Building a new music industry?

Piracy is not the ultimate problem...that's a small part of the overall decline.
Is piracy merely a small part? Are people listening to less music or buying less music? I suspect people are listening to as much music as they always have, possibly even more (due to piracy making it so freely available).

Piracy happened before the internet, it was just slower. Building new securities only gives the hackers who break those securities something to do.
In the current model, that's true. And perhaps there's no technology that can't be usurped. However, I would think there's a way it can be done, through licensing, DRM and ties between files and hardware.

I wonder how much money the record industry in spending on R&D.

That’s a good question. If we’re talking larger labels, my guess is very little. In fact, I believe more money is put into their lawyers to chase down that dollar via lawsuits. There was an article on the very matter, but I can’t find it at the moment… it was a label rep from one of the big five admitting it is far more cost effective right now to pay their lawyers to sue consumers and business partners than it is to find a way to compromise or go with the flow of technology. He also admits that they have a plan for the future and at some point they’ll confirm to consumer demands with digital technology, but at this time their money will be tied up in litigations until CD sales drop to absolute zero, and it could be many years before they set their grand plan in motion. If I find it again, I’ll post it here in this thread since it was an interesting read.

Ultimately, the problem is one of piracy.

As much as music consumers/fans (and even some people in the industry) are in denial of this, try to justify it, and feel it is more helpful than harmful, you are indeed correct to some extent. It’s not so much the act of piracy itself, but how much more convenient and easy it is to pirate music and distribute it today than it was 10-15 years ago that is the actual problem. The technology race in the industry and the free fall of sales both physical and digital, let alone the flood gates being opened to every tom, dick and harry trying to be able to create music and compete in the market, is all deeply rooted in the “current” piracy problem. Everyone from musicians to label exec’s are in a mad dash to figure how to work around it and turn a dime somehow, and as of now, there is still no real good solution, just a lot of discombobulated theories and ideas with everyone pointing fingers at each other.

This piracy comes about because unprotected files are released, either in the form of non-DRM files or CDs. Does anyone know if the powers that be are working towards improving the existing technology, and then ridding themselves of any media lacks the appropriate security?

EDIT: Obviously, current DRM technology can be overcome. My question assumes they can develop a technology that would seriously thwart such efforts.

Another good question, and it’s really anyone’s guess, but I’m certain whatever technology that is created to prevent piracy; there will be some sort of 17 year old child prodigy M.I.T. flunk-out that will crack it, and a slew of music consumers in support of that by crying that they are “inconvenienced” and will just illegally take the music rather than deal with being “forced” to buy their music. It is the eternal crux of the music industry concerning the advances of technology. Thus, this why it is more plausible to believe that music will be “free” at some point in the not-so-distant future, and revenues will be collect through other avenues. What those avenues are, is anyone’s guess, as I’ve said, and after nearly a decade of this problem, there is still no good solution as far as I can tell… at least not yet.

Is piracy merely a small part? Are people listening to less music or buying less music? I suspect people are listening to as much music as they always have, possibly even more (due to piracy making it so freely available).

In the current model, that's true. And perhaps there's no technology that can't be usurped. However, I would think there's a way it can be done, through licensing, DRM and ties between files and hardware.

Piracy is a small part, yes. The ease, convenience and speed at which music can be pirated is much greater since the internet. But as exponentially as that has increased, so has the amount of music available. I would say people are listening to less music, but hording/stockpiling more of it (in terms of those who illegally download only). There's no way they are listening to/consuming the amount of music they're taking.

As for technology, if the code can be written, the code can be hacked...plain and simple.

Getting music for free is indeed cutting into the large numbers of both units and dollars we got used to seeing in the 90s. But, what has happened is that blind-buying, which I maintain inflated those numbers to begin with, has been eliminated. There was a time when the only way to hear something other than the radio single was to buy the entire album...in those times, of course numbes are going to be bigger. When you no longer have to buy the whole album to hear the whole thing (you can steal it online or hear it streamed on the artist website) you can decide if you like it BEFORE you buy it as opposed to after. If an artist streams an album on his website gets 500,000 plays and only sells 1,000 copies, then only 1,000 people thought it was worth spending their money on...that has nothing to do with piracy, it has to do with quality control and freedom of choice.

