CD INZANE - anybody know what's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I clearly said that it was the entire CD package that was about to go out the window, had Zane not helped us ... not just one of the three ...

My comment was taken totally out of context, but whatever. I don't come to ProgPower every year for a free cd anyways. In the 10 I've attended, I've probably opened maybe 4 sampler cd's. The others are just part of the collection, great to look at, but would I really miss 'em? Nope.
I just think that the free cd doesn't mean as much to the attendees of ProgPower as not being assfucked by Zane does.

In regards to the sampler CD - isn't some of the recoup for the costs & this 'free' labor through the fees charged to the bands to get on the sampler? While we the attendees don't specifically pay for it (as has been stressed), it looks like it's ~$300 to get a song on the CD sampler. Combined with the number of tracks (ie. rough estimate of 42 tracks last year *$300 = $12k+), it just doesn't seem like it's a complete charity case. Not trying to stir the pot - but I think it needs to be mentioned since those individuals with faults & bad experiences of CDInzane were somehow accused of being 'bitches' because we're stating our experiences.

On topic with CDInzane...

My story with CDInzane dates way back to pre-2007. I had actually migrated from using The End Records as my CD vendor of choice (due to TER shifting out of the more power/prog releases I enjoyed) to CDInzane. I had definitely ordered hundreds of dollars of merchandise from his store prior to this incident.

I remember there was a thread on a forum where there was actually discussion of CDInzane. The experiences described here, someone else had encountered it and they had been told to take their business elsewhere. I had made two posts on the thread - my main argument being how shipping times had been decreasing since I first started using him and the price fluctuations, etc. Nothing was hostile or malicious in my comments. Just stating my experience and thoughts. I even ended my one post with a comment on how Zane has always been cool to me.

I think it was in the next day or two - Zane personally e-mailed me. Somehow he had found my posts, figured out what my account was on the webstore, and sent an e-mail where he said they had told and seen that I was "badmouthing" their company and employees

I replied confused - a) surprised he would actually have gone to that extent to track me down and respond and b) say I was badmouthing his company (obviously he doesn't/didn't take any critiques on his business well) and then also his employees. The only employee I had mentioned was Zane and I had said he had always been cool to me.

So I replied with my side of things, tried to explain my comments more in detail and indicated how I was surprised he was writing to me like this.

He then sent me a really nasty e-mail back just ripping into me. Classic quotes included how he didn't want to hear about my dissatisfaction of the company and airing my laundry on "everyone and their mother's homepage" [Uh - I didn't post anywhere else]. He threw in Glenn's name saying "what do you think glenn at progpower would say to you if you did this to him??? he would shut you down and ban you from that festival..." He then did the same threats as others have mentioned stating I better stop what I'm saying or he's going to stop selling to me and all that

So I responded one more time trying to explain again - this is my perspective as the customer, and tried again to defend myself. Well, he sent a third and final e-mail again intermixed with profanity and basically how clueless I was, how apparently I had a vendetta against them and was going all over online badmouthing them, that if I don't like it don't order from them, etc. After that he deleted the one pre-order I currently had open and that was that.

I stopped shopping there as a result. His language, tone and attacks in his e-mails were by far the worst and most unprofessional customer service I've ever had from a company.

He always spouted they had thousands of orders a day but I just can't see that. We're a small percentage of the metal community on this forum - but look how many people here have had issues with him. To say "well every vendor has their complaints" or something is silly IMO. He clearly has a high percentage of problems here just on our forum (and other forums as well). Sadly he'll probably attribute the decline of his business due to the industry, but when you count how many people on this forum could have been repeat customers and that he eventually burned, his days just seemed numbered. You can't run or sustain a business that way

Personally, if people don't get refunds for their preorders (Note - I am not one of them obviously) I honestly wouldn't want to see them selling CD's at future PPs. Just doesn't seem right IMO

In regards to the sampler CD - isn't some of the recoup for the costs & this 'free' labor through the fees charged to the bands to get on the sampler? While we the attendees don't specifically pay for it (as has been stressed), it looks like it's ~$300 to get a song on the CD sampler. Combined with the number of tracks (ie. rough estimate of 42 tracks last year *$300 = $12k+), it just doesn't seem like it's a complete charity case. Not trying to stir the pot - but I think it needs to be mentioned since those individuals with faults & bad experiences of CDInzane were somehow accused of being 'bitches' because we're stating our experiences.

This. The ticket price may not include the cost of the sampler, but bands are paying for a spot so its not losing money either.

I have only bought some CD's at PP during the markdown Saturdays from Zane. I think I ordered once online for one CD. I can't remember if it came in a speedy manner or not. He may have done well by Glenn on the sampler and has been good to the fest, however, the way this thread has gone on and on overwhelmingly on the negative side I think says it all. Anyone who takes money for pre-orders months in advance for CD's is running a business poorly. It's like I'll take your money now, and then when you actually want what you paid for, I may send it to you, that is if I have it to send to you. Or maybe I won't. Oh you want your money back? Fuck you it's your fault you don't have it yet. That's inexcusable.

Try to imagine how many CDs Zane sold and how much revenue he made every year by Glenn allowing him to set up shop at ProgPower. Now imagine not having that revenue because Glenn didn't allow him back at ProgPower because he decided to act like a complete jerk when Glenn and Claus approached him for his help with the CD sampler and program. That should help explain his behavior.

Now read about Zane's behavior when he wasn't allowed to set up his tables at the Melodic Rock II Festival in 2010...

http://www.heartofmetal.net/t12615-egotistical-cdinzane

I remember this. It was absolutely inzane. :tickled:

Based on a few comments, I unfortunately need to comment once again. However, please allow me to divide it up into specific aspects:

1. As previously stated, I personally remain neutral on the commentary over the business practices of CD Inzane. I simply ask that no personal attacks be made, and that includes my own crew.

2. Claus does a fantastic job with the sampler. Thus, he is much more close to the business/personal side of that than I. I can understand his frustration & sentiment even if I do not agree with his choice of words. However, I will not censor him nor anyone disagreeing with him as long as it remains civil going forward on both sides. My comments should be taken as the official statement of ProgPower USA while his comments are his own.

3. I understand that fan speculation on business on facts in front of them is part of the game. I do it myself to others. However, I will admit that costs/payments are never black & white from year to year and labor is never factored in as well. Thus, the great years cannot be compared to the lean years (and those are where Zane assisted us). Any disagreement with that is pure speculation and needs to be stated as such.

Happy Holidays.

Glenn

If I could add just one more comment to Glenn's post above...

PPUSA is not a charity event. It is a business. And as such, it is run to make a profit for it's CEO and fellow investors. That doesn't mean it's not a labor of love. It obviously is. All relevant caveats apply. However, at the end of the day, Glenn is a capitalist. He invests his time and money in hope that he will make money. That said, there have been several years when the profit margins were quite slim. But that's beside the point. He invests in it - far more than just the money - and has every right to see a return on investment.

Sorry. Hope that didn't seem like a rant. Just helpful information to keep in mind when discussing festival related business. It helps to keep a sense of perspective. It IS a business after all.

My comment was taken totally out of context, but whatever. I don't come to ProgPower every year for a free cd anyways. In the 10 I've attended, I've probably opened maybe 4 sampler cd's. The others are just part of the collection, great to look at, but would I really miss 'em? Nope.
I just think that the free cd doesn't mean as much to the attendees of ProgPower as not being assfucked by Zane does.

Just as a note, not everyone has been treated rudely by Zane. Personally, I've never had a problem with him, tho I know people who do. In fact, I bet that the vast majority of attendees will probably be unaware of his business problems, if he indeed keeps selling CDs at ProgPower.

While people's stories are interesting, it won't change my interaction with his business at ProgPower. If he has CDs I want, I'll buy from him. Certainly other people's experiences will be in the back of my mind, but I tend to do business from my personal experience, and in all the years of going to ProgPower, I never had an issue with him.

Sidetrack:

I'm going to chime in on the CD sampler/mag portion since I was the guy who started that way back when.

It was always designed as a win/win/win/kinda-win treat.

