hey, What about Elvenking?

TBJ

Dec 5, 2002
Carrboro, NC
Visit site
I am not sure how well-known they are here in the US but I bet they'll surely be a showstopper if they ever get to PP...why? well, besides me being a total fanboy, I think they have a lot to offer to progressive and power metal fans..to those that don't know them, they are a folk-power band, their songs are very elaborate, sometimes progressive, often incorporating 3 or 4 different singers(growlers, clean male, clean female, operatic female), all doing different things, I compare them with Mago de Oz as far as musicallity is concerned..you might think that might sound messy but somehow they make it all come together, especially in those long epic songs like Seasonspeech..I would think they might not be able to represent these epic songs live but after seeing Therion I feel anything is possible if the band is really into giving an awesome performance!

I am not sure if we have had a pure folk-metal band on PP yet so I do suggest Glenn take a look(or listen) and see what I mean..they are not "that" big so I don't think they'll be too expensive from a monetary point of view so I really think they are a sensible option for a 3rd or 4th slot on a friday or saturday..

My 2 cents..

Okay.....but this has to be one of the two usual bands with harsh vocals. I can live with this one.

FatesFan said:
Okay.....but this has to be one of the two usual bands with harsh vocals. I can live with this one.

they dont really overuse the harsh vocals, just like an effect, or representing a character in some of their songs. Like in seasonspeech, the harsh vocals represent winter...pretty geeky stuff hehe

They would be a great pick and their new album is in the works, so the timing is right! And their harsh vocals are uncommon enough that I think they should NOT count as one of the odd-bands-out.

Dolamite S. Biffle said:
I would like to see Elvenking, Ensiferum or Wintersun. I really like this style of metal with the folk influences.

Now, I would pay whatever it took to see all three bands on the same bill!!

To those that have not heard Ensiferum or Wintersun..go run and get their cd's NOW. Awesome Power/Viking metal...:headbang:

I'm currently trying to get into Heathenreel, but I'm having some troubles.. I think it is because the vocalist sounds like he is drunk. The production is not nearly as clean as I am used to; I keep being reminded of Irish drinking songs meet power metal. I will listen to it a few more times to see if it clicks before I give up on it.

I hear they have a different vocalist on Wyrd; maybe, I'll like him better.

Robin

ReaLM said:
I'm currently trying to get into Heathenreel, but I'm having some troubles.. I think it is because the vocalist sounds like he is drunk. The production is not nearly as clean as I am used to; I keep being reminded of Irish drinking songs meet power metal.

EUROPEAN FOLK :loco:

I've only heard one song by ElvenKing, but I liked it. I wish I had time to get into all the bands that I've heard one killer song and gone, "Oh yeah, I have to buy a CD by these guys!"

SO much metal, so little time [and money]!

ReaLM said:
I'm currently trying to get into Heathenreel, but I'm having some troubles.. I think it is because the vocalist sounds like he is drunk. The production is not nearly as clean as I am used to; I keep being reminded of Irish drinking songs meet power metal. I will listen to it a few more times to see if it clicks before I give up on it.

I hear they have a different vocalist on Wyrd; maybe, I'll like him better.

Robin

Try Wyrd, it's a different singer(although not that much different, I thought it was the same one when I first heard it!)..

anyway, the singer on Wyrd is a little more controlled, and the production is much better.