Headliner Feedback Request

I think it would be much cooler to take a bit of a gamble, rather than a repeat headliner or band most of us have seen (i.e. Iced Earth). This would be an excellent opportunity to invite Enchant, as they would be a worthy headliner and it seems MANY people on this forum would give this a big thumbs up.

If you're going to take a safer / repeat path, Gamma Ray would be the band to blow the roof off of the Earthlink! They're a powerful, energetic live band with a killer recent album, plus as far as I know, they're not doing too many U.S. dates -including no Chicago show ?!?

Pat

Harvester said:
d. I could gamble and go after someone that doesn't fit any of the above options. The problem is that it is riskier from a financial standpoint because let's face it, I have already booked the sure things.

I've already replied, but after doing so wanted to make sure my assumptions about (d) are correct.

My assumption is that by (d) you mean riskier in the sense that a band might not fit the usual "ProgPower Paragigm" (PPP?) - such as a more prog rock band like Enchant or Saga, or riskier in the sense that they're an unproven quantity with respect to performance, like a one-off reunion of a split band or resurrection of an idle band or some mix of musicians who are usually not mixed together.

I'm guessing that (d) doesn't entail a band being financially riskier in the
sense that they're just more expensive to get here, because you face that consideration all the time, regardless of whether it's last minute or not.

Ken

Glenn -

You have said many times that this year was going to be the hardest year yet to book, and it seems that it's just gotten harder. I don't envy your position.

That being said, I would think that your replacement headliner should be one that draws as well as Nevermore would. When it comes right down to it, *any* of the bands you outlined above would draw as well as Nevermore. Sure there will be some people that say "I love Nevermore, but hate band X", but there will be just as many saying the opposite, I may be one of them :)

It doesn't seem like it's in your best interest to go after a "gamble", this is a business and you need to have a solid band that will bring poeple in to the festival.

A question I have - how much does one headliner influence the ticket sales to the festival? I personally have only been really excited about one headliner in the history of the festival and they stunk once I saw them.

I think with the solid line up for the other nine bands as long as the last band is "headliner" quality there won't be any problems. I think for the financial health of the festival, a safe choice would be best. If it doesn't make sell-out time records this year, but still sells out, I would think you made the best decision.

From my personal standpoint, I'd love to see a previous number three or four band that was great get the opportunity to headline. But I think that's because in the past, it's been the 2-4 slots that interest me the most. Supposedly Crimson Glory is going to play Euro fests, they'd be a great one as well. So would a John Arch set. Other than those two, I can't think of any 80s/90s reunions that would be headliner worthy. Honestly, would a reunion band draw more than Symphony X? Would they be cheaper?

So, bottom line, I'd say the safe route makes the most sense... i.e. the cheapest "headliner" quality band, that you know has and will draw fans.

Oh, and please no more Angra ;)

Glenn,

Like some people have been saying, as much as I love SX, seeing them once again (it would be like the 5th or 6th time) wouldn't be as exciting. In fact, I think a lot of people are already expecting SX as a replacement. The surprise factor and the excitement factor (for seeing someone you dont see everyday) are not gonna work in this case, at least for me.

I would love to see a repeat band (like you mentioned on A) as long as they are a band that deserves a headlining spot. And PLEASE, by no means book a band for a lower spot and bump Epica up to headlining spot.

If you go on B, it may be a pretty interesting idea, but not for everyone (although the possibility of seeing Iced Earth gets me quite excited). Classic 80's or 90's band... hmmm... depending on who you're thinking of...

I think C may be a little riskier, afterall you still don't know who's touring the US around september. Or you do? (hint Glenn...lol)

D may be the most interesting idea, although the one that offers the most risk. I can sure think of many bands that do not fit the above criteria, but obviously can't name them. And some of them would have a good feedback here at the festival.

Good luck with it Glenn, I hope everything turns out well and you pick a great headliner!

no time to elaborate, but here are my choices in order of preference:

B, C, A, D.

Thanks for asking. I know you'll do well no matter which route you take. I'm attending regardless.

PPUSA = :worship:

Gosh where to start, Glenn my friend, It's your money you are gambling with, enough said on that. You have managed in the past to bring together the greatest show on earth, by sometimes taking a gamble. In my humble opinion and remember this is my opinion only. This is my first PP so any band there is not a repeat for me, but that is not fair to all the others, and i would be happy with anyone you choose.

