Dokken in Charlotte

the rhythm

Apr 27, 2006
I don't know if there are many fans on this board, but I just saw Dokken last night at Amos' Southend in Charlotte. It was a fun show in a GREAT venue. It was spacious, the beer prices were fair, there were no tough guys roaming around. The first opener was Jive Mother Mary, who I thought was a local band. They play an excellent brand of hard rock and blues. They closed with a 10 minute version of Hendrix's "Voodoo Child" which was the best version I've heard. Seriously.
The other two bands did absolutely nothing for me or my entourage. Dokken hit the stage at 11:40 and came out guns blazing with "Kiss of Death." The set was a greatest hits type affair with only one track off the new album "Standing on the Outside." My night was made four songs in when "Dream Warriors" kicked in. The guitarist nailed the solo with the panache that reminded me of a young George Lynch.
Speaking of the guitarist, he was amazing. The band had a jam session during the middle of "Too High to Fly" and he showed amazing ability, prompting Dokken to come out and comment on how important it was for musicians to be able to skillfully play their instruments. We had a great time at the show, but their were two flaws to it. Dokken played too short of a set for a headliner at only 1 hour 10 minutes. I wanted to hear "The Hunter," but they didn't play it. Also, Dokken does not have the vocal range that he used to, leading to him omitting some of the high notes from the songs. His lower range vocals sound great, however. Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to accurately describe the show.

In my excessive post, I forgot to post the setlist. It is accurate, other than the order might be a little mixed up.
Kiss of Death
Into the Fire
Standing on the Outside
Dream Warriors
Just Got Lucky
Breaking the Chains (sounded really heavy and tight)
Alone Again
Too High to Fly
It's Not Love
Unchain the Night
Tooth and Nail
In My Dreams

yeah, looking forward to seeing Dokken next Sunday night here in Atlanta with Poison and Sebastian Bach. Should be a fun show, top to bottom.

I haven't seen Dokken since 1984 when they opened for Dio on the 'Last In Line' tour. Dokken was touring for their 'Tooth and Nail' album at the time.

:headbang:

yeah, looking forward to seeing Dokken next Sunday night here in Atlanta with Poison and Sebastian Bach. Should be a fun show, top to bottom.

I haven't seen Dokken since 1984 when they opened for Dio on the 'Last In Line' tour. Dokken was touring for their 'Tooth and Nail' album at the time.

:headbang:

It should be a fun show. I don't really care for Posion or Bach, so I chose the club show. I don't think Dokken's voice will sound as good, but the guitarist is a more than suitable replacement for George Lynch.

Big Dokken fan here, I'd love to see a headlining show from 'em but I don't think I'll make
the Poison show just to see them for 45 minutes (I'm guessing that's what they are going
to get).

The new album LIGHTNING STRIKES AGAIN has been one of my favorites of the Summer.
Sure Don's vocals are a little rough but overall he sounds fine and I agree Jon Levin is
excellent, really has the early Lynch sound down. Unfortunately according to Don LSA
will probably be their last album, as he figures no one is buying them anymore. Shame...

"In an interview conducted Monday by the Monsters In The Morning Radio Show, DOKKEN vocalist Don Dokken confirmed that guitarist GEORGE LYNCH will take the stage for one song at the upcoming Rock The Bayou Festival. "

If memory serves, George opened his mouth earlier this year in some random interview, and let it known that it was planned for 2009.... I believe Don said it wasnt, and it kind of died there.....

I am excited at the possibility :)

Honestly, I'd rather see George release something new that reminds me of his songwriting from days long gone. I really liked his solo album, and Dokken's "Dysfunctional" is one of the most underrated albums I've ever heard from any band. I think doing a Dokken reunion tour would only drive all of the members nuts.

That said, I'm really curious about this current Dokken tour now that I found out that they have Jeff Martin on drums and the guy from House Of Lords (his name escapes me now) on bass. I guess they're just temporary replacements, but you would think that it would still be important enought to mention this news on the band's official website. I was going to see them in Chicago, anyway, but now that I finally get to see Jeff Martin play the drums, I'm totally sold!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

OK so who all exactly is in Dokken as of TODAY? I am seeing them this Sinday in the ATL along with Poison and Sibitchin Bach.

Instead of a Dokken reunion with Lynch, I'd rather see Lynch record something with his Lynch Mob line up that was suppose to go on the road with Cinderella this summer. Of course that didn't happen, but it would've killed if it had. George Lynch, Oni Logan, Mark Mendoza, and Tommy Aldridge. :worship:

~Brian~

Holy crap! I didn't know Jeff Martin was with these guys now! :worship: What happened to Mick Brown and Barry Sparks though?

~Brian~

Mick Brown was already touring with Ted Nugent and so couldn't do the Dokken tour.

Not sure why Barry bowed out of the tour. Chris McCarvill is the touring bassist.

According to Don, Mick and Barry are still both members of Dokken.

Steph

Mick Brown was already touring with Ted Nugent and so couldn't do the Dokken tour.

Not sure why Barry bowed out of the tour. Chris McCarvill is the touring bassist.

According to Don, Mick and Barry are still both members of Dokken.

Steph

I forgot about Mick Brown drumming for Ted Nugent. Man, I didn't know Jeff Martin was still involved in music! I wish that he could find a permanent slot in a good hard rock band again.

~Brian~