"Heavy" power metal: A dying breed....

True, but since Inmoria = Morgana Lefay + Tad Morose, this would be part of the "inbreeding" Glenn is referring to. So would Fool's Game, but that's just because Matt Crooks is in the band. :lol:

No mention of Biomechanical? Chaoswave? Does Kiuas count?

I'd also love to hear about some newer dark power metal bands, as this stuff is my bread and butter.

Biomechanical is definitely awesome.

Also, I should mention here that the new Antithesis has some massive kick-in-the-ballage, with far better vocals than they've ever had. I don't know if it would be considered "power" though... maybe "power-prog"... but very heavy. And they're certainly not a "new" band, but it's only their third album. ;)

you pretty much missed the only ever Pharoh live show my freind. They played Keep It True Fest and the Alehorn of Power fest in Chicago 2 years ago and one other show only. They are pretty much a studio band and dont play shows. Also the members are scattered all over the country. One of the guys Chris who is the drummer and sometimes live bass player has High Spirits ( best chicago band ) and Superchrist plus a few other bands too to keep him busy and last I heard from him it would be years before another live show. I got to see them. great live band.

Edit.....I see you were talking about Wolf. I would really like to see them live.

I like both. I'm pretty unfamiliar with Pharoh though. I did know about that show a while back and was debating, but it was one of those things where I was pretty much unfamiliar with most of those bands. Had no clue they were pretty much exclusively a studio band though.

WOLF may not be what Glenn's looking for in a 'HEAVY' Power Metal band, but they have my vote for being a strong next generation traditional/power metal act. :(

Wolf is probably not what Glenn was looking for, but talk about a band with a big cult following from the "classic" metal crowd. Wolf is a really good band.

Having said all of that...... the lines are always really blurred between the various subgenres of metal, but I think the line gets really thin when trying to define what is dark power-metal and what is heavy traditional metal. I have always labeled the darker power metal bands as "American style power metal" though that may not be fair to the mostly European bands that incorporate the style, since early American power metal bands probably got the idea from bands like Accept and Iron Maiden in the first place. :err:
I don't really remember the point I was going to make at the end, but being a fan of oldschool metal, I really miss bands like Angel Dust and Breed era Tad Morose because they represented a modernized approach to the early power metal style. The guitars didn't get watered down too much with keys and there was enough throw you in your seat power mixed with melody there to make a great listening experience. Metal tends to be pretty cyclic though and I am sure there will be a wave of new "American style" power metal bands come into the fold soon.
Those types of bands make for a great live act as Angel Dust, Brainstorm, Tad Morose, Balance of Power, Pagans Mind (I know they also incorporate prog, but face it, they are dark and heavy as well) Primal Fear and Evergrey etc. etc. all had a great response at PPUSA.

Bryant

it's not completely dead if you like it heavy you know. Other "heavy" power metal bands:

Mystic Prophecy - The ultimate "heavy" IMO. Most albums crush.
Cage - Recent albums rule!
Domine - long time since seen in action but a heavy enough band with some great material if you can look past the ultimate air raid siren Morby!
Dream Evil - I class them as heavy. they have a lot of crunch and it's not about speed. they are the ultimate power metal band these days with no duff tunes in sight.
Eldritch - MIA and slightly prog but El Nino was a wicked heavy album.
Elwing - Greek Running Wild/Grave Digger copy. heavy and catchy on the "War" album.
Grave Digger - still going and still heavy no?
Fracture - From Norway released this year. It's a real heavy and melodic one.
Hibria - From Brazil. heavy and speedy and very underrated.
Inner Wish's new album is heavier than before.
Jag Panzer - always been heavy and we'll wait to see what they come up with.
Powerwolf - one of my faves of recent years. adore the last two cds.
Rage - quality heavy power/thrash
Sacred Steel - Ok most people detest this band but SS is damn heavy!
Third Eye - new band released recently. Very heavy and chunky prog/power
Triosphere - very heavy and cool.
Wizard - heavy true metal. Solid and enjoyable band.

You have a link to this Fracture band? Can't seem to find it online. I really am liking Powerwolf.

