DragonForce & Turisas N. American Tour

We totally spaced that this tour was coming until about 3 hours before the show last Saturday, but headed down to the venue with time to spare.

Power Glove had me laughing so hard I almost pee'd. "ARE YOU READY FOR SOME MORE VIDEO GAME METAL???" :lol::lol: I guess they were good for what they were doing.

Turisas was excellent!!! This was my first time seeing them since I had to miss Pagenfest. Next time, a longer set!

We only stayed thru 1.5 songs of Dragonforce. Never been my cup of tea. Into the second song, I looked at my boyfriend and said that he might not be able to drive me home as a piece of Brie had just lodged in his left eye. We left immed. :p

Power Glove had me laughing so hard I almost pee'd. "ARE YOU READY FOR SOME MORE VIDEO GAME METAL???" :lol::lol: I guess they were good for what they were doing.
Thanks for the warning. We'll stay at pub for one more pre-game beer. How long was their set?

Turisas was excellent!!! This was my first time seeing them since I had to miss Pagenfest. Next time, a longer set!
They're the whole reason we're going. Will want to see their whole set. When did they go on?

Will be interesting to see how I fair with Dragonforce. I'll have a couple 18-year-old Guitar Hero fans with me. This could be painful. Hopefully, txprog's thread on DF will be apply.

Thanks for the warning. We'll stay at pub for one more pre-game beer. How long was their set?

They're the whole reason we're going. Will want to see their whole set. When did they go on?

Will be interesting to see how I fair with Dragonforce. I'll have a couple 18-year-old Guitar Hero fans with me. This could be painful. Hopefully, txprog's thread on DF will be apply.

They went on early. We got inside just after 8 and they were already on. Show was over by about 10:40, not bad when you've got a couple of kids that have to get up and go to school the next day.

As for DF, well I guess it's a guilty pleasure, but I'm like them and a total sucker for their more "sophisticated" stuff. The instrumental nuances in some of their stuff is quite fascinating. As I said in the other thread, they can be hit or miss live, but at the show the other night they were great. Full of energy, clearly having a great time. My son and I both noticed that they were not drinking on stage as in previsous shows, and maybe this is an attempt to up the professionalism a bit.

My son is 15, a gamer and Guitar Hero guy, but also a real metal enthusiast. He really "gets" it I think, with Therion, Kamelot and Blind Guardian among his favorite bands. I love hearing him play stuff like "To Mega Therion" and "Center of the Universe" on his guitar. John Petrucci looked him in the eye and said, "keep practicing." Yes he's got the tools, just needs to practice more.

Anyhow, enjoy the show!

Saw this show last Thursday here in SLC. Only went to see Turisas, who were incredible and the highlight of the night. Powerglove: IMO; RETARDED! What a waste of 35 min, is this seriously the next generation of humans? Dragonforce; wasn't going to stay but for a few songs, but found myself enjoying all of the shenanigans they pull on stage was quite entertained. The music sounded like an hour-fifteen min run-on song, but alas I actually stayed for the whole thing. I'm in love with Netta, the accordian player from Turisas, and if you're reading, my proposal still stands!

I officially have off work as of yesterday so I will definitely be there

I'm so excited for this show...I hope the crowd doesn't suck

See you all tomorrow :kickass:

I know that Dragonforce gets a lot of crap for their live performances, but I was throughly entertained. ZP Theart smiled all night long and his voice just would not give out. And bringing the kid out on the stage just made me smile that much more. The thanks they gave for putting thier new CD in the top twenty was Ace as well. They really seem to appreciate their fans.

As for Sam and Herman, I thought they did competent jobs. Sure, some of it was a "wall of noise", but it is on the CD as well. I was able to recognize all of the musical shifts and found myself caught up in it all and really having a good time. So, i'm going to be one of the first to say that I feel the drubbing they have been getting is largely unfounded. No complaints here.

Turisas were great as well. I was not that familiar with their work, but very energetic and fun. The audience did not give them enough credit though, and felt sorry for the lead singer on the last song when the mic went out on him. :p

Powerglove...well it was mostly music with not much singing. I did like the flags that were attached to the drummers back.

