will help. One thing that is clear is that making money off albums is going to become unviable. I think the old model of touring to promote an album is going to have to be replaced by putting out an album to promote a tour.

I also think artists should consider abandoning the album format unless they are doing some kind of concept and just put out songs as they write and record them, via their website or Itunes singles. I know for a fact that leakage via torrent sites is less for singles than for albums, unless it's a really high profile release. It's gotta suck to work for a year on an album, put it out, it leaks a week early, the world's got it before anyone's paid a dime, and then for the next two years you've got nothing to sell. Do a song a month, and I think that would be less likely to happen.

We Are the Fallen actually considered this model before deciding to just make an album. Mainly because albums are actually still viable, at least for now.

you need to sell more than 10,000 copies of an album to be an officially surviving, working band, and only 10 new artists did that over the last year.[/I]

Stopped reading after this. Definitely not true. They should probably define "new artists."

I'm not sure it will help. One thing that is clear is that making money off albums is going to become unviable. I think the old model of touring to promote an album is going to have to be replaced by putting out an album to promote a tour.

I also think artists should consider abandoning the album format unless they are doing some kind of concept and just put out songs as they write and record them, via their website or Itunes singles. I know for a fact that leakage via torrent sites is less for singles than for albums, unless it's a really high profile release. It's gotta suck to work for a year on an album, put it out, it leaks a week early, the world's got it before anyone's paid a dime, and then for the next two years you've got nothing to sell. Do a song a month, and I think that would be less likely to happen.

We Are the Fallen actually considered this model before deciding to just make an album. Mainly because albums are actually still viable, at least for now.

The problem is that putting out a song per month doesn't make sense at all to labels like Nuclear Blast who spend 50-100,000 euros on promotional campaigns and 15,000 on recording costs etc. There's absolutely no way for the label to make that back. If they are going to go at it DIY without a label and put out a song per month, it becomes harder to get a tour. A good booking agent isn't going to book a band that has virtually no product available. Thus, 1 song a month is actually pretty counter-productive.

I should have mentioned that I don't see how small labels can survive. I think they are doomed.

A song a month is more output than the average band does now. Quite a bit more, actually. I'd imagine that in order to have product out there, they'd want to release an albums' worth up front, and then trickle out new songs after that.

Major labels will probably continue to function as they do today. There will probably always be enough demand for physical product to keep the multi-platinum artists and their labels going.

Of course, like all futurist predictions, it's not much better than a wild-ass guess.

I should have mentioned that I don't see how small labels can survive. I think they are doomed.

Not really. They just need to adopt new models in order to survive. Sumerian Records and Noise Art Records for example have built-in booking agencies so not only do they ensure that their artists get on the road, which in turn sells the product, but they also can make money off booking fees as well. It's turned out to be quite a lucrative model as the former label has seen ridiculous success and the latter is relatively new so we'll have to see.

A song a month is more output than the average band does now. Quite a bit more, actually. I'd imagine that in order to have product out there, they'd want to release an albums' worth up front, and then trickle out new songs after that.

Putting too much product out doesn't mean more sales. It means the opposite. In this time where sales are at an all-time low, do you think oversaturating the market with more product than necessary makes sense at all?

With your suggested model, I assume you are referring to digital-only and not physical. Releasing a physical product per month is suicide of course, but I do agree that digital-only is a relatively un-tapped model that could work since it reduces alot of costs. However, one song (worth $1) will most likely not sell as much or make as much money as a full collection of songs. It's a fact.

Major labels will probably continue to function as they do today. There will probably always be enough demand for physical product to keep the multi-platinum artists and their labels going.

No, major labels are most likely going to depend on successful indie labels (like Warner buying Roadrunner), while scaling back on their practices. I wouldn't be surprised to see more major labels focusing more on more profitable ventures like movies and video games and less on music. I mean it's what they're doing already, but I feel it's going to be like that moreso.

The market is oversaturated with too much music overall, but individual groups almost all put out too little. Used to be bands put out albums annually. I actually think it's damaging some bands to be going four years between albums.

