DragonForce & Turisas N. American Tour

I had a good time as well.

I had to leave directly from work so I missed all of Powerglove (not sure if that's good or bad, and I'm still not sure after hearing about the show :)). Got inside a couple of songs into Turisas' set, which sucked because they were the band I was looking forward to the most. I was on stage-right not too far back from the handicapped section in front of the barricade.
I thought they were great. Although, as Gamefreac said, their show at Paganfest had a better audience response and it was my first time seeing them, too, so it remains my favorite. "To Holmgard And Beyond" was indeed epic. :kickass:

After their set I went to the merch table to talk to them and got my ticket signed, so I was probably not too far away from you, Gamefreac. I was wearing a PPUSA IX t-shirt.

For Dragonforce, I was by the back bar just to the right of the soundboard, hangin' with two members of the local Brazilian metal contingent who know me from WREKage. And who bought me a soda, so that's cool. :)
It was funny watching all the younger kids -- and there were a lot back there, at least a dozen, many with parents -- trying to watch the show over the much-taller crowd. The barricade behind the soundboard ended up being the place they flocked to, since it gave them the best unobstructed view of the stage. (Although there were some people up in the first balcony, it was officially not open...would have been nice for the kiddies if it had been...) Gotta say it was cool to see kids enjoying probably their first metal show. There's hope for the future.

I thought Dragonforce were pretty good. I had low expectations thanks in part to the Forum and while I'm sure they made a lot of mistakes, most of the crowd seemed to enjoy them and they played for 1:45 or so, more than acceptable for a headliner. (The last band I saw perform at the Tabernacle played for a whopping 65 minutes, there was no opening band, tickets cost $26 (though mine was free), and the crowd left happy. :yow: )

Me, I made Pac-man "waka-waka-waka" hand-motions whenever the guitarist and keytarist were chasing eachother around the stage and over the riser, to the amusement of the people there in the back. :heh:

I was able to stick around for their entire set plus encore, and then went outside, talking to some people (and freezing) out by the tour-bus, and then headed down to do WREKage. Played two DF songs and "Cursed Be Iron" by Turisas...I wish they'd had their other album at the merch table, or I'd have bought it and played it, too!

All in all, a fun night. Man, that was a tired drive home!
It was a great show indeed! Cursed Be Iron is MY fave Turisas song, followed closely by RASPUTIN!

This is how I'd rate the bands' sets in ATL:

Powerglove 9/10
Turisas 11/10
Dragonforce 10/10

I took some pictures at the ATL show. Hope you guys enoy these. :)

d0002847_492d0a0349dc9.jpg

d0002847_492d09fd5041a.jpg

d0002847_492d0a065f172.jpg

http://pds13.egloos.com/pds/200811/26/47/d0002847_492d09fa007bd.jpg
http://pds11.egloos.com/pds/200811/26/47/d0002847_492d09ffe64c2.jpg
http://pds10.egloos.com/pds/200811/25/47/d0002847_492b346713e83.jpg
http://pds13.egloos.com/pds/200811/25/47/d0002847_492b346e3b1c9.jpg
http://pds11.egloos.com/pds/200811/25/47/d0002847_492b347714849.jpg
http://pds11.egloos.com/pds/200811/25/47/d0002847_492b349962c12.jpg
http://pds10.egloos.com/pds/200811/25/47/d0002847_492b34a510a37.jpg
http://pds12.egloos.com/pds/200811/25/47/d0002847_492b34bff2dc1.jpg
http://pds10.egloos.com/pds/200811/23/47/d0002847_4928ca5bb22ba.jpg (TURISAS)
http://pds10.egloos.com/pds/200811/23/47/d0002847_4928ca61abeb3.jpg (TURISAS)
http://pds11.egloos.com/pds/200811/23/47/d0002847_4928ca6443c7f.jpg (TURISAS)

Had a great time at the show even though I ended up going by myself. Got there at 7:50 and Power Glove had not even started. Hmm, that wasn't part of the plan. So, grabbed a beer and waited to see what these dudes were about.

