How to pronouce the COB guy's names...

I don't see how anyone could not know how to promounce Alexi's last name after the TL&SO vid.

You mean the "Trashed And Lost In Helsinki" vid, Conti? Cause if you were referring to this one...well, yeah, in it we can hear Alexi's name pronounced by other guys (maybe by Janne)...

┼Victim of the Night┼;5720862 said:
You mean the "Trashed And Lost In Helsinki" vid, Conti? Cause if you were referring to this one...well, yeah, in it we can hear Alexi's name pronounced by other guys (maybe by Janne)...

actually,I never saw it yet,tell me I was right with the pronounciation?:erk:

┼Victim of the Night┼;5720862 said:
you hear it pronouced my Alexi Himself

"Officer Laiho here"

actually,I never saw it yet,tell me I was right with the pronounciation?:erk:

Alexi-Ah-lex-see Laiho: Lie-ho. It's not LAY-Ho.
Well, I'm not finnish but I think this one is totally true, Nikkie.... :)

Then it seemed to me that I heard:
Jaska --> said as Yaska
Janne --> said as Yanne (pronouncing the "e")
Henkka --> said as Henk-ka
Roope --> said as Rope (pronouncing two "o" and the final "e")

(so it's evident that Joe was right a lot...)

ps: to finnish people who read here: can you confirm it? I hope so... otherwise, sorry :)

:lol: In the car is funny... not as good as "BLACK DEATH"... I fucking love Roope :lol:

Omg, you're right, yeah.... that's a great part....
Also during Alexi and Jaska's fight on the snow in the park, when Roope says <<...those boys are having fun with Christmas tree...>> :lol:
(well, if my italian ears heard good :err: )...

And then, guys, remember: Tavastia... do not go in there, woaah!! :kickass: :lol: ... :)

&#9532;Victim of the Night&#9532;;5720924 said:
Well, I'm not finnish but I think this one is totally true, Nikkie.... :)

Then it seemed to me that I heard:
Jaska --> said as Yaska
Janne --> said as Yanne (pronouncing the "e")
Henkka --> said as Henk-ka
Roope --> said as Rope (pronouncing two "o" and the final "e")

(so it's evident that Joe was right a lot...)

ps: to finnish people who read here: can you confirm it? I hope so... otherwise, sorry :)

yay!

Janne = Yann ee
Roope = Roo pe
Alexi = Ale ksi
Jaska = Yaska
Henkka = Henck ah
Laiho = Lieho

Raatikainen = raa ti kai (as in pie) nen

Alexi is the finnish version for Alex, in Russia its Alexej

According to Wikipedia Alexi got gypsy blood, and Alexi is not a very common name among finns, maybe it's a gypsy thing. He doesn't look gypsy at all, so wonder if Wikipedia is right? Footage from his childhood, when he is properly dressed, playing a violine isn't very gypsyish in my eyes, they rather live in trailers with their 56 kids, wash their clothes down by the river.

Uula comes from Ulla I guess

Ulla is a swedish name for women over 60.
Uula is indeed Ola, also a swedish name for old farts like already mentioned.

Ulla made a smorgasboard in der fjordenborgen der Bjorn Borg i Smergen bergen

Alexi is the finnish version for Alex, in Russia its Alexej

According to Wikipedia Alexi got gypsy blood, and Alexi is not a very common name among finns, maybe it's a gypsy thing. He doesn't look gypsy at all, so wonder if Wikipedia is right?

I've heard his mother has some gypsy blood. And his name originally is Aleksi, which is a common Finnish name; some write it with an x instead of ks. The abbreviation/nickname Allu is also quite common.
I had done a bit of research on the net before; some sites say Aleksi is a short version of Aleksanteri, others say it is a Finnish version of Alexis or Alexius.

Thanks for clearing up the Uula thing. I'd been wondering about that one for ages! One of the Soilwork guys is named Ola, right? But they aren't old farts :loco:

As for Janne, according to Scythes Of bodom it is Janne Viljami Wirman.

YOU ARE SO FUCKING GAY

learn to become Finnish or just die or stop trying to pronounce Finnish names

I can't help it, but... why are you always acting this way?
My God, we are just discussing abouth something CoB related, and noone is pretending to know things that in reality doesn't, and expecially noone has said to know things better than finnish people.
It seemed to me that we asked for finnish people's help though... bah.

You also hear roopes name being pronounced by alexi in "passage to the reaper".

"Check out my buddy Roope..."
Exactly exact! :)

You also hear roopes name being pronounced by alexi in "passage to the reaper".

"Check out my buddy Roope..."

To be fair, Alexi says it differently than it is actually said. I've been extremely lucky enough to have met the guy, and his name is 100% definately pronouced "RRO-PAH".. I think there's a difference to them between the finnish annunciations and the english forms so it varies I suppose.

Anyways this thread was made judt to help new fans and old who never really learned to prepare themselves if they one day met the band/a band member they would at least know how to say the names correctly and not call them something like "JAS-KA" and "JANIE/YAWNEE"...

Anyways this thread was made judt to help new fans and old who never really learned to prepare themselves if they one day met the band/a band member they would at least know how to say the names correctly and not call them something like "JAS-KA" and "JANIE/YAWNEE"...
True, and indeed the thread starter had really a nice idea!

Then, another thing... in the special contents of the Chaos Ridden Years dvd, we can have a lil' help by hearing they calling each others, in the parts when the guys talk about theirselves and tell us their story... :)

&#9532;Victim of the Night&#9532;;5722362 said:
True, and indeed the thread starter had really a nice idea!

Then, another thing... in the special contents of the Chaos Ridden Years dvd, we can have a lil' help by hearing they calling each others, in the parts when the guys talk about theirselves and tell us their story... :)

Thanks, and you're right, but they say eachother's names sorta fast so I don't blame people who don't know the right way to say it for not getting them or knowing the correct way from the videos alone. Besides, a thread is a lot easier, albeit less entertaining, than rooting through videos.

Either way, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... don't called Roope "ROOP"... he deserves a lot more respect than that. Remember that Alexi and Janne get a lot more attention than the rest of the band members because they are the more recognizable ones and produce the more unique sounds that are placed at the forefront of the music and those elements are more easily picked out.

Calling him by the wrong name is just a doubleslap in the face. imo, Jaska, Henkka, Roope are my favourite members of the band by far but they are a bit underated by fans at times. From what I've seen anyways.

Thanks, and you're right, but they say eachother's names sorta fast so I don't blame people who don't know the right way to say it for not getting them or knowing the correct way from the videos alone. Besides, a thread is a lot easier, albeit less entertaining, than rooting through videos.

Either way, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... don't called Roope "ROOP"... he deserves a lot more respect than that. Remember that Alexi and Janne get a lot more attention than the rest of the band members because they are the more recognizable ones and produce the more unique sounds that are placed at the forefront of the music and those elements are more easily picked out.

Calling him by the wrong name is just a doubleslap in the face. imo, Jaska, Henkka, Roope are my favourite members of the band by far but they are a bit underated by fans at times. From what I've seen anyways.

You got that right,I went to see Bodom in North Jersey back in May,I got there early,and Henkka was in the venue,he walked to my mother and talked to her,she was inside the venue also, and there were some 15 year old male fans in their tight jeans,studded belts and their Are you Dead Yet shirts,short sleeved,and it was really cold that day. So Henkka finishes talking to my mother, and he walks right past those kids who had no idea who he was,and he walks to right my car and we all hang out. Main point it,they don't know anyone else in the band except for Alexi.