Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Follow the Reaper

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Tie

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
Hatebreeder for the actual songs, but FTR for the soundworld. I think I go for with HB as it's also pretty important album considering my guitar playing and overall musical "growth".

I envy people who don't need alcohol cos they always feel fun enough, but at least I don't need drugs cos I'm always doped.

Hmm, with my friends I have fun with or without alcohol, depends on what we are doing. Nothing beats total alcoholic intoxication in a dark house while listening to Katharsis :cool: Also, with alcohol it's more fun with women.

Also, with alcohol it's more fun with women.
I need to highligh that you also need to use the alcohol yourself, cause being sober with a totally wasted chick is the most hellish situation in which a man can be. I still gotta admit that it's damn fun to watch woman making a total idiot of herself while being drunk. For example one friend of mine gets sometimes uncontrollable bursts of laugh that can last for minutes. It's damn scary but it's also fun as hell. When this happened the first time, I learned instantly that I stay the hell away from her while she's drunk and I'm sober.

Suddenly demi.fi

Its almost too close to call for me, but if I had to pick one I would choose FTR because it was the first bodom album I got and it got me interested in heavier metal and made me want to practice guitar more! Also IMO the solos and keyboards are a little more flashy on FTR and I like that.

They're definitely both epic albums and a tough contest, both have a different energy, but for me the sheer atmosphere in FTR takes the win and the fact it was the album that got me into it so it's more personal.

I'd love to see a thorough interview made with Alexi about the transition between the first albums and especially the transition from FTR to HCDR, what were the reasons behind it, what happened, was it more just accidental, what was going on in his head those days...

The sad thing I do remember reading after recording FTR the band was left with a feeling "is this really what we were supposed to do." And the single for Hate Me which was recorded in another studio I think really was more in the heavier soundworld like today.

I got the feeling sometimes they set extra emphasis and a perfect soundworld in the studio before the recording session for the best song(s) of the album and use it for everything else too. For FTR it would be Everytime I Die (also only song they didn't touch when doing the 2nd mix with Karmila), for AYDY possibly In Your Face, for Hatebreeder the first couple tracks, etc, - and it does not necessarily fit some of the other songs in the best way possible - but this is something that's never been clarified either.

But whether or not the soundworld in FTR was an "accident", fans seem to love it because it's just so atmospheric.

Hatebreeder, I find Alexi's playing is best on that album. The first half of the solo for Warheart still gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

FTR, was, is and will be my favourite. I love every single song of it. The style and sound of the album is somehow distinct and clear, but on the other hand still atmospheric as fuck just like Joonas said. Hatebreeder is "rougher" and still bears parts of the SW-rawness, which is not a bad thing but personally I prefer the smoothness of FTR.

i don't think you can really pick between Follow The Reaper or Hatebreeder. Both of them had pretty unique styles, and sounds. Follow the Reaper had classics like the self titled song, Bodom After Midnight, and Hatebreeder had classic songs like Children of Bodom, Warheart, Silent Night Bodom Night. And for a larger point, I don't think you can really pick the "best album" because all of their albums are unique. I love all of their works.

Personally as a Musician myself (Shred/Metal/Neo-Classical Guitarist of 17+ years), I would lean towards "Reaper" on the merits of it's technicality and musicianship, The arranging and progressive elements throughout that entire album is bar none. The Key and Time signature changes, the lead fills which play off the riffing and interludes... All excellent. The overal playing and attack of both Alexi and Janne is remarkable. Alexi's scalar elements, alternate runs, and full 6 string stacked triad arpeggio sweeps are all both articulate and innovative, not to mention technically overall some of the most fluent soloing of all the COB records. The interplay between Alexi and Janne during the trade off solos at the end and coda of "Kissing The Shadows" shows both of them at their remarkable best. And on top of all this technicality we have great melodic elements and very memorable songs. The hallmark of truly virtuosic and skilled 'shred' musicians is one who can take all the technical elements to the absolute threshold of insanity and yet still retain awesome melody and emotion. Both incredible albums, however my vote goes to "Reaper" on the above merits.

Personally as a Musician myself (Shred/Metal/Neo-Classical Guitarist of 17+ years), I would lean towards "Reaper" on the merits of it's technicality and musicianship, The arranging and progressive elements throughout that entire album is bar none. The Key and Time signature changes, the lead fills which play off the riffing and interludes... All excellent. The overal playing and attack of both Alexi and Janne is remarkable. Alexi's scalar elements, alternate runs, and full 6 string stacked triad arpeggio sweeps are all both articulate and innovative, not to mention technically overall some of the most fluent soloing of all the COB records. The interplay between Alexi and Janne during the trade off solos at the end and coda of "Kissing The Shadows" shows both of them at their remarkable best. And on top of all this technicality we have great melodic elements and very memorable songs. The hallmark of truly virtuosic and skilled 'shred' musicians is one who can take all the technical elements to the absolute threshold of insanity and yet still retain awesome melody and emotion. Both incredible albums, however my vote goes to "Reaper" on the above merits.

I like this kind of first posts, welcome to the forum. :cool:

Follow The Reaper is the perfect blend of melodic death metal and their current thrash bullshit. I dislike their new stuff but their first 4 albums are instant classic. Can't go wrong with any of them but Follow The Reaper is their best work to date, though Hatebreeder is much more heavier thats about it.