Win 1) Bands/labels/businesses get exposure and promotion by booking their wares on the CD/Event program, which go to a highly targeted (and ferocious) metal crowd, who actually BUY stuff. And, it goes to them for free.
Win 2) The festival gets a few more bucks in profit to go towards the fest expenses. It helps with countless expenses the fest incurs as you can imagine.
Win 3) It's free to attendees.
Kinda-Win) A little bit also went to the person spending countless hours putting the whole thing together. It takes a butt load of time organizing, compiling, communicating, designing, etc. everything for the CD and program. So much so that I could longer do it once I went from working freelance to getting a full time job years back. Thankfully Claus was around, and it is no different for him. He will vouch for the countless hours it takes. Any $ earned on our part probably still comes under minimum wage when all is said and done (for the love of metal Claus?! :) ).

So, while there is income generated from it, in the end, it's not as much as you might think after all the expenses are handled. It should always serve as a win/win/kinda-win thing. It would probably go away if at any point any of those columns were a "loss".

IMO, that CD sampler has improved over the years and I don't mean that it wasn't great to begin with. If I recall correctly it started out as a single disc, then moved to a double disc and now is a three discs set! I doubt any other festivals provide that to their attendees. I look forward to it every year, but I had no idea who was mainly responsible for it. Claus, considering Zane's departure, I hope that doesn't mean the sampler is in jeopardy. It's great stuff! :kickass:

~Brian~

If CD Inzane is still selling CDs at Progpower, then CD Inzane still exists as a going concern and the company is obligated to refund any money it received for which it didn't ship the product ordered. Like, immediately.

If CD Inzane is still selling CDs at Progpower, then CD Inzane still exists as a going concern and the company is obligated to refund any money it received for which it didn't ship the product ordered. Like, immediately.

Amen brother! Anyone with a sense of morality and good judgment will give their money to someone else.

In fairness to Zane, for all his faults he doesn't seem like the guy who would commit outright fraud. It'll probably take some time, but I'm sure he'll close out his final transactions with customers properly. He's still a respected member of the metal community, all things considered. Defrauding "millions" of customers would probably make him persona non grata at the events he wants to continue to sell at.

Personally I have no bad experience other than waiting an eternity for a pre-order purchase which was the last time I decided to order from him.

Hasn't the site been down only a short time? Has he really stiffed everyone or is he just a bit busy right now getting everything in order?

Obviously, an official statement from CD Inzane would be nice. Closing a business isn't as simple as saying, "we're closed". WHich he'll soon find out if he doesn't know it already.

With Zane's permission to post:

"We have closed our doors to concentrate on our other businesses but will continue to join everyone and sell LOTS OF METAL for all future Progpower Festivals."

OK the drugs have taken effect...does this mean the guy is not going to communicate with customers, not going to give refunds, and basically cheese off a bunch of people, and THEN come to Atlanta in 2015 and set up a table?

It is a good thing that nobody who goes to the festival reads this forum...

I have met him in person a few times at Powerfest and he is a great guy. I used to order a lot from him over the years. Stopped since my taste have changed over the years. But I have read and heard horror stories. With my orders there has only been a small bump here or there along the way. Have had worse issues with other distros in the past.

Hasn't the site been down only a short time? Has he really stiffed everyone or is he just a bit busy right now getting everything in order?

Obviously, an official statement from CD Inzane would be nice. Closing a business isn't as simple as saying, "we're closed". WHich he'll soon find out if he doesn't know it already.

This was posted on the official CDINZANE facebook page, the next day the facebook page had been deleted. Ill take this as an official statement.

"***NOTICE OF CLOSURE***
Everyone,

After 14 years of business, CD Inzane LLC has been forced to close our doors on 12/13/2014. Our company is no longer in business.

It was a difficult decision, but after the past 3 years of falling
behind due to the slowdown of the music industry, we had no other option and were forced to close.

We wish to thank you all for your commitment and service to us through wholesale, purchases and your partnership.

Going forward, our staff will no longer be able to be contacted due to this dissolve of our business and its permanent closure.

Have a happy 2015!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen, The CDINZANE Team"

Status
Not open for further replies.