Then there's the whole thing of "the person who stole it probably would not have bought it anyway" scenario, which I feel is true. Some people only download because they can...and have a hard drive full of files they never play.

Yeah, the numbers were huge in the 90s, but how many of those CDs ended up under people's beds, between the sofa cushions, in the floorboard and gloveboxes of cars, lost, broken or forgotten? Based on what was selling the giant numbers that were floating the industry, I'd say most of them. The 15 million or so people who bought the Black Album (example) are not the die-hard CD collector types we have here at online discussion forums...most of them liked "Enter Sandman" or "Nothing Else Matters", went and bought it, and either lost it, broke it, or traded it into a used CD shop.

It's easy to point at the fact of illegal filesharing and say it's killing everything...it's just not feasable. Home tape recording didn't kill the music business when everyone thought it would. CD recording didn't kill the music business. The music business got used to bloated, false-positive numbers and became dependent on them...then the bottom dropped out when the options changed.

The problem only gets worse when there are 1000x more bands with music available (thanks to home recording and, of course, the SAME internet people are sharing music on).

People can't buy everything...more than that, they don't want to.

Piracy is a small part, yes. The ease, convenience and speed at which music can be pirated is much greater since the internet. But as exponentially as that has increased, so has the amount of music available. I would say people are listening to less music, but hording/stockpiling more of it (in terms of those who illegally download only). There's no way they are listening to/consuming the amount of music they're taking.
I think our disagreement here is largely semantics. You seem to be suggesting that the problem is hoarding/stockpiling. However, if people are only able to do so because of piracy, then isn't the underlying problem ultimately piracy?

As for technology, if the code can be written, the code can be hacked...plain and simple.
So far, that has proven to be true. However, the fact that it hasn't been done, doesn't mean it can't be. Clearly, the solution can't be dependent solely on information stored in the MP3 file. However, using a combination of the file, information stored on a server, and a unique identifier within the device playing the file (akin to a MAC address), I would think there must be a way to make it happen.

I think our disagreement here is largely semantics. You seem to be suggesting that the problem is hoarding/stockpiling. However, if people are only able to do so because of piracy, then isn't the underlying problem ultimately piracy?

No, our disagreement is that I don't believe that illegal filesharing is the main problem and you do. I was just answering the question you posed as to whether people are listening to more or less music...I say less because of the sheer amount of it...it's like a paradox. The more they have, the less they actually listen to.

The reason the music business is suffering cannot be pinned on one thing. It was getting so big and so inflated that it was bound to crumble...and it did. And, I think, the reason that it crumbled has more to do with relying on bloated numbers and not creating more options (thinking it was going to last forever) than people taking advantage of the options someone else created.

Yes, illegal filesharing is just that...illegal. I'm not arguing the legality of it or saying it's OK...I'm just saying that blaming the collapse of the entire music industry on this one simple concept is short-sighted...its an easy target. Illegal file sharing is not the #1 main cause of the current woes of the industry.

You may be right. However, if the hardware was integrated into the solution, it might be harder to hack.

If I’m reading this correctly, are suggesting music be put out in a new physical format/medium thus requiring a new/different hardware to support it? …if so, it’s a realistic possibility, but the demand for it would have to be extraordinary. For the industry to go this route, it would have to be revolutionary and music consumers would have to be forced into to it, much like we all were when records, cassette and CD’s came and went. The only caveat to this, is that the digital medium is like heroin right now, it’s convenient and easy to acquire for a quick musical fix, and would be a hard habit to break. Consumers would have to be technologically forced into this change cold turkey. That could be ugly, yet very interesting if it did indeed happen.

Piracy is a small part, yes. The ease, convenience and speed at which music can be pirated is much greater since the internet. But as exponentially as that has increased, so has the amount of music available….
People can't buy everything...more than that, they don't want to.

OK... than yes, we completely disagree.

I think you both have valid arguments, but from my perspective, you are both indeed getting into the semantics of it. The initial problem at the moment in the industry is certainly both piracy AND the amount of music out there… equally. It’s technological world war out there – Metaphorically speaking, if we consider the music industry as the Allied Nations, you have the Nazi’s (internet piracy) hitting the from once side, and the flooded market of independent DIY artists, and the social websites/digital distributors that support them (The Japanese) on the other side – your getting hit from two different directions and both are just as threatening as the other.

