Headliner Suggestions (not a wish list!)

Zod Panzer is one of the greatest power/trad metal bands ever produced on US shores. Ample Destruction is one of the top 5 us power metal releases ever. Casting the Stones was excellent. I know they are preety much MIA as far as right now. But if you had them actually making CDs and getting the promotion that 3IOB where getting they would see more. Wouldnt they?

Zod Panzer is one of the greatest power/trad metal bands ever produced on US shores. Ample Destruction is one of the top 5 us power metal releases ever. Casting the Stones was excellent. I know they are preety much MIA as far as right now. But if you had them actually making CDs and getting the promotion that 3IOB where getting they would see more. Wouldnt they?

The point is that they aren't, not that they couldn't.

I think "tours too much" is a bad excuse. We've about to have year 10 of PP. Many of our old headliners now tour often (Nightwish, I'm looking at you!). I think in future, PP is going to have to open up to bands that tour here more for headlining spots. This year we get TWELVE BANDS. So what if the two headliners tour here often, there are 10 others that don't.

True, but Nightwish didn't start touring the US often until after their PP appearance. I wouldn't be surprised if they never play the festival again.

They were about to headline a US tour, playing the same kinds of places Symphony X/Nightwish/Blind Guardian play when they tour. Besides, only a hand full of past PP headliners count as the tip of the iceberg. I think NEXT album they'll be big enough.

I guess I underestimated the size of that tour, since at least on the Atlanta stop, they're playing a venue that only has local bands and not any of the venues in the area where the "national" bands play. The places where I've seen Symphony X, Nightwish, and Blind Guardian are twice the size of where the CIIC show was scheduled for.

I hadn't even thought about Manowar and Tarot. Those are tight ideas.

Royal Hunt's probably big enough too, right?

Feels like Fates Warning is now SMALL enough, lol.

What about Into Eternity? If they keep doing such major US tours, then I see them being a big enough deal to come back and head line in a couple years.

Just putting my thinking cap on.

Royal Hunt might be big enough, but they have a bad reputation for backing out of big shows at the last minute. I'm not sure anybody would be willing to have their festival headliner back out two hours before the show starts.

I could definitely see Fates Warning in a headliner slot.

Into Eternity, not so much. They wouldn't have the drawing power at all, and that's the main purpose of a headliner.

I love reading threads like this. I find myself thinking:

*I agree 100% with that assessment.
*I see your point, but I would debate it.
*You gotta be fucking kidding me.

1. ARK: - not a headliner.

3. Agalloch - they'll never play PP, and certainly not as a headliner.

4. Freak Kitchen - Glenn has a return policy that would prohibit this

5. Opeth - their profile has only gone up. Too big for PP.

6. Porcupine Tree - PT is a Rock band. I doubt they'd ever play PP.

7. Pagan's Mind - see FK.

8. Crimson Glory - Glenn would have to be half nuts to put his financial well being in the stability of Midnight-based line-up.

9. Warrel Dane - I doubt Warrell plans to tour on his solo material.

10. Orphaned Land - they haven't done anything new since playing here last.

11. Circle II Circle - what are you basing their growth on? Ticket sales? Soundscan?

Zod

If Glenn has a supposed policy of NOT having the same bands play the fest twice, then why have so many done just the opposite? Zero Hour, Sym X, EverGrey, etc.??:err:

Manowar put on one of the best shows I have ever seen in a small club in Winston-Salem a few years back. I'd love to see what they could do in a larger venue.

No offense, but if they headline, I would not go. I think they are the cheesiest band ever!:lol:

I disagree. I'd like to see them play ProgPower, but I don't view them as a headliner. Their opening week sales for the last disc, were 334 CDs sold. By way of comparison, 3 Inches of Blood moved 1,035 in that same week (and that was their debut).

Zod

They are headlining Keep it True though.

I love reading threads like this. I find myself thinking:

*I agree 100% with that assessment.
*I see your point, but I would debate it.
*You gotta be fucking kidding me.

Shed some light. That was one of my main intentions. I know I'm pretty ignorant about the behind the scenes things, and I thought it would be cool to discuss some of those things without all the "this band RAWKS i want them to play both nights MEEETTTAALL!" comments.

I just get worried when I read threads where you say you're running out of headliners. Trying to figure out why.

They are headlining Keep it True though.

Yes, in Germany (and I'll be at that show:kickass:). In the US, however, they're a mid tier band.

The thing with all of these suggestions is that the how many albums a band has out, or their status in the underground, or their status in Europe has very little to do with how succesful they would be as a PPUSA headliner.

The main criteria for being a headliner is the ability to put asses in the seats.

Jag Panzer? The last time they played a headlining set here, I saw them play to under 50 people. Sure they've got a lot of great albums, and a great history, but few people in the US care about them.

Manowar? They cetainly have a devoted fan base, but it's not huge. Yeah, they're bigger in Europe, but here, they just don't draw well.

Crimson Glory? Well, they've got the history for sure.... and 8 years (and counting) since their last disc. Even with a sober Midnight, I can't see them being any bigger than Conception - and they only got a direct support slot.

ARK? Let's just say the singer is not the issue there ;) With only two albums out, they're a #4 slot (ala, Conception) at best.

Tarot's starting to get a little bit of notoriety. If the 12-band formula sticks, maybe they could play ProgPower X as a 4 or 5 slot? I don't think they'll be headliner-status by then either, but they're getting there. If I read right, that'll be after Nightwish stops touring for Dark Passion Play, too (If I read right, they're ending either at the end of 08 or beginning/mid of 09) - Marco would be free.

Morgana Lefay is still a band I think could be very possible. It's understandable that they don't have the "exclusive" factor anymore since they've already headlined Chicago Powerfest twice, but those have been their only 2 U.S. dates since Symphony of the Damned came out in 1990. If they put on as good of a show as I hear they do, then I doubt that'll stop fans from coming. I don't know if they're "PPUSA headliner" in Glenn's books, but they're definitely a band I can see as possibly rocking that headlining spot next year.

YThe thing with all of these suggestions is that the how many albums a band has out, or their status in the underground, or their status in Europe has very little to do with how succesful they would be as a PPUSA headliner.

I disagree to an extent. One thing PP has always done is appeal to those in the US who are more attracted to European metal bands. The festival is perfect for a band like Manowar, or whoever. I might not make the 6 hour drive to St. Louis or Dallas for a Manowar tour, but I'm sure as hell driving all 12 hours for PP. Besides, I meet several people at PP every year who have traveled halfway around the world just for this show.

I'd love to be able to do so. However, I have to walk the political mindfield for the most part. :ill:

Didn't think about that. I guess I'd rather be in the dark then have you offend a potential 4th spot by saying they'll never headline.