Hotel question

Dolamite S. Biffle

Biffliest Person Ever
May 2, 2005
Atlantis
I tried all the close ones that were recommended that had suites, but all were booked. I had to go with the Marriott at 1041 West Peachtree, mapquest says that it is half a mile from the venue. however last year it said my hotel was 1.5 miles, but that was by highway and it was actually like 6 miles. So my question is, is my hotel actually that far walking distance.

DSB,

Yes, you booked a good hotel. I have stayed there every year since PP III. It about 6 good blocks south of the venue. The walk is only about 10 minutes for me, and I have about 25 pounds of camera gear strapped on my back.

There is a nice pub in the same building on the corner and the breakfasts are hot and free. Plus you get a kitchen with sink and full size refrigerator.

I'd be staying there again, but not at $149 a night. Was never more than $89 in the past, so I'm at the Residence Inn a bit closer to the venue this year ($99).

I've noticed that everything's booked around this time of year, probably because we have 2000 people each booking a room in anticipation of going to Progpower.

By the time everyone gets their tickets, about 1000 reservations get cancelled. Then a few more as people combine rooms. The last two years I've booked in May after failing to book in February.

Last year I booked the hotel 3 days before the festival! Probably got the best deal in this forum (69/night) at a very nice hotel (no unnecessary wonders such as kitchen, fireplace, plasma tv, fancy room/bathroom).

Can't get better than that! lol

I didn't want to say it because someone might miss out, but yeah, I changed my reservation and changed my hotel twice in the last week because my travel date changed and the first hotel couldn't give me an extra two days.

In the end, I just cancelled and rebooked for the extra two days online at the original hotel(Super 8) and it worked out fine.

Then again, that's Super 8. Grenada actually seems to be really hard to get into, and with their reputation for cancelling reservations without telling you, no way I'd chance them.

We most likely were hotel room-neighboors. LOL The Super 8 has been getting more and more popular among ProgPower attendees. It's not a bad place at all, I'm there every year!

Compare it... Super 8 is 69/night. Granada is 149/night. You don't have to necessarily stay there to be able to go to the parties at the Granada, so that's not an excuse.

These 80 extra dollars/day I could use to buy more CD's at the festival. Why doesn't it make sense to a lot of people here on the board? LoL

I've used it two years in a row. Last year I actually walked the other way(away from the venue) to see what was there and found a Kroger's only a block away. That cut down on my food budget, being able to just go to Kroger's and get some fruit or juice or chips or sandwich meat and bread.

A Borders there too.

I've loved Kroger since 2002, when I discovered it by accident.

Although Borders brought my cd's budget up (I know I'm stupid, I have this thing with Borders, I can't simply not buy anything there) lol

Well, I see everyone likes to bitch about the Granada's prices but why cheap out when you're already in deep for airfare, tickets and food? This is my vacation man, and I'm living it up! Only thing that sucks is the beer store is so far away...we'll have to get a group to abscond with the shuttle for a booze run again.

am_ash2 said:
Well, I see everyone likes to bitch about the Granada's prices but why cheap out when you're already in deep for airfare, tickets and food? This is my vacation man, and I'm living it up! Only thing that sucks is the beer store is so far away...we'll have to get a group to abscond with the shuttle for a booze run again.
BOOZE RUN!!!!!! Count me in.

am_ash2 said:
We'll definitely set up a run- Thursday- immediately after my flight gets in.
What time does your flight get in??? Mine gets in at 12 noon on thursday.

am_ash2 said:

The Shell station is just a short walk (it's closer than CVS) and they carry New Castle, so I'm all set! :headbang:

J-Dubya