Seriously, you have people that don’t and won’t pay for music, and there is too much music to choose from or listen too at the same time… I would consider that a world class clusterfuck situation! From my point of view, that is a lethal cocktail in itself. It’s like shooting an massive 8 ball in the blood stream of the music industry. Nothing good can come from that concoction, and each problem is running rampant and out of control with no real solution or cure.

If I’m reading this correctly, are suggesting music be put out in a new physical format/medium thus requiring a new/different hardware to support it?
No. What I'm suggesting is the possibility of a solution that integrates the technologies available within the digital media itself, the player and the internet.

1. An MP3-type file, with some sort of DRM-like technology, that limits the number of physical devices that were capable of playing it
2. A requirement on hardware, PCs, MP3 players, etc., to carry some sort of unique identifier, similar to MAC addresses on network cards
3. A process model, whereby MP3 files were checked, on a periodic basis, by servers, for integrity and unique device registrations against the file

Obviously, I'm not suggesting this is the solution. But I think there is a solution out there.

Consumers would have to be technologically forced into this change cold turkey. That could be ugly, yet very interesting if it did indeed happen.
Agreed, they would have to be forced. However, when the damn has broken open, you need to take drastic measures.

I think you both have valid arguments, but from my perspective, you are both indeed getting into the semantics of it. The initial problem at the moment in the industry is certainly both piracy AND the amount of music out there… equally.
Agreed, there is more than one problem. However, if the primary issue was the amount of music out there, we should still see near the same amount of music being sold, just by a larger group of artists. So, if you once had the top 100 artists selling 100 million records, you should now have the top 1,000 artists selling 100 million records. Competition in the industry should drive sales down for individual artists, but not the sales of the industry as a whole. Those sales should remain fairly constant.

No. What I'm suggesting is the possibility of a solution that integrates the technologies available within the digital media itself, the player and the internet.

1. An MP3-type file, with some sort of DRM-like technology, that limits the number of physical devices that were capable of playing it
2. A requirement on hardware, PCs, MP3 players, etc., to carry some sort of unique identifier, similar to MAC addresses on network cards
3. A process model, whereby MP3 files were checked, on a periodic basis, by servers, for integrity and unique device registrations against the file.

Aren't songs purchased in iTunes only allowed to be played on a certain number of devices? I'm asking because I'm not entirely sure about this.

Also for points 2 & 3 to work, the device with the unique identifier would have to be able to connect to the internet in order for the servers to check it's integrity. I don't see every MP3 player having internet access. You could conceivably have a check done everytime the device is hooked up to a computer to transfer a file. But again you're assuming that the computer has an internet connection. I like the idea, but it would be incredibly hard to implement. Good starting point though.

3. A process model, whereby MP3 files were checked, on a periodic basis, by servers, for integrity and unique device registrations against the file

Obviously, I'm not suggesting this is the solution. But I think there is a solution out there.

Agreed, they would have to be forced. However, when the damn has broken open, you need to take drastic measures.

Agreed, there is more than one problem. However, if the primary issue was the amount of music out there, we should still see near the same amount of music being sold, just by a larger group of artists. So, if you once had the top 100 artists selling 100 million records, you should now have the top 1,000 artists selling 100 million records. Competition in the industry should drive sales down for individual artists, but not the sales of the industry as a whole. Those sales should remain fairly constant.

With said physical media...what's to stop people from simply encoding into mp3? There's always going to be a way.

I also don't think it's possible to force companies to stop producing one physical format, either. For smaller/independent labels, costs would probably be higher at first. Then you have to deal with the issue of waiting for all consumers to switch over, which takes time, meaning they can't sell the new product. And there's nothing to stop them from producing CDs/tapes/vinyl.

Interestingly enough, I just read an article regarding vinyl sales. They're up 14% from last year. They're at the highest they've been since 1991. Old formats never truly die, and if it causes enough ease of use for consumers, there's always going to be a market.

Edit: I realize you haven't already created a medium to stop all these issues so there's no way you can answer every question. If you had, you'd be one of the richest men in America right now. Simply bringing up points for debate.