Anyway, ended up buying a DF shirt when I felt like there was no way I would going in. Guess i'm a Dragonforce fanboy now. :headbang:

I thought Dragonforce flat out sucked last night, but out of the 4 times I've seen them it was the first time I didn't enjoy their performance. Probably an off night.
Turisas was fantastic.

The best I've seen Dragonforce. I like them okay, but I'm not a big fan.
Turisas is fast becoming one of my all time favorite live performers.

Alright so me and 3 friends are about to leave and right when we're getting in my car one of them says "oh shit...where's my ticket?"

So we look for 30 minutes and don't find it so I told him I would pay $10 and my other friend would pay $7 and he would pay $20 to buy him another ticket (tickets were a LOT more the day of the show). So we finally are on our way and we get there about the 2nd song into Powerglove's set.

Powerglove: We got in when they were playing the Mortal Kombat song and it was pretty cool. They played Mario Minor, the Final Fantasy song, So Sexy Robotnic, and the Power Rangers song (SO AMAZING) as the closer. We were in the back so it kinda sucked but they were good and fun live. A lot of people in the crowd had rubber swords.

Turisas:
We moved towards the front (about 5-6 rows behind the rail) and waited for Turisas. Well me and my friend knew the crowd was there for Dragonforce so we had to get a pit going to represent the best band. So he pushed me once then the pit broke out. So we started the pit :). And it was amazing. The crowd was really good and the singer said they didn't' expect much but we were one of the best crowds of the tour so far. One More was really good and the singer saw me singing the lyrics and I squealed like a little girl when he pointed at me (hahahaha j/k). In the Court of Jarisleif was epic, as was To Holmgard and Beyond. Overall I think Paganfest was a little better because of the crowd and just the vibe......plus it was my first time seeing them so it was just awesome. But they were still by far the best band of the night and well worth going.

I went out to buy a shirt and the guitarist and accordionist were signing stuff but I left my CD in the car. So I bought a shirt and donated 10 cents to Turisas and 10 cents to Powerglove (their tip jar was literally a Nintendo lmao). And I got the guitarist and Netta (accordianist) to sign my ticket. I also asked them when they were headlining and Netta said they were coming back to headline the US next Spring.

Dragonforce:

Well my friends were being gay and wanted to leave after the first song but I let them know I was the one driving and seeing them is a hell of a lot better than going home to be bored. So they went outside for an hour and 1 friend stayed with me. There were A LOT of little kids and girls there. I saw 3 little kids int he pit (probably 7-9 years old and 1 kid got nailed and went straight to the ground like a bowling pin...sad). But Dragonforce were OK. I didn't like the new songs live at all. As far as the vocals go, they were perfect. The guitars were pretty good but Herman screwed up a lot of the solos. I liked the Sonic Firestorm stuff, a few off Inhuman Rampage, and Valley of the Damned was good too. Nobody knew that song though lol. They ended with Through the Fire and Flames and it was pretty cool live. I probably won't see them again unless a good band is also playing, but they were alright.

Overall, pretty awesome night. Turisas was well worth it, Powerglove are also great, and Dragonforce is pretty fun live. I can't wait to see Turisas headline though.

And I didn't get any pics cuz my phone died. Sorry :(

I had a good time as well.

I had to leave directly from work so I missed all of Powerglove (not sure if that's good or bad, and I'm still not sure after hearing about the show :)). Got inside a couple of songs into Turisas' set, which sucked because they were the band I was looking forward to the most. I was on stage-right not too far back from the handicapped section in front of the barricade.
I thought they were great. Although, as Gamefreac said, their show at Paganfest had a better audience response and it was my first time seeing them, too, so it remains my favorite. "To Holmgard And Beyond" was indeed epic. :kickass:

After their set I went to the merch table to talk to them and got my ticket signed, so I was probably not too far away from you, Gamefreac. I was wearing a PPUSA IX t-shirt.