I would say in all honesty, as a business man myself, it is always easy to take the safe route ie; EDGUY or SYMX or someone on tour?or has toured around that time ie: GAMMA RAY or SONATA ARCTICA, but for business to grow you sometimes have to lay it on the line and take a gamble, ie: TAROT or PRETTY MAIDS who i think would be awesome and draw tons of support.

But it's about the bottom line in the end and how it effects your wallet.

Harvester said:
a. I could go the safe route and book a repeat headliner that has gone over extremely well in the past. It would be a safer route for me despite the sure bitching over it not being someone new. Obviously, I'm a refering to bands like Symphony X, Kamelot, Brainstorm, Tage (in some form), etc.
Definitely the safe option. I would say use this one if all the others fail. These bands are reliable, and generally crowd pleasers. I could see them a million times, but I think they're best saved as a last resort or until a tenth anniversary extravaganza show of some sort. :)

b. I could go after a band that will have done some shows (some this year) in the States prior to the festival. The "special" feel will be gone, but people will know what they are getting. I refer to bands like Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, or a classic band from the 80's/90's.
I'd head the classic route here. The Dio idea would have been cool. I think a classic band would still have some "specialness," and would showcase the evolution of our genres.

c. I could go after a true headliner that will be touring the States this fall around the festival. It would be similar to the Stratovarius/Therion situation last fall. I cannot name anyone obviously.
As others have said, only if they're doing a few shows on said tour. While I'd personally go for anyone (it's like the South doesn't exist on their tour maps), several people can just as easily stay home to see some of these tours.

d. I could gamble and go after someone that doesn't fit any of the above options. The problem is that it is riskier from a financial standpoint because let's face it, I have already booked the sure things.
The clear first choice, in my opinion. You've never ceased to amaze with this fest, so why stop now? :)

--Mike

I'm with Zod and Lady Space, Yippee and I have already bought our badges. I'm so excited about so many of the bands on the roster already, any band could get the headliner spot and it would be fine with us.

I think any of the options you listed would be super, but it sounds like the masses are loving b or c :)

Harvester said:
a. I could go the safe route and book a repeat headliner that has gone over extremely well in the past. It would be a safer route for me despite the sure bitching over it not being someone new. Obviously, I'm a refering to bands like Symphony X, Kamelot, Brainstorm, Tage (in some form), etc.

b. I could go after a band that will have done some shows (some this year) in the States prior to the festival. The "special" feel will be gone, but people will know what they are getting. I refer to bands like Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, or a classic band from the 80's/90's.

c. I could go after a true headliner that will be touring the States this fall around the festival. It would be similar to the Stratovarius/Therion situation last fall. I cannot name anyone obviously.

Glenn H.

Given this stage of the game and the amount of work you've already put into it, I say skip Option D. Too much risk. Too much work.

I love the "safe route" band choices, but one of the things I enjoy about ProgPowerUSA is being introduced to bands I haven't seen before. So I omit Option A.

My vote is for Options B and C. Between the two, I lean toward Option B and seeing a band like Sonata Arctica because I haven't seen them before. But an Option C "true headliner" would be exciting, too, depending on who it is.

Bill

woosta said:
Well, I don't need to offer a nomination because you KNOW where I stand on the matter of "my" band! Your show has always been about the "gamble" even though it's clear and evident that you aren't "gambling" anymore because you're selling the thing..FAST. That being said, I'd suggest to go with someone new to the show and not play it safe. You think you're gonna be left with tix at this point? I think not, my friend. You've already sold it for this year and the only thing left is "how fast".