I highly doubt that. You would need a huge group of electronics, IT, and music companies to come together and attempt to form a standard. Oh, wait, they actually did that. IN 1998! 13 years ago! It was called SDMI, and after a year of work, they couldn't come up with anything workable, and it fizzled.

Eventually, Microsoft and Apple came up with their own proprietary DRM systems. Consumers hated them, and they did absolutely nothing to stop piracy.

4 years ago, Steve Jobs wrote an open letter succinctly explaining how DRM will be eternally counterproductive.

2 months later, EMI removed DRM restrictions in the iTunes store.

For the last two years, downloadable music in the iTunes store, and at every other electronic music retailer, has been completely DRM-free.

Every step in the last 5 years has been AWAY from DRM. The record companies were the only ones who ever wanted it, and even they decided to move away from it. No one is going back.

On top of that, it's been years since the record companies have practiced the adversarial tactic of suing their customers. They have essentially conceded that battling piracy head-on is futile, and they are wisely trying to find ways to adapt to the current environment, rather than fight against it.

Thus, there is surely no great R&D effort underway to invent the World's Greatest DRM system. However, I have no doubt that the business minds at the major labels have been putting in plenty of resources for years trying to figure out how to make money in a challenging environment.

One of the major shifts coming is a move to streaming services. So your decade-old idea about a portable music player phoning-home over the Internet is sort of true, except instead of just DRM information passing over that link, the MUSIC will come over that link too. And if they can get customers to pay for that service, or advertise to them, it might work.

Competition in the industry should drive sales down for individual artists, but not the sales of the industry as a whole. Those sales should remain fairly constant.

Sales actually were fairly constant. Once again, it's good to remind ourselves how incredibly old this terrible "crisis" is. Metallica sued Napster 11 YEARS AGO! There are 10-year-olds currently discovering their own musical identities who weren't even born then, a date when the music industry was supposedly headed for imminent demise. Here are the RIAA's numbers. In 2000, revenue was $14.3 billion. It dropped to $13.7, then spent 2002-2006 bouncing around between $11 and $12 billion. So, seven years of piracy without a significant dropoff. The precipitous fall has only happened in the last few years, so just looking at the numbers, piracy isn't an obvious culprit.

It does correlate nicely with the most serious economic shock since the Great Depression, however. Another big revenue problem recognized by the industry is the unbundling of the album. Only in the last few years have electronic music sales really taken off, and as that has happened, people have shifted much more to buying single tracks for $1 rather than spending $15 to get that single track they wanted. In the electronic realm, 60% of revenue comes from single-track downloads. In the physical realm, 0.07% of revenue comes from singles, and 94% comes from albums. Holy shit. The fact that consumers can now easily pay only 1/15th of what they were paying before to get the song they want must have a huge impact.

Anyhow, the original post in this thread was not about the fortunes of the music industry as a whole, but about the fortunes of individual artists and the ability of artists to make a living. That seems like a more practical concern, particularly for music fans. Who cares how much the corporations make, or if any artists can be come millionaires off their music anymore.

More relevant is the question of whether any musician can pay for his food and rent with his music. As the gatekeepers of old continue to fall by the wayside, allowing a tsunami of music and musicians to flood the market, the price any musician can charge, even in a magical world completely free of piracy, will continue to fall. From that perspective, it's easy to see that while piracy may be a problem, it's not the overriding one, or the one that will dominate in the long term.

It's obvious that as the numbers of artists putting out music and touring increases, each gets a smaller piece of the pie to fight over. Less obvious is the fact that this causes the pie to shrink as well. It does this by two methods, one straightforward, and one more speculative. First, artist competition, like in any industry, drives prices down. This lowers the price consumers need to pay for music, and since music purchases are generally not limited by the monetary factor (they're limited by time available to listen to music, interest in new music, etc.), cheaper prices don't mean that people will by more music, they'll simply pay less for the same amount. Second, music is a social phenomenon, and popularity is hugely important in determining what people buy. In a world of overwhelming choice with fewer obvious blockbuster artists to signal to consumers that they should spend their money on music, people won't, and to some extent will opt out entirely. Just as many people only buy lottery tickets when the jackpot gets above $300 million, many people only buy music from mega-stars, and as mega-stars fall off in number and scale, industry revenue shrinks with them.