For Dragonforce, I was by the back bar just to the right of the soundboard, hangin' with two members of the local Brazilian metal contingent who know me from WREKage. And who bought me a soda, so that's cool. :)
It was funny watching all the younger kids -- and there were a lot back there, at least a dozen, many with parents -- trying to watch the show over the much-taller crowd. The barricade behind the soundboard ended up being the place they flocked to, since it gave them the best unobstructed view of the stage. (Although there were some people up in the first balcony, it was officially not open...would have been nice for the kiddies if it had been...) Gotta say it was cool to see kids enjoying probably their first metal show. There's hope for the future.

I thought Dragonforce were pretty good. I had low expectations thanks in part to the Forum and while I'm sure they made a lot of mistakes, most of the crowd seemed to enjoy them and they played for 1:45 or so, more than acceptable for a headliner. (The last band I saw perform at the Tabernacle played for a whopping 65 minutes, there was no opening band, tickets cost $26 (though mine was free), and the crowd left happy. :yow: )

Me, I made Pac-man "waka-waka-waka" hand-motions whenever the guitarist and keytarist were chasing eachother around the stage and over the riser, to the amusement of the people there in the back. :heh:

I was able to stick around for their entire set plus encore, and then went outside, talking to some people (and freezing) out by the tour-bus, and then headed down to do WREKage. Played two DF songs and "Cursed Be Iron" by Turisas...I wish they'd had their other album at the merch table, or I'd have bought it and played it, too!

All in all, a fun night. Man, that was a tired drive home!

I had a good time as well.

I had to leave directly from work so I missed all of Powerglove (not sure if that's good or bad, and I'm still not sure after hearing about the show :)). Got inside a couple of songs into Turisas' set, which sucked because they were the band I was looking forward to the most. I was on stage-right not too far back from the handicapped section in front of the barricade.
I thought they were great. Although, as Gamefreac said, their show at Paganfest had a better audience response and it was my first time seeing them, too, so it remains my favorite. "To Holmgard And Beyond" was indeed epic. :kickass:

After their set I went to the merch table to talk to them and got my ticket signed, so I was probably not too far away from you, Gamefreac. I was wearing a PPUSA IX t-shirt.

That sucks you missed all of Powerglove and some of Turisas man.

Yeah I didn't see you (plus I have no idea what you look like lol) but I bought a shirt and that stupid security guy kept saying "hey man you gotta get on the wall if you're getting merch"

So I did....and I was in line and he said the same thing again. So I explained that I was already in line and he told me that already. So I'm a little pissed but after I get my shirt (actually good designs this time!) I went to get my tickets signed. I walked to the side to wait for my friends and guess what the security guy says..."are you getting merch or getting your ticket signed?"

I'm like are you serious dude? What a retard. I just ignored him and walked away. Haha :)

Fun night

LOL

I kinda wondered why they didn't just take over that little parlor room right next to the merch table for the signing...would have been a lot easier and more 'chill'.

I was probably right near you, then. What shirt were you wearing?

I was THE guy (and seemingly the only guy) wearing a ProgPower USA IX shirt. Outside after the show this otherwise-cool guy wearing a Dimmu Borgir shirt asked me, sounding disbelieving, if I liked "that stuff": Prog and power metal.
"Ummmmm......"
I was at a rare loss for words. :lol:

LOL

I kinda wondered why they didn't just take over that little parlor room right next to the merch table for the signing...would have been a lot easier and more 'chill'.

I was probably right near you, then. What shirt were you wearing?

I was THE guy (and seemingly the only guy) wearing a ProgPower USA IX shirt. Outside after the show this otherwise-cool guy wearing a Dimmu Borgir shirt asked me, sounding disbelieving, if I liked "that stuff": Prog and power metal.
"Ummmmm......"
I was at a rare loss for words. :lol:

Haha I know dude

I was wearing my Eluveitie shirt but I had my Kataklysm hoodie on the whole time.

Lmao...yeah that same guy (I think) saw my friends Bodom shirt and was like "finally bodom!" and my friend was just like..."yeah..."

:p