What Stratovarius and Rhapsody are doing right now, that's the way to do it. Keep 'em coming if you want to keep the buzz going.

Actually what Stratovarius and Rhapsody are doing right now is pretty bad. Here are 3 reasons why in order of importance:

3) Sometimes the label can't afford to meet the guaranteed minimum budget within the contract if there isn't enough time in between albums to recoup the costs that were spent. Thus, you'll get shittier and shittier quality records in terms of production, layout, etc as a result.

2) The same is said for tour support and promo/marketing. If the label can't make that back in a year, then the record won't be pushed hard enough the next year.

1) Most importantly -- if Stratovarius' album last year had mediocre sales (they were a bit higher than mediocre if I recall correctly), and the label cannot recoup the costs of 3 albums released in 3 years, the band will get dropped. Then the band will be out of a deal and no label will sign a band that doesn't sell. It will be the end of the band for the most part.

I'm assuming from your post, that "your model" of one song per month is a physical retail model? I mean dude, do you realize how logistically and financially suicidal that is? You realize it costs the same to print a 12-track album that it does to print a 1 track EP right? Nobody in their right mind would want to throw away that much money on something that's only going to sell that little. Putting out 12 physical products a month... forget it, nobody would buy it. If you mean digital only though... that's another story because there are no printing costs. However, it's still not going to work. It costs at LEAST $1,000 to do one decent ad campaign and if you have a publicist that you're paying, that's another $500 per product. How do you justify spending that much per year on something that probably won't sell more than 500-1,000 copies?

Is there an actual source that provides sales figures besides Nielsen?

It would be great to see sales figures from 2010 releases- especially from bands that are right around the 5-10,000 unit mark.

And of course, a record can sell 10,000 + copies WORLDWIDE, not just in the US. Ultimately it doesn't matter how many copies a record sells as long as those sales offset all the costs spent on the record in the firstplace. Some labels have a 50,000 record standard, while others have a below-10,000 record standard. I don't see how sales have anything to do with the success of the band in this regard. It only determines success if the costs are covered, but that cost-covering isn't determined by a set number. A record can sell 5,000 copies, or even 1,000 and be a success if those sales recoup the costs spent on it. Bands themselves are making most of their money from merch sales and gig fees.

I think everyone so far has some rather valid opinions, however, it was said best – it’s all a wild guess in the end. I’m sure to get crucified for my opinions, but WTF….

A few of my thoughts, for what it’s worth.

On the “making money touring and selling merchandise in lieu of selling music”

For established, notable artists, this is a no-brainer. You have a select fan base, you have working capitol from you past accolades, you know people in the business, and you, your management, booking agent and promoters you work with know you can sell tickets, this obviously makes perfect sense. However, for underground, unsigned artists, this is easier said than done. If you are young, have a disposable day job (i.e. work for peanuts, don’t have an actual career outside of music), live at home with mom and dad, no mortgage payment, no kids, no real financial responsibilities other than buying drum heads or guitar strings and hitting taco bell and the liquor store on occasion, then the sky is the limit. But if you have the exact opposite situation, then this business model realistically isn’t going to work and is a kick in the nuts to both the musicians and their fans
There has to be some sort of platform to start from that actually works. An indie/unsigned/small label artist would pretty much have to live like a monk, give up everything, including any decent quality of life, in order to compete on any proper level to gain notability and notoriety and to break even or make a living from this grand idea compared to an established act. If your young with no responsibilities, or an older mooch-douche bag, you have a shot, otherwise, your S.O.L. and would be doomed to spend more that you would receive back.

My bottom line opinion on this one as a 35 year old struggling artist with a family and financial responsibilities and a healthy, decent quality of life that is provided from a non-musical career - This particular “industry model” can be firmly placed in the circular file. Next.