The original article was pretty dumb because the "solution" in the second half didn't do a darn thing to address the problem described in the first half, but that problem statement was certainly a good one.

Neil

Ok, here's my specific thoughts on the whole illegal downloading thing and how it relates to the current industry...trying to be clear. (I'll do my best to not just stream random thoughts, but I can't promise anything...LOL!)

Yes, illegal downloading has put a dent in the industry. But, from one perspective (one I share) what it has also done is expose more of a reality.

Albums still sold over 326 million units (physical/digital combo) in the US alone in 2010...and that's just what SoundScan/Billboard can count (it doesn't account for online distros, indie stores, etc that don't report to SoundScan). 326 million album sales...someone's buying something.

This was a 12.8% drop compared to 2009. Physical CD sales dropped 20% (based on what they can track in major chain stores) but digital album (legal) sales went up 13%...so again, someone's buying something.

Now, 326 million albums plus indie store/distro sales (which I will not speculate a number on, but I would guess is in the low millions just based on the recorded, trackable number) is nothing to sneeze at, at all. It's just not the bloated, false-positive numbers that the industry became accustomed to. I say "bloated" and "false-positive" because what the industry got used to, and what they guagued "success" on, incorporated blind-buying (which is what people had to do before the internet). Back then, if you could somehow factor out all the blind-buying and look at the real, true numbers of people who bought the album as fans, music lovers, who liked the whole album/band enough to care about their purchase (as opposed to the people who bought the album then lost, broke or re-sold it), then you'd see those numbers drop hard. When people no longer have to blind-buy, and can listen and judge a release before spending money on it, then its foolish to think sales would not decrease.

What we have to understand is that these stats represent your average, mainstream, Best Buy/Walmart shopping radio listener. People who only like a couple songs, or even a single song, that they happen to hear on the radio and buy a CD or legally download an album. They (for the most part) do not represent "us" (the music loving, music-lifestyle, "lifers" who care about our music and cherish and collect it).

"We" will always want and purchase physical product because we want to...but I've seen in recent years how many of "us" admit to downloading to hear something first and then buying or not buying depending on if we like it or not. If one of "us" downloads an album, hates it, deletes it and doesn't buy it...has the artist been wronged? Stores won't take open CDs back so they can't buy it and return it because they don't like it.

When given the option to no longer have to blindly purchase an album before deciding whether one likes it or not, it only stands to reason that sales numbers will go down. What we are inherently believing because of this is that every unit not sold is exactly equal to some low-life music pirate who downloaded the album from a blog. Based on sheer statistics, this is just not possible.

First of all, CD sales dropped 20% in 2010...well, when nobody carries CDs and those who do carry them only carry 20% of what they used to carry, then of course sales fall...the CDs are not there to buy.

Second of all, I'll restate that every non-sold CD does not equate to a stolen download. CD sales dropped 20%, but digital album sales rose 13%. That could very easily represnt people "going digital". So, we're left with a 7% differential. 7% sales differential could be chalked up to economy.

So, forgive me for not jumping on the bandwagon of "illegal downloading is currentlly killing the music industry"...it just doens't make sense. Illegal downloading started a new era of how music is obtained. But what's currently killing/hurting the music industry is too much music (a whole other topic).

What online, digital file-sharing did was eat into the profits of the major labels who depended on us blindly buying whatever low-rent bullshit they dished out. We had to buy it (or have our friend burn a cassette of it) to hear it...they had us. Filesharing, while it is illegal in that the labels/publishers (and to a much smaller extent, the artist) don't get paid for what is shared, basically (illegally) levelled the playing field. Those who DO actually buy music (based on the 326 million albums sold in 2010) have the OPTION of hearing it first...if they hear it, and don't like it then they don't buy it...THAT is a legitimate lost sale and THAT is what the industry is suffering from. It gorged itself on bloated, bullshit numbers for so long that when more realistic numbers hit them, they cry starvation.

The people who feed thier music habit 100% on illegally attained MP3s are the same people who would feed thier music habit 100% on dubbed tapes of albums from friends...MP3s are just easier to spread. In other words, they weren't going to biuy it anyway. Those are not lost sales.