Whoa. It's clear they are trying to take cheese to the outer limits of taste and pungency. They dress in metal armor accoutrements BUT, said props are made out of foam-like stuff that make them look like cartoon characters. They had two banners with the words "Power" and "Glove" waving maniacally behind the drummer. I had visions of a couple of dwarfs back there in a misguided Spinal Tap parody frantically hurling them back and forth. Then I realized - they're attached to the back of the drummer. :guh: That's a weird idea and can't possibly enhance his playing.

Actually, they weren't all that bad musically. They're sound was sort of easy-listening power metal providing an unobtrusive background for beer drinking and socialization. Could have done without them coaxing the crowd into chanting, "Kill the bird" (I think) and "Go Go Power Rangers!" (I swear).

I admit to succumbing to curiosity and going down to the photo pit for a song just to ogle their floatation devices up close. Was there just in time for the passing out of the inflatable swords! Didn't get one. Anyway, here are some photos so you won't think I made this up:

08PG1.jpg

08PG5.jpg

08PG8.jpg

Turisas was the total draw for me. They were dynamic, gritty, inspired and everything else I expected. Funny encounter before the set was when they chose to use the Ladies Room as a hallway to enter the stage. (Common in the Starland Ballroom, since it runs along the back of the stage.) Security was telling them, “Hey, hey, you can’t go through here.” And they were like "En ymmärrä?” Didn’t mind the minor intrusion, but can only hope the stench was from the grease paint and not their costumes. Whoa!
They kicked major ass and were the high point of the night, as expected. Wow, that violin player is aMAZing and so mesmerizing!

n1586465233_30096006_1155.jpg

The accordion player is fabulously cute and charismatic:
n1586465233_30096007_6876.jpg

And the rest of the band nearly matches in stage presence their awesome musical performance .

n1586465233_30096012_7981.jpg

Dragonforce was, well, Dragonforce. Fast, tight, exciting and, um fast! Far too many little kids in the crowd with dopey parent who hadn’t a clue. Still, they did their job; had a great response; and I left after the 3rd song. Rock On! :headbang: I’ll never master that damn Guitar Hero song, so fuck it.

n1586465233_30095452_4624.jpg

Bah. For some reason I was thinking this was Tuesday in Poughkeepsie. Not sure I can make the drive tomorrow night. Sleep schedule is really screwed up since getting back from Mexico on Wed and don't think I'll be getting more than 2 hrs before work.... :-/ I'll still go to work with a change of clothes but I'm likely going to be way too tired.

I thought those armors were leftovers from of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' wardrobe...

Turisas are great and Netta is young and sweet (just turned 18 a few weeks ago) but it always cracks me up when I see her with that white "Lasse Pihlajamäki"-accordeon. You guys may not get it, but it is a model you most likely will see leading a tango orchestra here, tango, a tradition carried on for decades in Finland since the "golden 20's" when the first radio broadcasts and gramophones made it a nationwide fashion. Wierd, I know. For the luck metal has infected the youth and young guys and chicks like Netta don't hesitate using accordeons and violins besides the "holy trinity" of guitar-bass-drums.

Saw this tour in Philly yesterday.

POWERGLOVE - Horrible beyond words.

TURISAS - Incredible beyond words.

DRAGONFORCE - I prefer them on CD after finally seeing them for the first time. Vadim Pruzhanov and Sam Totman's flaming sissy antics lead me to believe both need beatings like nobody's business. Those two don't help the cause for those people who call DF "gay".

This was a killer show, for sure! Dragonforce has become one of my favorite bands now, and Turisas is one of my top 5 finds of the year. I am really starting to get into them now.

Caught the Chicago HoB show. Dragonforce delivered. Much more so than virtually every other alleged "big name" power metal act out there today. Their execution of the new material was fucking unreal. The Last Journey Home and The Warrior Inside only compounded my laughter at those on this forum who can't see through their bias to enjoy this band.:headbang:

Caught the Chicago HoB show. Dragonforce delivered. Much more so than virtually every other alleged "big name" power metal act out there today. Their execution of the new material was fucking unreal. The Last Journey Home and The Warrior Inside only compounded my laughter at those on this forum who can't see through their bias to enjoy this band.:headbang:

really???? I was at the show and they put on a great show but the sound was messed up. The guitars were way to low and it was an off night for the singer....he couldnt hit the high notes. Still they were not bad, but not amazing.