On the “too many Chiefs and not enough Indians” syndrome

I’m happy to hear I’m not the only one that feels that it’s just getting completely out of control. Shawn summed it up pretty short and sweet in his reply, and it seems everyone agrees as well, and I completely agree here too. But I feel the need to expand…

New artist, old artist, indie, signed… it’s all becoming a big wall of noise, and there is just too much out there to choose from. Thousands and thousands of bands who have gained a voice in the business that normally would never have, thanks to Amazon, iTunes and other digital avenues opening the floodgates to everyone and their dog to record and put music out there, not to mention with the help of websites like MySpace and Reverbnation turning these same artists into snake-oil salesmen; it has become a run away train, with no quality control, no true notability, no qualm about spamming your mail box. The fact that I could fart on a snare drum and compete against other notable artists and beat the ever living shit out of their fans to “Check me out” is utter crap.

I’m certain that there are some talented, high quality artists that send stuff to my mail box that might actually blow my mind, but with the slew of crap ranging from terrible ambient noise core to rapping comedians filling up and spamming my inbox at such an accelerated rate, I just delete it all rather than fish through all the garbage to find that diamond in the rough that might be legitimate. In fact, I only get onto our MySpace account to “Clean out the closet” anymore these days. I don’t think we’ve had a friend request from an actual “person” in years. I could go on for paragraphs on this. For the past two years, I have yet to see any legitimate email, comment post, or correspondence from neither a fan nor someone in the business that is worth reading, it’s always glory spam, and we get anywhere from 15-30 emails/post request a day. Sadly, if something legitimate came through, I’m sure it would get deleted with the rest of the junk, I just don’t have the patients anymore. If this is even a minor example of what an A&R rep for a reputable label goes through when they get the mail at the post, then I don’t envy them one bit, in fact I seriously sympathies with their job. It’s absolute madness!

With that being said, I also no longer have the patients to play “acting A&R rep” for all these other bands on these so-call social websites who are too lazy/cheap to even get a real web page, shop a demo, send a personalized email, or let alone take them seriously on any level when they send comments or requests telling me to “vote for them” or “check them out” or even invite me to their gig in a small pub in another country. Does anyone other than bands use these avenues? Do real people…FANS… actually brows these sites still?

Is it really relevant to use these sites when all it is, are a bunch of other bands “friending” each other, yet could care less about anyone else but themselves, and use that platform to shove their amateur talent bullshit on to other artists? Really? Seriously? It’s like the battle of Little Bighorn on a massive scale, only happening online. In fact, it’s almost cannibalism to an extent. Most of these artists wouldn’t last a day in the business 10-15 years ago, they would be eaten alive, and would remain unknown and out of site, where they should be, but no… they are a mosquito constantly buzzing around the ass of the giant horse called the music business, and the industry actually feels these avenues are relevant and helpful still in discovering “new artists”? As a music fan, I can’t even tolerate it, It’s a complete disaster

What a joke.

Waiter? …Check please! :lol:

I'd like to retract one quick thing: Stratovarius is a unique case. They'll always be a successful band due to their drummer being a booking agent.

Actually what Stratovarius and Rhapsody are doing right now is pretty bad. Here are 3 reasons why in order of importance:

3) Sometimes the label can't afford to meet the guaranteed minimum budget within the contract if there isn't enough time in between albums to recoup the costs that were spent. Thus, you'll get shittier and shittier quality records in terms of production, layout, etc as a result.

2) The same is said for tour support and promo/marketing. If the label can't make that back in a year, then the record won't be pushed hard enough the next year.