The bloated numbers the industry got used to cannot be the measuring stick of the current music business. It has already been proven that albums can be recorded/mixed/mastered/pressed for a small fraction of what it used to cost. If an album costs a fraction of its former cost to make, why does it still carry a price tag of $15-$20?

The industry needs to re-tool itself..restructure...re-crunch the numbers. There is no need, at all, for a band like Metallica to spend $1 million making an album. If the industry as a whole would scale down, focus on making a living instead of focusing on printing money to burn and line birdcages with...in other words, be real, then it could restabalize and sustain itself...IMO.

It's obvious that as the numbers of artists putting out music and touring increases, each gets a smaller piece of the pie to fight over. Less obvious is the fact that this causes the pie to shrink as well. It does this by two methods, one straightforward, and one more speculative. First, artist competition, like in any industry, drives prices down. This lowers the price consumers need to pay for music, and since music purchases are generally not limited by the monetary factor (they're limited by time available to listen to music, interest in new music, etc.), cheaper prices don't mean that people will by more music, they'll simply pay less for the same amount. Second, music is a social phenomenon, and popularity is hugely important in determining what people buy. In a world of overwhelming choice with fewer obvious blockbuster artists to signal to consumers that they should spend their money on music, people won't, and to some extent will opt out entirely. Just as many people only buy lottery tickets when the jackpot gets above $300 million, many people only buy music from mega-stars, and as mega-stars fall off in number and scale, industry revenue shrinks with them.

Thank you.

With said physical media...what's to stop people from simply encoding into mp3? There's always going to be a way.
In this new model, there would be no physical media, save vinyl.

If you had, you'd be one of the richest men in America right now. Simply bringing up points for debate.
Exactly. I'm just throwing it out there as food for thought.

You would need a huge group of electronics, IT, and music companies to come together and attempt to form a standard.
Definitely. This would be a prerequisite.

Oh, wait, they actually did that. IN 1998! 13 years ago! It was called SDMI, and after a year of work, they couldn't come up with anything workable, and it fizzled.
In 1998 they likely lacked the right financial incentives. I suspect they couldn't foresee how impactful the shift would be.

Every step in the last 5 years has been AWAY from DRM. The record companies were the only ones who ever wanted it, and even they decided to move away from it. No one is going back.
You very well may be right. However, at some point, they either stand up and fight to take their sales back or decide all music will be free.

One of the major shifts coming is a move to streaming services. So your decade-old idea about a portable music player phoning-home over the Internet is sort of true, except instead of just DRM information passing over that link, the MUSIC will come over that link too. And if they can get customers to pay for that service, or advertise to them, it might work.
I'm not sure how big this market will grow. Right off the bat, it will be cannibalized by satellite. To tap into the remaining market, providers will have to be able to substantially differentiate themselves from free streaming services.

So, seven years of piracy without a significant dropoff. The precipitous fall has only happened in the last few years, so just looking at the numbers, piracy isn't an obvious culprit.
I'm not convinced this rules out piracy. As the population ages, as it's obviously always doing, the demographic that had always been the industry's bread and butter, has become more heavily influenced by a generation who's illegally downloaded their music since day one. Then, factor in the growing popularity of torrents and RapidShare-based blogs, and I think it becomes fairly straight forward to see how piracy is the number one culprit.

Neil, I'd like to better understand what you think the #1 culprit is (if not piracy).

Anyhow, the original post in this thread was not about the fortunes of the music industry as a whole, but about the fortunes of individual artists and the ability of artists to make a living. That seems like a more practical concern, particularly for music fans. Who cares how much the corporations make, or if any artists can be come millionaires off their music anymore.

More relevant is the question of whether any musician can pay for his food and rent with his music. As the gatekeepers of old continue to fall by the wayside, allowing a tsunami of music and musicians to flood the market, the price any musician can charge, even in a magical world completely free of piracy, will continue to fall. From that perspective, it's easy to see that while piracy may be a problem, it's not the overriding one, or the one that will dominate in the long term.

I want to address this. This goes back to people being stuck in an old mindset. The images we have of the record deal, the studio process, touring, etc are all outdated.

