Dream Theater at Gods of Metal Festival

Abba

Nov 5, 2002
chicago
Visit site
I thought I'd drop a line while I've got a minute here in Essen, Germany. I just checked out the Gods of Metal Festival in Milan, Italy and didn't know if the below info had been posted or not yet.

Day One was lots of fun (except for some rain) and featured Motley Crue (huge surprise that Vince' voice sounded quite good), Velvet Revolver (boring as hell), Scorpions (excellent show), Thin Lizzy, White Lion, and others.

Day Two had beautiful weather and DGM (pretty impressive Italian prog metal), Anathema (amazing set including a great version of Floyd's Comfortably Numb), Symphony X (they ruled and the new tunes sounded very promising), Dark Tranquillity, Dimmu Borgir, Blind Guardian, and then...

Dream Theater were co-headlining with Heaven & Hell, and DT opened with Pull Me Under. Can't argue with that as an opening tune, I thought. Then Labrie said that 15 years ago a certain album came out, and a few select cities on the new tour would hear it in its entirety, and tonight would be one of them! Cool as hell hearing Images and Words start to finish, and several songs had extended parts. Best was the end of Surrounded when they went into a couple of minutes of the end of Marillion's Sugar Mice! As a huge fan of Fish-era Marillion, it was very fucking cool. After the Images album they returned to the stage for Home and As I Am. Excellent set!

Heaven & Hell were killer, although it was a bit disappointing as it was three songs shorter than the show in Chicago last month. Still a great way to end the festival.

Now for some sleep and then off to Sweden Rock...

Pat

You know, it almost happened this year. Mat and I were hoping that DT played Las Vegas again this tour. He was going to fly to Vegas from NY, and me from NM. We planned on hitting at least one CA show on the trip....renting a car and driving our crazy asses around CA. o_O But since there is no Vegas date this go round, we are only hitting east coast shows. So raincheck? :)