Votes: 25 34.2%
  • 25 - 50

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • 50 - 100

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • More than 100

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters
I said 25-50, but apparently that's a lie, as I've got 55 2013 entries in my catalog, and 20 2014s already (with 8 in the mail right now and the annual PPUSA pillaging not come and past yet).

Guess I mis-voted!

Just a few years ago I would've been over 100 (well over), but the last few years I've really slowed down - probably in the 25-50 range. Heck, I've returned from Progpower with close to 50 new discs a few times.

Well, I'm a prog lightweight in comparison. I average around 15-20 per year, often less. Recently in the last two years I've increased based on me coming out of my burnout and with my newfound willingness to purchase mp3. Before I buy most anything from any band I sample from youtube, amazon, bandcamp or wherever. I've made waaaaay too many horrible purchases in the past based on nothing but speculation, descriptions and recommendations. I'm at the halfway point this year and I think I've bought maybe 12 or so.

I purchase less than 25 per year. Nearly all based on who is playing ppusa and recommendations here and at the Portnoy forum. I sample nearly every purchase as well so I don't end up with much crap.

The fact that I visit at least two festivals a year, many shows, and constantly shop online and in stores for new and used CDs and vinyl, I had to be honest and put my number at somewhere at more than 100 a year. I hardly ever download music. I stream quite a bit on Spotify, Youtube, Grooveshark, etc., but I usually buy a hard copy of something I like.

I probably purchase between 35-60 a year, and of those about 15-16 are new releases. For the purposes of this poll, I'm voting 25-50. I ALWAYS buy a physical copy. Besides this, I probably receive for review another 10 as a download, but if I like them I buy a physical copy anyway.

Probably 400-500, maybe more. Most of them Japanese CD releases, boxsets, limited editions. I have an addiction!!

From my DB:
2000 - 228
2001 - 220
2002 - 217
2003 - 223
2004 - 250
2005 - 212
2006 - 217
2007 - 195
2008 - 158
2009 - 119
2010 - 138
2011 - 86
2012 - 77
2013 - 47
2014 - 14

Obviously not every disc was purchased in the year it was released - the latest Orden Ogan (2012) and DGM (2013) discs just came in the mail last week - but I'm definitely trending down.

Somewhere between 50-100. I converted to all digital as well, but I still will buy some CDs if I can't find them digitally or if the price is better. Once I rip them to digital I wind up selling the physical copies anyways. I do miss the liner notes and artwork that comes with the physical copy though.

Just curious, since you went completely digital are just as satisfied with the purchase without the artwork and liner notes? I am having a hard time switching myself.
I think the value of liner notes is largely overstated, especially given the digital age in which we live. Anything I want to know about an album or artist can easily be found online, and typically in a superior format. Take lyrics for example. I can't tell you how many times I found the lyrics in the liner notes to be practically illegible, either because of the quality of the print or the size of the font (or both). Now if I want to know the lyrics of a song, I simply go to DarkLyrics.com.

Plus, for me, it got to the point that I never actually played the physical CD. I have over 500 albums stored on my phone (as well as a paid subscription to Spotify). So that takes care of listening in the car, work and the gym. And I have my entire music collection ripped to my PC, which allows me to stream to my stereo at home.

I can't tell you how many times I found the lyrics in the liner notes to be practically illegible, either because of the quality of the print or the size of the font (or both). Now if I want to know the lyrics of a song, I simply go to DarkLyrics.com.

This. I like it when a booklet has lyrics typed in a straightforward, easily readable font. I'm disappointed when a booklet is overdesigned or has different art elements crashing into each other. And I'm really tired of the "scribble" style of lyrics (where it's made to look like someone was hastily writing them with a pen, you know what I mean). Gives me a headache trying to read them. Most of the time, the Lyrics page of a band website is more helpful to me.