Headliner Suggestions (not a wish list!)

Kimavir

Metal Hippy
Nov 13, 2003
Discussion on the Headliners Prediction thread started me thinking. I don't buy the fact that we're running out of headliners. All I see suggested are the same old bands: Rhapsody, Helloween, and then it degenerates into crazy things like Ayreon, Avantasia, and reunions of past line ups. I think there are many more bands out there that could headline. In addition, there are many ways to keep older headliners fresh (like the last Evergrey set, that was a once in a life time thing). So throw some less talked about suggests at this thread, and maybe the more industry-savy people can shine their lights on the suggestions. [Note: this isn't necessarily for the coming ProgPower, but future ones as well.]

1. ARK:I
I think if they found a vocalist and finished their album, then they could easily, easily headline this PP.

2. Brainstorm:
Glenn himself mentioned these guys, and I agree with that assessment. If the band can co-headline with Evergrey in the EU, then they can headline here too.

3. Agalloch:
I haven't seen them mentioned on this forum at all. I think they'd fit the festival, and any band I hear on the local college radio has to be big enough to headline.

4. Freak Kitchen:
After their last two performances at the festival, I think they could easily headline in a couple years.

5. Opeth:
Maybe it's just me, but I think their profile has been dropping recently. I think PP could handle them now, and that they'd love the boost.

6. Porcupine Tree:
If Riverside can be 4th spot, then PT is an obvious choice for a future headliner.

7. Pagan's Mind:
This is another band that I see emerging. I don't think they'll be anything less than a headliner next time we see them.

8. Crimson Glory:
I think with a reunion in the talking stage that we need to keep an eye on these guys.

9. Warrel Dane?:
This is more of a stretch, but if his up coming solo album is good, then I think he could handle the job. If Jorn (whose best work is easily with his previous bands) can headline solo, then I think Warrel could. Throw a few Nevermore songs in the mix, and you've satisfied that NM itch that PP just can't seem to scratch.

10. Orphaned Land:
This is another one that I see happening in a few years. If ORwarriOR meets our expectations, then I see a bright future for them.

11. Circle II Circle:
This band has grown significantly since their last PP appearance. I think they're almost big enough to headline.

Alright, that's all I've got for now. I haven't even hit on the "special sets" side of the possibilities yet. I'm curious to hear other ideas and see what people with more experience think about everyone's ideas. Pick my ideas right apart, but notice I haven't said much about how I like these bands. This isn't another wish list thread. We're discussing fanbase size, drawing power, recent activity, and other official-sounding buzzwords I'd never actually presume to use.

Warrel is about to release his FIRST solo album, so I don't think him headlining is a real possibility. Maybe if it were Nevermore or Sanctuary...

As for Opeth's decreasing profile, as you put it...they have been writing and recording a new album. Most bands drop off the radar for a bit while they do that, but when they hit the road with Dream Theater in the spring they'll have more fans there than before, not less.

I'm with you on Orphaned Land and Circle II Circle :)

Manowar put on one of the best shows I have ever seen in a small club in Winston-Salem a few years back. I'd love to see what they could do in a larger venue.

Well we should come back to reality a little here.

ARK is history, I guess you haven't read all the interviews from all parties involved. Even though Jorn is speaking with Tore, the rest of the guys will never play in that band again and thus it wouldn't be ARK. I even spoke to a few members of the band about this and if it ever happens I will eat crow.

The only true headliners you have on your list in my opinion is Opeth and Porcupine Tree and they tour to much that Glenn would put them on a Prog Power lineup that and they would probably want to much money.

The rest of your list has some great bands a few that are my favorites but no headliners among them.

Bear

I like a lot of these bands, but I don't think they're big enough to headline at all.

3. Agalloch:
I haven't seen them mentioned on this forum at all. I think they'd fit the festival, and any band I hear on the local college radio has to be big enough to headline.
I fucking love this band. No two ways around it. Do they fit the festival? Not at all. They'd be more suited for Heathen Crusade. Also, with your logic, Kiuas, Dark Empire, Sabaton, and Storm Warrior are all big enough to headline ProgPower based on the college radio shows in this area.

5. Opeth:
Maybe it's just me, but I think their profile has been dropping recently. I think PP could handle them now, and that they'd love the boost.
Great band, but way too expensive, especially since they're on a major label.

6. Porcupine Tree:
If Riverside can be 4th spot, then PT is an obvious choice for a future headliner.
Same situation as Opeth.

9. Warrel Dane?:
This is more of a stretch, but if his up coming solo album is good, then I think he could handle the job. If Jorn (whose best work is easily with his previous bands) can headline solo, then I think Warrel could. Throw a few Nevermore songs in the mix, and you've satisfied that NM itch that PP just can't seem to scratch.
I just don't see him being a big enough draw. A lot of Nevermore fans are just as attracted to Loomis's playing as they are to Warrel's vocals, and Jeff obviously wouldn't be there.

11. Circle II Circle:
This band has grown significantly since their last PP appearance. I think they're almost big enough to headline.
I know huge Savatage fans who are only somewhat into the prog/power genre (they're into BG, Rhapsody, Iced Earth, etc, but really only the tip of the iceberg) who hadn't heard of CIIC until I told them about the band. They really don't have the same level of recognition as any of the past headliners. In an album or two, possibly, but right now I'd say they're a 4 spot at best.

Well we should come back to reality a little here.

The only true headliners you have on your list in my opinion is Opeth and Porcupine Tree and they tour to much that Glenn would put them on a Prog Power lineup that and they would probably want to much money.

Bear
I agree .. Opeth and Porcupine Tree are the only headliner types on that list, and neither is a good fit for the festival.

Brainstorm isn't a band I would consider headliner worthy either, but for Prog Power they might be .. although it's a stretch.

Britt

As for Opeth's decreasing profile, as you put it...they have been writing and recording a new album. Most bands drop off the radar for a bit while they do that, but when they hit the road with Dream Theater in the spring they'll have more fans there than before, not less.

I forgot about that tour. Oh well...

Manowar put on one of the best shows I have ever seen in a small club in Winston-Salem a few years back. I'd love to see what they could do in a larger venue.

Good suggestion, that's another headliner PP hasn't tapped.

ARK is history, I guess you haven't read all the interviews from all parties involved.

You're right, I haven't read everything about that. I was still operating under the old "we have an album but no singer" news. That's why I asked everyone to be brutal.

I think "tours too much" is a bad excuse. We've about to have year 10 of PP. Many of our old headliners now tour often (Nightwish, I'm looking at you!). I think in future, PP is going to have to open up to bands that tour here more for headlining spots. This year we get TWELVE BANDS. So what if the two headliners tour here often, there are 10 others that don't.

I know huge Savatage fans who are only somewhat into the prog/power genre (they're into BG, Rhapsody, Iced Earth, etc, but really only the tip of the iceberg) who hadn't heard of CIIC until I told them about the band.

They were about to headline a US tour, playing the same kinds of places Symphony X/Nightwish/Blind Guardian play when they tour. Besides, only a hand full of past PP headliners count as the tip of the iceberg. I think NEXT album they'll be big enough.

1. ARK: - not a headliner.

3. Agalloch - they'll never play PP, and certainly not as a headliner.

4. Freak Kitchen - Glenn has a return policy that would prohibit this

5. Opeth - their profile has only gone up. Too big for PP.

6. Porcupine Tree - PT is a Rock band. I doubt they'd ever play PP.

7. Pagan's Mind - see FK.

8. Crimson Glory - Glenn would have to be half nuts to put his financial well being in the stability of Midnight-based line-up.

9. Warrel Dane - I doubt Warrell plans to tour on his solo material.

10. Orphaned Land - they haven't done anything new since playing here last.

11. Circle II Circle - what are you basing their growth on? Ticket sales? Soundscan?

Zod

NIGHTWISH would be a great headliner if not for the fact that they are doing two more US tours in 2008 one in May and another Aug and Sept.

CIRCUS MAXIMUS - again would be an awesome headliner, but they need to have another album out for that to happen.

GAMMA RAY - Awesome

HELLOWEEN - same as GAMMA RAY

ICED EARTH - whoaaaaaaaa nelley

SHADOW GALLERY - if and when they decide to do a live show

TAROT - longevity and allot of crowd appeal

ARYEON - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

AVANTASIA - again $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

SYMPHONY X - see NIGHTWISH above but it would be a great choice

1. ARK: - not a headliner.

8. Crimson Glory - Glenn would have to be half nuts to put his financial well being in the stability of Midnight-based line-up.