Outside of the major label world, this is how these things are loosely defined:

Record Deal - an independent label agrees to some degree of financial responsibility. It could be a "pay for everything" deal, where they pay for recording, mixing, mastering, artwork/layout (not the same thing), pressing of product, and maybe (depending on the label) print advertisng. Or it could be a license deal where the album is handed to them and they only pay for mastering/pressing/art. Now, understanding that these are independent labels, they are naturally going to want to accomplish this as cheaply as possible so deals are struck with studios & engineers...after this portion, my understanding gets cloudy. But suffice it to say that these labels aren't paying for open-ended studio time for the artist to "find themselves" and write/record at their leisure with hotels paid for and a meal per-diem.

The Studio - at the indie level, you'll very, very rarely hear of an album being recorded at some big Nashville-styled studio complex like The Sound Kitchen or Blackbird. The "studio" consists of, in many cases, whereever the Pro-Tools or Motu engineer can set up thier gear. I've recorded vocal parts for internationally distributed albums in basements, garages, rehearsal rooms, bedrooms, and outdoor sheds (some semi-converted, some very much not). Again, as "on the cheap" as possible is the name of the game. Many bands these days have at least one guy in the band with his own gear to supplement the tracking of some portion of the album (that the label then doesn't have to pay for since the guy in the band owns the gear already and is tracking his own album).

Touring - hahahahahahahahahaa!!!!! Labels do not give tour support anymore. Labels don't "put bands on the road". They can't afford it. A booking agent (many times someone in the band) books a tour on contracts and agreements, shells out money up front to get rolling and hopes they sell enough merch to eat and put gas in the van...then they hope the club doesn't stiff them or try to change the agreement...then they hope their van doesn't break down...then they hope all thier shit doesn't get stolen. Touring...hahahahahaha!!!

Bands, labels and fans need to purge whatever fantasy they have in their heads about how this game in 2011 works. There are too many bands making too many records for too many labels and still the same amount of, or possibly fewer, listeners. There is not enough money to go around. All the bands that want to tour can't. All the bands that want to sell at least one 1,000 count pressing of thier album can't. All the bands who want to make a living can't. And when they can't, what's the first thing they complain about? Downloading. Unreal.

The original article was pretty dumb because the "solution" in the second half didn't do a darn thing to address the problem described in the first half, but that problem statement was certainly a good one.

Logic and reason for the win.

Touring - hahahahahahahahahaa!!!!! Labels do not give tour support anymore. Labels don't "put bands on the road". They can't afford it. A booking agent (many times someone in the band) books a tour on contracts and agreements, shells out money up front to get rolling and hopes they sell enough merch to eat and put gas in the van...then they hope the club doesn't stiff them or try to change the agreement...then they hope their van doesn't break down...then they hope all thier shit doesn't get stolen. Touring...hahahahahaha!!!

Whoaaah there dude. You're right in that alot of indies cannot afford tour support, but there are some that can and the REALLY smart ones have their own-build in booking agencies. Additionally, did you just say that booking agents shell out money up front to get the band on the road? I don't think I've heard of this in the history of booking agents. Maybe sometime long ago this was the norm, but considering how little an agent's booking fee is (usually a % of the band's guarantee.. agents almost NEVER take merch) it would be a disaster for them to actually bankroll a tour. Their only job is to book a tour and uphold the headliner's rider with the promoter via contract/agreement. If your band cannot supply the funds necessary to tour, you get dropped from the agency.

Additionally, although much of what is said by you and skyrefuge is right on the money in my opinion, I'm not a fan with the idea that "nobody is making money" in the music industry. If that was true, the music industry would've died already. If there's no money in a business, then the business won't exist. Now, I know (or am assuming) that you don't literally mean that there's no money in the music industry, and that you're just being general. And that's true to an extent. In the grand scheme of things--of the hundreds of thousands of bands these days, most make no money. However, there are bands who do make money. Many of them. Are there bands that are rich? Yeah, but that's the extreme extreme minority. In metal you can probably count the actual "rockstars" on two hands. There are however, a decent amount bands that live comfortably off their music and are just fine with not being uber wealthy because they are doing what they love. They don't mind a dock in their "salary" because they are able to live comfortably enough to make their art work.

Whoaaah there dude. You're right in that alot of indies cannot afford tour support, but there are some that can and the REALLY smart ones have their own-build in booking agencies.