Well, you forgot the fact that those two bands are not depending on studio budget and tour budgets from their labels - both of them own their studios and can take all the time in the world to record, and both of them are big enough these days to get paid more than enough from venues to make a tour successful w/o their labels chipping in :)

Yeah, I'm not familiar at all with what goes on with those camps (Except with Strato I do know obviously that Jorg works for Twisted Talent and I am sure can use his booking fee earnings to help with Stratovarius, as well as Stratovarius' gig fees probably being substantial in Europe). I know that the last Rhapsody full length did really well in Europe (and I personally loved it!). However, it doesn't matter how well a band does, a label needs to be smart with how it spends its money and can't just bend over backwards to every whim of the band. Remember NB and Manowar? Manowar did gangbusters in Europe and demanded bigger budgets etc and NB said no. What did Manowar do? Sign with SPV who went bankrupt for putting too much money into its bands and not being able to recoup it all. While it helps that Stratovarius and Rhapsody don't have to rely too much on studio and touring costs, they still need to rely on promotional costs and printing costs which could very easily run into the tens (or even hudreds) of thousands. Plus, these bands are rare exceptions to the norm. Not everyone has their own studio or booking agency built within (however, it's becoming more and more the case that bands SHOULD start having these things).

I'm not a fan of what Rhapsody is doing though. They put out their full length to great success in Europe and OK numbers in the US considering they almost never play here, but they really should've stopped there and toured more on it than drop an additional EP and a new full length next year. If they wanted to put out the EP that badly, release it digitally, but too much physical product in such a short timespan could be dangerous in this day and age.

That's not to say that I think bands should wait 5 years to put out an album, but I do think 2-3 years makes the most sense in terms of playing it safe. Sometimes it doesn't matter how big the band is, the label needs to have the money to fund it. Certainly, I do not agree at all with adaher's model.

inb4Jasonabolik and overexposure.

I think this is in part an issue of perspectives. If you read things from people who are or have been involved in the BIG business of the American music industry, its all falling apart. The demise of the old way of doing things is bad to them, because its their bread and butter. Their main interest is in finding songs they think they can sell a bajillion copies of, pair it up with a marketable vehicle for the music (sometimes called a 'band' or 'artist') then wring every last drop out of the combined product with singles, downloads, tours, Disney channel guest spots, etc. Wash, rinse, repeat. The growth of small labels and the DIY market has become kind of like termites in your house, in that it takes a long time and great proliferation, but ultimately these little critter can make the house unlivable.

The music industry is kind of a big machine, and so it cannot react very quickly or with agility to the changes. They have their way of doing things that has worked for decades, its still working to a degree, and they would much rather everyone listened to their whinging and just buy what they funnel into Wal-Mart.

On the other hand, musicians, bands and artists are often times still fixated on that same paradigm - of "making it big" with that whole 70's and 80's rockstar dream. I think things are in a transition point away from the old way of either making it huge through the graces of the music industry gatekeepers or being an abject failure, to a more natural economic hierarchy. What has to happen , and what likely is happening, is a growth of the 'middle class' in this industry. There is a lot of talk about this from the perspective of songwriters today, but not as much from the perspective of artists and bands.

On the other hand, musicians, bands and artists are often times still fixated on that same paradigm - of "making it big" with that whole 70's and 80's rockstar dream. I think things are in a transition point away from the old way of either making it huge through the graces of the music industry gatekeepers or being an abject failure, to a more natural economic hierarchy. What has to happen , and what likely is happening, is a growth of the 'middle class' in this industry. There is a lot of talk about this from the perspective of songwriters today, but not as much from the perspective of artists and bands.

The "old model" is what's going away. And now that the home recording/DIY floodgates have been opened, there's no way to hold back the flood. As a result, the business will change and maybe art will go back to being art for the vast majority of musicians as opposed to trying to make art into a financial "golden goose".

I wonder how much money the record industry in spending on R&D. Ultimately, the problem is one of piracy. This piracy comes about because unprotected files are released, either in the form of non-DRM files or CDs. Does anyone know if the powers that be are working towards improving the existing technology, and then ridding themselves of any media lacks the appropriate security?

EDIT: Obviously, current DRM technology can be overcome. My question assumes they can develop a technology that would seriously thwart such efforts.

Piracy is not the ultimate problem...that's a small part of the overall decline. Piracy happened before the internet, it was just slower. Building new securities only gives the hackers who break those securities something to do.

Ultimately, overcrowding on all levels (bands, releases, labels, online distros, etc) is the reason nobody is making money...there's not enough of it to go around.