Zod

Crimson Glory played our Bay Ara Rock Fest earlier this year as a co headliner with Wade on vox and I will tell you right now that they are one of the best live bands in this genre that I have ever seen. They were tight , meticulous and awe inspiring even with a few egos. They would be perfect for a co headline or 4th or 5th spot depending on the lineup. I just do not see that as a true headliner and Drenning needs to get off his ass and make a decision on what the hell CG is going to do before its to late. Because they were AWESOME!!!!!

Bear

Crimson Glory played our Bay Ara Rock Fest earlier this year as a co headliner with Wade on vox and I will tell you right now that they are one of the best live bands in this genre that I have ever seen. They were tight , meticulous and awe inspiring even with a few egos. They would be perfect for a co headline or 4th or 5th spot depending on the lineup. I just do not see that as a true headliner and Drenning needs to get off his ass and make a decision on what the hell CG is going to do before its to late. Because they were AWESOME!!!!!
Bear... not clear... are you saying you think CG could be a headliner without Midnight?

Zod

The rest of your list has some great bands a few that are my favorites but no headliners among them.
Bear

I think I need to clarify my intentions. Many of these suggestions aren't intended to sell the tickets themselves. I think a lot of people on this forum miss judge the size you have to be to headline this festival. The first year Angra headlined, I don't think they did much for the sales. Blind fucking Guardian sold that show out. Edguy doesn't match the draw of other headliners, but they (unlike Iraq) had WMDs. Shoot, I don't think Jorn was a big enough deal to headline.

I'm just saying, Brainstorm/Iced Earth will sell out just like SavatageReunion#8/Ayreon would.

3. Agalloch - they'll never play PP, and certainly not as a headliner.

Guess I just thought they were Prog enough. Trying to mix it up a little.

4. Freak Kitchen - Glenn has a return policy that would prohibit this
7. Pagan's Mind - see FK.

Not this year...

5. Opeth - their profile has only gone up. Too big for PP.

Alright, alright, point conceded.

6. Porcupine Tree - PT is a Rock band. I doubt they'd ever play PP.

I think the draw is there, but I'm certainly not an expert.

10. Orphaned Land - they haven't done anything new since playing here last.

They've been playing a lot of festivals over seas and are recording a new album. It might take them two more albums to be headliner quality, but you can't deny that the talent and the potential are there for the future.

11. Circle II Circle - what are you basing their growth on? Ticket sales? Soundscan?

Mostly hearsay, actually. I see them headlining some hefty tours after every album, then (attempting) to make the jump to the US market. You've got to have some size and some balls to try coming over here.

CIRCUS MAXIMUS
HELLOWEEN
ICED EARTH
SHADOW GALLERY - if and when they decide to do a live show
TAROT - longevity and allot of crowd appeal

Those are all great ideas for realistic fresh meat headliners. I think Circus Maximus will be a while off. I see them at a 3 or 4 spot next time they come around. However, the potential is there. Especially if this US tour doesn't kill them.

I like a lot of these bands, but I don't think they're big enough to headline at all.

I know huge Savatage fans who are only somewhat into the prog/power genre (they're into BG, Rhapsody, Iced Earth, etc, but really only the tip of the iceberg) who hadn't heard of CIIC until I told them about the band. They really don't have the same level of recognition as any of the past headliners. In an album or two, possibly, but right now I'd say they're a 4 spot at best.

Point taken but have you to been to a progpower show when Zak was on the stage? It's packed with standing room only. The only reason I might pick them now would be the change in tour plans.:headbang:

I hadn't even thought about Manowar and Tarot. Those are tight ideas.

Royal Hunt's probably big enough too, right?

Feels like Fates Warning is now SMALL enough, lol.

What about Into Eternity? If they keep doing such major US tours, then I see them being a big enough deal to come back and head line in a couple years.

Just putting my thinking cap on.

These discussions remind of Goldilocks and the three bears.

This band is too big to headline! This band is too small! This one is jusssssssssssst right....

Bear... not clear... are you saying you think CG could be a headliner without Midnight?

Zod

No, I think they are a better band without Midnight now and still not a full headliner. I mean the reality of that is, they haven't put out an album since 1999, no way would they ever headline a festival.

Bear