Just returned from the show in St. Paul.

POWERGLOVE: had never heard of them. They were pretty fun, but it gets old for me without a singer. They definitely put forth a good effort. Their video game schtick is silly but still enjoyable. I'm going to steal Metalmilita2000's top line of the evening describing them: they're Gwar K-12 :D

TURISAS: was not familiar with their work. I am rarely totally impressed by a new band live, because even if they're very good, I find it hard to enjoy when I don't know any of the music. But exception here - these guys (and gal) are AWESOME! I was pretty much entranced their whole set. I picked up their CD at the show.

DRAGONFORCE: what can you say? They are fun. Yes, they only have one song (all of them). They're not even close to one of my favorite bands, but their brand of silly, unserious, ridiculous fun is infectious and makes for a fun evening. Thoroughly enjoyable. Yes, I'd take the seriousness and gravity of, say, Kamelot nine out of ten times, but it's still fun to eat the musical equivalent of a bucket of candy once in awhile.

And may I say, I had a very good time getting out and watching for a change, been a long time since I watched a show, I mean really watched a show, not playing or selling.

First up was POWERGLOVE and while I thought their name was...well lame, I really enjoyed the band a lot, they're "Instrumental Video Game Metal" much like Dragonforce are, however, I would say they have a lot more variety and melody in what their doing, it's not all 150 beats per minute.

Next up TURISAS....( the reason I was excited to see this show), I had caught a glimpse of these guys at Paganfest (Chicago Powerfest associated version) and thought they were very interesting. Both Mary and I were blown away by this bands presence, delivery and great epic anthems of Viking Battle Metal, simply put this is a MUST SEE band for any metal fan! Bought their CD after the show will play a cut on my radio show tomorrow, but even though the production is great on the album and it's true, pure and original sounding, their SHOW is the thing that sets these guys apart from the heard! They are authentic, even with the warpaint
and the crazy viking outfits taking their show to 11, this band can ware this stuff and it's in their hearts, their the real deal, strait from Finland!

The violinist in this band is amazing as is their female accordian player, this I know sounds a bit out of sorts for traditional metal fans, but I assure you, they deliver in proud metal glorious form, the front man has a strong warrior voice and amazing presence and command of the audience!

Dragonforce, was technically dazzling but the
speed shred video game metal at warp factor 9 tends to all sound the same and bore me after the awe of their energy and playing is past, they seem to be having fun, and goofing off and that rubs off on the audience and me and is worth the price of admission to be sure, but I felt they were even bored with the tunes after watching them more closely, still a band worth seeing at least once to say you've seen the fastest band in the land.

Guess this was their last US show on this leg of the tour, so those who snoozed....lost, but those of you reading this from Canada, the tour is coming, don't miss it!

:headbang:

Just returned from the show in St. Paul.

POWERGLOVE: had never heard of them. They were pretty fun, but it gets old for me without a singer. They definitely put forth a good effort. Their video game schtick is silly but still enjoyable. I'm going to steal Metalmilita2000's top line of the evening describing them: they're Gwar K-12 :D

TURISAS: was not familiar with their work. I am rarely totally impressed by a new band live, because even if they're very good, I find it hard to enjoy when I don't know any of the music. But exception here - these guys (and gal) are AWESOME! I was pretty much entranced their whole set. I picked up their CD at the show.

DRAGONFORCE: what can you say? They are fun. Yes, they only have one song (all of them). They're not even close to one of my favorite bands, but their brand of silly, unserious, ridiculous fun is infectious and makes for a fun evening. Thoroughly enjoyable. Yes, I'd take the seriousness and gravity of, say, Kamelot nine out of ten times, but it's still fun to eat the musical equivalent of a bucket of candy once in awhile.

This post wins. The musical equivalent of a bucket of candy, ahahaha, I was hoping you were going to say this after our conversation last night, Gwar K-12, ahahaha, I almost forgot about that.