Wolf is probably not what Glenn was looking for, but talk about a band with a big cult following from the "classic" metal crowd. Wolf is a really good band.

Having said all of that...... the lines are always really blurred between the various subgenres of metal, but I think the line gets really thin when trying to define what is dark power-metal and what is heavy traditional metal. I have always labeled the darker power metal bands as "American style power metal" though that may not be fair to the mostly European bands that incorporate the style, since early American power metal bands probably got the idea from bands like Accept and Iron Maiden in the first place. :err:
I don't really remember the point I was going to make at the end, but being a fan of oldschool metal, I really miss bands like Angel Dust and Breed era Tad Morose because they represented a modernized approach to the early power metal style. The guitars didn't get watered down too much with keys and there was enough throw you in your seat power mixed with melody there to make a great listening experience. Metal tends to be pretty cyclic though and I am sure there will be a wave of new "American style" power metal bands come into the fold soon.
Those types of bands make for a great live act as Angel Dust, Brainstorm, Tad Morose, Balance of Power, Pagans Mind (I know they also incorporate prog, but face it, they are dark and heavy as well) Primal Fear and Evergrey etc. etc. all had a great response at PPUSA.

Bryant

Didn't Angel Dust announce they were reformed earlier in the year? I'm pretty sure there was a thread about that somewhere.

you pretty much missed the only ever Pharoh live show my freind. They played Keep It True Fest and the Alehorn of Power fest in Chicago 2 years ago and one other show only. They are pretty much a studio band and dont play shows. Also the members are scattered all over the country.

The band is not as spread out as it was for the past few years, as some members have moved. I would think (hope) there would be a Pharaoh show or two next year, but who knows? I just play for them live, and it's completely up to them if they want to do more shows or not. Pharaoh has only played two shows; KIT and Alehorn, there wasn't another show, unless you count playing to a few friends in Matt's basement :)

Also, The new Pharaoh EP is done, and should be out some time this year. We start recording the next album later this year with a release date some time in 2011.

Didn't Angel Dust announce they were reformed earlier in the year? I'm pretty sure there was a thread about that somewhere.

As far as I know, the new Angel Dust "Tales from ashes and Dust" is scheduled to be released this year. It is a reunion with Dirk Thurisch and is the same lineup as from the "Border of Reality/Bleed/Enlighten the darkness" era less bassist Frank Banx. How it sounds/how well it goes over.... we will see. It has been 8 years since a release from AD, so I am not holding my breath.

Bryant

Edit..... forgot to mention one thing..... when Angel Dust played "Bleed" at PPUSAII, even though the venue was only about half full, it was one of the biggest crowd responses there has been at a PPUSA event. That was a magical PP moment.

As far as I know, the new Angel Dust "Tales from ashes and Dust" is scheduled to be released this year. It is a reunion with Dirk Thurisch and is the same lineup as from the "Border of Reality/Bleed/Enlighten the darkness" era less bassist Frank Banx. How it sounds/how well it goes over.... we will see. It has been 8 years since a release from AD, so I am not holding my breath.

Bryant

Edit..... forgot to mention one thing..... when Angel Dust played "Bleed" at PPUSAII, even though the venue was only about half full, it was one of the biggest crowd responses there has been at a PPUSA event. That was a magical PP moment.

So jealous I didn't go to that. :cry:

So jealous I didn't go to that. :cry:

Well sorry for rubbing it in, but of course Kamelot was excellent as well. The biggest surprise though was an opening band called "Balance of Power." I had never heard one note from those guys. They had some guy named Lance King singing for them ^___^ They laid down the law. It was my fave performance by Lance and he has had some good ones.

Bryant

The band is not as spread out as it was for the past few years, as some members have moved. I would think (hope) there would be a Pharaoh show or two next year, but who knows? ...

I know. :cry: I tried inviting Pharaoh down for the Pathfinder MetalFest 2010. But someone in the band is apparently fathering a child due in the Sept/Oct time frame. Otherwise I think we may have been able to work something out. Ah well. Maybe next year. :cool: