How it happened this year:

Harvester said:
Hang with me.....

I contact Masterplan. Budget is a concern for their booking agent, but they will check with the band. I never hear back.

Symphorce gets the nod next. It was an easy decision after watching Andy perform live.

Manticora gets the nod next after I'm blown away by the new disc. I alreadly know regardless of who I book in the bottom 4 slots that I want them to open the festival. The show needs to start off with a kick in the nuts instead of an oddball or a prog band.

Psychotic Waltz turns me down.

Seiges Even's represenative contacts me. I reply that I would love to have them and let's open talks. I never get a reply.

In the meantime, a loud mouthed guitarist tells the world I made them an offer. Note that the loud mothed guitarist is not on the final roster.

Fates Warning don't even blink at me.

Ken Golden throws the Circus Maximus disc at me. By the next morning, I made them an offer as I was blown away. I think..wait they don't even have a disc out so what's the public going to say? Fuck it, it's my gig and I want them just so I can see them. I figure they fit the Dreamscape slot in a #2 position and balance Manticora's power. Friday night's headliners are the only thing left.

I nail down Conception after waiting for two months. I want them in the 4th slot and that is where they want to be. I have to keep quiet for weeks while I get slagged in my own forum about not having a big name that fits the mold and appeals to the prog fans. Oh well...

I approach a previous band that played about the 3rd slot and they are psyched. I'm happy. Forty-eight hours later they sign a contract with a big European management and land a direct support slot on a European tour for September that they cannot pass up. I don't blame them one bit. Thus, I lose the 2nd band.

I'm sitting around listening to some tunes and random button brings up PC's "Shame." I love this song and I have known Kosta for a few years now. I consult with some friends and they agree that..."You got balls." PC 69 is confirmed within 72 hrs. The band gets a 3rd slot to mix up the pace a bit, especially before Therion and Stratovarius.

Mystery band cannot confirm by my deadline. Damn it. Maybe next time...

Time for a beer.

Glenn H.

My comments on the above..

Masterplan - nonbelievers :p

Symphorce - I thought was confirmed at last year's PP because Andy told me he'd be back next year. I guess he was planning on buying a ticket :)

Manticora - when a kick in the nuts is needed, look no further :D

Psychotic Waltz - who? ((starts searching internet ASAP))

Sige's Even - see Psychotic Waltz

Loud mouth - I remember that :loco:

Fates Warning - they've done nothing but bore me to tears since No Exit which must explain the no-blinking.

Circus Maximus - that whole exerpt is priceless.

Conception - I've never heard anything of until recently and I'm mad I can't find CDs :hotjump:

PC69 - you RAWK, I'm addicted to these guys right now.

Time for a beer - you damn right!

Barking Pumpkin said:
Well....if you're not going to say anything else, I guess I won't......but Rage has a style that fits with the festival, and Accept doesn't really seem to......and in my opinion, they're not really a very good band from what I've heard. And by "80's band," I wasn't talking about bands from the eighties, I was talking about the style of music that was popular in part of the eighties.

While I think I understand what you're saying, perhaps for the sake of clarity you should try to use a different term, like "80's-style metal" or "metal with an 80's sound," something like that.

As for Accept, and any other bands, I do think it's silly to judge a band by its song titles. Hell, if all I knew of Kamelot was the themes for most of their songs and judged them on that, I'd never listen to them. Honor, bravery and glory--blech.

Shaye

What the hell is wrong with Jim Matheos? I am of course making the assumption he is to blame for not wanting to play this glorious festival. I have emailed him a few times to query why they will not play. Of course no response. I had offered to sponsor them for Glenn. I don't think money is an issue, but once again just a guess. ProgPower is a perfectly targeted audience of 1200 people. They never play for crowds that size in the USA. Ray has been here, he can speak for how it is. Maybe we will see him with Redemption next year.

Conception reunion should be great. It is my belief that Crimson Glory was the secret band, but perhaps not. Oh well. Thanks for the best festival Harvestor!!!!!

...hold on.... Accept?

The band that did Balls To The Wall?

Why on Earth would Accept be at a ProgPower USA show? I'm still trying to figure out why Fozzy would do a cover of that song (albeit they did a helluva bitchin version of it) let alone why anyone would want Accept at a festival for bands that are relevant to today's music scene!

Bryan316 said:
...hold on.... Accept?

Why on Earth would Accept be at a ProgPower USA show? I'm still trying to figure out why Fozzy would do a cover of that song (albeit they did a helluva bitchin version of it) let alone why anyone would want Accept at a festival for bands that are relevant to today's music scene!

Well...without getting into metal genres, typecasting, etc., I think Accept at a PPUSA show would be totally appropriate, but not necessarily typical PPUSA fodder.

The question of "relevance" has to do with the time. No matter how you classify them, if you were around the metal scene at the time, Accept really did help perfect (and influence) that Euro-metal, Teutonic Metal, (shall I dare say it?) Power Metal (whatever the hell you wanna call it) sound. Bands like Rage and Accept took what the Scorps were doing and took it to the next level, paving the way for (at least) future German metal bands. If you missed out on Accept's rise, maturity, and subsequent slow fall off the radar, then I can understand why people wonder what the hell the big deal is...

Who cares if Glenn even considered them or not...doesn't matter (but I bet he at least thought about it, cuz this looks like a one-time, limited run thing). Knowing that he likes to take chances with lineups, and Accept (or future U.D.O.) appearance would be welcome on these shores (I know, I know...still not typical PPUSA material...and that's debatable, I'm sure)....I guarantee fans would come out of the woodwork (or...maybe not...who knows?)

So...for those of you that don't really know...or don't even care, just suffice it to say they were a very cool, influential band...and the fact that U.D.O. still keeps delivering the goods today is admirable.

Rock on!

Bryan316 said:
...hold on.... Accept?

It's those silly old fogies......^_^

>_>

I want to know Glenn's thoughts on Running Wild and if plans on getting to play ProgPower because they sure deserve to, and headline at that. What about Grave Digger. I would also like to see Royal Hunt play.

Hey Glenn,

First of all, awesome job on the lineup, loved the summary of how everything went down. Looking forward to CM, PC69, Symphorce, etc.

I'm really, really curious though,....first PP (I think) with no Inside Out bands on the schedule. Hopefully there wasn't a falling out with them over there and that there is still a possibility of seeing IOMA artists on future shows.

I mentioned the lack of IOMA artists in a previous thread when we were all guessing and I noticed you said something to the effect "Who says I have to have someone from Inside Out?" (Paraphrased, of course) and then I noticed IOMA were not one of the sponsors/patrons for this year and I kind of saw the writing on the wall then,.....

Would love to see a return by Threshold (natch,...), POS, and maybe somebody new (Poverty's No Crime?) next year,.....

Da bummed Pup

Killerpuppies said:
I'm really, really curious though,....first PP (I think) with no Inside Out bands on the schedule. Hopefully there wasn't a falling out with them over there and that there is still a possibility of seeing IOMA artists on future shows.

There has been no falling out between myself and IOMA. I relied heavily on their roster in the past and wanted to do a no-repeat show if at all possible this year. I fully expect a few of their artists to be back next year.

I will say this though. Evidently, the parent company (in Europe) has decided a different direction for the label and it works against them in terms of my festival. If you will look at recent history, they are only releasing:

a. side projects (James Labrie, Jelly Jam, Russell Allen, Pinella, etc)
b. prog rock (Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Kino, etc.)
c. don't know what the fuck they were thinking (Asia)
d. studio projects (Ayreon, Shadow Gallery)
e. instrumental (CGT, etc)
f. bands that make a reputation elsewhere first (just about everyone on their roster)

I can only recycle so much before it hurts me.

Glenn H.

Interesting...

The marketing cycle kicks in for InsideOut the same way it did for Magna Carta...

I hope this is NOT a downward spiral...

Rock on!

Harvester said:
There has been no falling out between myself and IOMA. I relied heavily on their roster in the past and wanted to do a no-repeat show if at all possible this year. I fully expect a few of their artists to be back next year.

I will say this though. Evidently, the parent company (in Europe) has decided a different direction for the label and it works against them in terms of my festival. If you will look at recent history, they are only releasing:

a. side projects (James Labrie, Jelly Jam, Russell Allen, Pinella, etc)
b. prog rock (Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Kino, etc.)
c. don't know what the fuck they were thinking (Asia)
d. studio projects (Ayreon, Shadow Gallery)
e. instrumental (CGT, etc)
f. bands that make a reputation elsewhere first (just about everyone on their roster)

I can only recycle so much before it hurts me.

Glenn H.

Well, I for one am glad to hear it. I kind of thought with your other statements of creating a completely unique lineup this time around (or as close as you could get) was a really great business strategy.

Recycling is great for aluminum,...not so much for music, I agree.

And, if you had decided to bring back somebody from IOMA it could have cost us the opportunity to debut Circus Maximus or another act,...etc. Let me have CM this time around,....

I agree with almost all the letters you've listed up there with the exception of "B" which would give you the "Prog" in ProgPower but that's splitting hairs, I know.

Don't get me wrong,..I really do like this lineup you have this year if only because I'm not familiar with half the lineup and that has always been a strong attraction for attending past shows. I really dig the PC 69 selection, btw.

Da Killer Pup

Now if I could only find some Conception cd's,...damn if they aren't hard to find. :p

Thanks for the inside look at the timeline Glenn!

Personally, I would have not even hestiated paying the ticket price and driving 10 hours to get there just to see Conception - so everything else is icing....

But what sweet icing!

I am really digging the Stride song a LOT and the intrumentals from their website....
And as for Circus Maximus.... I thought that was in the top ten goofy names club and if you wanted to book them for yourself and say fuck it, fine... but after listening to the ALIVE track over and over in my car this past week... o_O :headbang:

Dude I am LOVING that track!!!! I am right there with you - I think these guys will be my sleeper like Dreamscape was last year. They hit this real neat mix of a bit of DT and a few other bands, and a BIG helping of TNT, especially in the vocal melodies. Definitely in that guitar solo too! I am right there with you with these guys now - REALLY looking forward to seeing them play!!! (and getting their album!! when is that released??!)

FRIDAY NIGHT WILL OWN!!!!!!
:headbang: :worship: :headbang: :worship:

Harvester said:
Glenn H.

Good to hear this about you and Inside Out.

As for expecting a FEW of their artist to return next year for PP7...... :tickled: :headbang:

PUUUHHHLEEEASE THRESHOLD!!!!!!:worship: :worship: :worship:

Harvester said:
I approach a previous band that played about the 3rd slot and they are psyched. I'm happy. Forty-eight hours later they sign a contract with a big European management and land a direct support slot on a European tour for September that they cannot pass up. I don't blame them one bit. Thus, I lose the 2nd band.

Hmm. From the Braveboard today:
MERCENARY have posted the following update at their official website:

"Mercenary is extremely proud to announce that we've just signed both management and worldwide booking contract with German Continental Concerts - housing among others such awesome bands as Nevermore, Soilwork and Children of Bodom, and in addition exclusive bookers for killer acts like Dimmu Borgir, Amon Amarth and Accept, just to name a few. Expect the touring heat to increase from here!"