Awesome...I should have include the word "most".

Additionally, did you just say that booking agents shell out money up front to get the band on the road? I don't think I've heard of this in the history of booking agents.

To clarify, when the "booking agent" is someone in the band, then yeah...I've heard of bands having to save up or use a credit card to get going.

Maybe sometime long ago this was the norm, but considering how little an agent's booking fee is (usually a % of the band's guarantee.. agents almost NEVER take merch) it would be a disaster for them to actually bankroll a tour. Their only job is to book a tour and uphold the headliner's rider with the promoter via contract/agreement. If your band cannot supply the funds necessary to tour, you get dropped from the agency.

Right...I gotcha.

Second of all, I'll restate that every non-sold CD does not equate to a stolen download. CD sales dropped 20%, but digital album sales rose 13%. That could very easily represnt people "going digital". So, we're left with a 7% differential. 7% sales differential could be chalked up to economy.

I agree with most of your post, but just want to point out this one math error. A 20% (actually 19%) drop of CD sales corresponds to 57.4 million fewer albums sold in that format, while an increase of 13% in electronic album sales corresponds to only 9.9 million more albums sold in that format. So the gap is bigger than the comparing percentages makes it seem.

Perhaps the best figure is "Overall Album Sales", which includes physical albums, electronic ("digital") albums, and "track equivalent albums", which is the number of single-track downloads divided by 10, which enables non-album purchases to be included in aggregate. That figure, which can be used as a rough proxy for revenue, was down 9.5%, from 489.8 to 443.4 million albums.

The report summary, which has all sorts of interesting data, is here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ompany-Billboard’s-2010-Music-Industry-Report

For example, we see that metal albums declined the same percentage as rock albums (16%), a good indicator that nothing particularly sets apart metal fans from the mainstream when it comes to purchasing habits.

The list of the top ten paid-download artist puts serious doubt on the hypothesis that young people have grown up torrenting and will spend the rest of their lives expecting music to be free. Those artists are:

Eminem
Ke$ha
Lady Gaga
Katy Perry
Black Eyed Peas
Usher
Glee Cast
Rhianna
Taylor Swift
B.o.B.

When compared to the top 10 selling artists overall in 2010 (which includes physical+downloads), notably absent are Lady Antebellum, Susan Boyle, Michael Jackson, and the Beatles. So we see that compared to old people, young people certainly expect to get their music delivered electronically, but plenty of them still pay for it.

There is also good data to support the idea that the unbundling of the album has been a huge hit on revenue. 4.2 million people downloaded Eminem's track "Love the Way You Lie", while only 3.4 million bought the album that it comes from (physical+download). Before the rise of electronic media, a significant number of those 4.2 million downloaders would have bit the bullet and paid $15 for the entire album rather than $1 they paid now. If we conservatively assume that only 20% of those 4.2 million would have bought the album if the single wasn't available, that's nearly $12 million in lost revenue from that one case alone.

Neil

I agree with most of your post, but just want to point out this one math error. A 20% (actually 19%) drop of CD sales corresponds to 57.4 million fewer albums sold in that format, while an increase of 13% in electronic album sales corresponds to only 9.9 million more albums sold in that format. So the gap is bigger than the comparing percentages makes it seem.

Understood.

young people certainly expect to get their music delivered electronically, but plenty of them still pay for it.

Exactly.

There is also good data to support the idea that the unbundling of the album has been a huge hit on revenue. 4.2 million people downloaded Eminem's track "Love the Way You Lie", while only 3.4 million bought the album that it comes from (physical+download). Before the rise of electronic media, a significant number of those 4.2 million downloaders would have bit the bullet and paid $15 for the entire album rather than $1 they paid now. If we conservatively assume that only 20% of those 4.2 million would have bought the album if the single wasn't available, that's nearly $12 million in lost revenue from that one case alone.

Exactly...and that's legitimate lost revenue compared to a time when we HAD to buy the whole CD...which goes back to the industry crying "Starvation!" because they aren't getting the same bloated numbers they were used to in the old days.

Your 20% example of those who "would have bought the album if the single wasn't available" could also easily translate into the same crowd that would have lost, broken or re-sold the CD once they were tired of the song.