That being said, you are going to have some negative feedback if you don't pick someone very established because the Nevermore faction around here is very vocal. Fuck them (with all due respect). Do what you set out to do in the beginning and that would appear to be to offer us the bands that we don't have the chance to see. The DIO idea, although it didn't happen, seemed to go over well. So I see this lot as asking for an established band with a nice catalog, a classic aspect to their career, and one that people are familiar with. Now Glenn, you'll have to be PRETTY aware of those types of bands. They are PRETTY rare. And you'll have to act PRETTY quickly to find such a band or you'll be left looking like an old MAID. Know what I mean? :)

Your thoughts on the Nevermore fanboys are dead on.
Your subliminal Pretty Maid pick is dead on.
The insinuation that l've made in this message that you rock is again... dead on

Harvester said:

Choice B

I like this route the best. And I think this would be best for your interest as well. Obviously they do well in the states to have actually toured there, so you wouldn't be sacrificing ticket sales, -and- you appeal to PP commoners who prefer less repeats

Glenn, sorry you are going thru this. Hopefully this does not take the fun out of this. Ya gotta have fun at your own festival right? That said, Scott and I bought our GB's long before ya announced...and we'll continue to do so. We do this knowing that we may not know about or have heard of or even LIKE every band on the roster, BUT we'll see some good performances (too many to list here) and we'll have our ears and minds opened to new bands. My guess is that you have gone with your gut for a large portion of the Life of ProgPower 1-7...and you'll keep going wit hyour gut.

A is a safe bet..a sure thing. Everyone likes to play it safe right? But you danced on the edge when you had the dream of putting this together and look how far it's come.

I believe the wise Matt Crooks said...take someone that has played before but not as headliner and put them there. I know several bands that played in other positions who could probably hold their own in a headliner spot. Most folks here...the repeat attenders AND new folks trying to get a ticket are going to back you and keep coming as long as you thro ProgPower each year. You have not had a bad line up ever. The onyl time you could EVER have a perfect line up is if you threw an individual concert for each and every fan. Not gonna happen. So go with your gut. Keep taking Chances, book bands that are not mainstream, or huge-big or proven headliners...give them a chance and we'll keep buying tickets.

Coldie...aka Crash

I was determined to go to the show once I found out about Freak Kitchen. I can understand that people want to see Nevermore perform, but to say that they are the ONLY reason to come to the show is silly. There are many other quality bands that you have already booked to draw a good metal fan. Even though Nevermore is not coming I am absolutely sure the event would sell out again, like it has year after year.

Personally I would like to see choice D, but whatever decision you make will be more than fine with me and everyone else who has already planned on coming to the show. I trust your judgment and any band you decide on will rock.

well glenn, i think they first two, A and B are the best. i think not only would they fit the best, but also are well deserved bands. especially the mention of iced earth, that, i think, is a wonderful idea! sonata and gamma ray would too be awesome. now, i love gamma ray, but out of the 3 bands you directly referred to with the 2nd option, gamma ray has played PP already, so i would tend to lean towards the bands you are thinking of that haven't yet.

as for returning bands, thatd be awesome. SX, Kamelot, BS, and Tage are all brilliant bands and would make for an awesome headliner.

im not sure about 3rd option, i really can't give any helpfull feedback on that.

as for the last one, well id rather not take that risk, as there are plenty of awesome potential headliners in the first 2.

//greg

Glenn, a quick question??? If you decided to go with option D, and the band selected, and signed was not not on anyone's sponsorship list, would you consider asking one or more sponsors if they would be willing to shift to this band to help defray some of the expenses? Just a question that popped up, if it is off base then i understand.

john

Position a): I'll bitch if you don't get someone new. (Just kidding. But this is my least favorite option of the four, considering that we have two returning bands already.) Be advised that if you were to get Jag Panzer, Brainstorm or Tad Morose (with whatever new singer they get), then I'll change my mind and make this my favorite option. :)

Position b): This is a safe option, perhaps not as easy to pull off (especially if it's not an American band), but worth a shot. Plus, it's not like many of us would have seen them this year, if they're only playing a few shows. I like this option the second best.

Position c): This would be the most likely to get you the biggest possible headliner band... the only downside for me, personally, is that it probably wouldn't be a band I was too interested in seeing. Third best option.

Position d): I like this one best of all. You don't need a huge headliner; I don't think anyone can deny that you're going to sell the fest out this year, just like every year, and this would be another fun experiment in an already experimental lineup. This is the best option IMO, but probably the biggest headache for you, stress-wise. However, you could always go against what you said earlier, bump another band up to headliner status, and add a smaller band to the lineup, if you wanted to. It's your show. ;)

Glenn,

I would prefer b, c, or d. But knowing the way you can pick bands, I wouldn't mind you trying d.

I love SX, Kamelot, and Olivia, but I would prefer someone new.