I hope you all know you are going to rot in hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) If you can't stop yourself from commiting a crime off of the basis that "this is wrong because it hurts others" alone and need the fear of punishment to stop you, I'd say weakness creeps up in there.

2) There is no appeal to dying in a hole in the ground either - but one doesn't have to believe in God for it to be possible to live on (vicariously mind you through being absorbed into this Earth and then becoming the nutrients of plants, and eventually feeding the entirety of beings to come after you in a cyclical manner, I personally find that to be FAR more reassuring than eternal life.)

3) One should not live and act to be rewarded, rather one should live to do what they feel is right - to ease the suffering of oneself and that of many others, to be happy - one shouldn't worry about the beyond, just live a good life while here.

I agree totally with this guy.

While I do confess myself to have a belief in God, I do not resign myself to a standard set of religious beliefs because religion is a creation of man and, thus, is flawed and not even good as a crutch. No matter how seemingly helpful a religion may seem, the only thing they truly succeed in is creating timid, submissive sheep who rely solely on some transcendent deity to manage their lives for them.

Now, this isn't true for some (like Montu, apparently), but to use religion to "stop you from doing evil" is an obvious show of weakness. "Evil" does not have a solid definition, so you can't really expect yourself to be prevented from it by choosing what seems to be good.

Lastly, I kinda agree with Dio in that Heaven and Hell are on Earth and that we all have our own experience of it. I also like that quote on Reek of Putrefaction that says "I think the world is a giant carcass, and our purpose as human beings is as maggots". That's interestingly perceptive and holds some obscure truth to it. But apart from that, I don't think Heaven is just some "gaudy city" in the clouds where we all sit around and kiss the feet of a Nazarene carpenter; I don't know what it is and I don't claim to know, so I'm not going to create false expectations as to what it is. And Hell? What kind of "loving, compassionate God" would create a SPECIAL place for those who don't give him all their attention to burn and rot for eternity? First of all, I don't believe that God created "Hell"; it is likely a metaphorical construct by the church in order to frighten the masses into pledging their support to God and, in turn, the church.

1) If you can't stop yourself from commiting a crime off of the basis that "this is wrong because it hurts others" alone and need the fear of punishment to stop you, I'd say weakness creeps up in there.

2) There is no appeal to dying in a hole in the ground either - but one doesn't have to believe in God for it to be possible to live on (vicariously mind you through being absorbed into this Earth and then becoming the nutrients of plants, and eventually feeding the entirety of beings to come after you in a cyclical manner, I personally find that to be FAR more reassuring than eternal life.)

3) One should not live and act to be rewarded, rather one should live to do what they feel is right - to ease the suffering of oneself and that of many others, to be happy - one shouldn't worry about the beyond, just live a good life while here.

I will reply to this tomorrow.

There is nothing appealing to me about living and subsequently dying in a hole in the ground. Life is hard. Living life knowing and that you will be rewarded the ultimate prize is much better than living life thinking there is nothing out there, no god. That's a pretty depressing thought to me.

This is a very large part of what people mean when they refer to religion as a crutch. People fear death and finality, and many use religion and the idea of the afterlife in order to cushion the harsh reality of mortality. "Death is a new beginning" rather than "death is the end." Christianity provides a reward system for good behavior and an eternity of bliss for which to strive, and people lean on it to justify their own actions to themselves, both 'good' (not committing a crime because it is against God's will) and 'bad' (killing your family because God told you to).

This is a very large part of what people mean when they refer to religion as a crutch. People fear death and finality, and many use religion and the idea of the afterlife in order to cushion the harsh reality of mortality. "Death is a new beginning" rather than "death is the end." Christianity provides a reward system for good behavior and an eternity of bliss for which to strive, and people lean on it to justify their own actions to themselves, both 'good' (not committing a crime because it is against God's will) and 'bad' (killing your family because God told you to).

Precisely. The main foundation of religion is the fear of death/meaninglessness... and since the vast majority of humans fear these things that in part explains our propensity to buy into religion.

I was interpreting 'crutch' like "I'm praying every day for this good thing to happen to me".

(killing your family because God told you to).

That's plainly bullshit though.

Dear Captain Joseph Borrelli,

I am deeply hurt by your calling me a wemon hater. I am not. But I am a monster. I am the 'Son of Sam.' I am a little brat.

When father Sam gets drunk he gets mean. He beats his family. Sometimes he ties me up to the back of the house. Other times he locks me in the garage. Sam loves to drink blood.

'Go out and kill,' commands father Sam.

'Behind our house some rest. Mostly young -- raped and slaughtered -- their blood drained -- just bones now.

Papa Sam keeps me locked in the attic too. I can't get out but I look out the attic window and watch the world go by.

I feel like an outsider. I am on a different wavelength then everybody else -- programmed too kill.

However, to stop me you must kill me. Attention all police: Shoot me first -- shoot to kill or else keep out of my way or you will die!

Papa Sam is old now. He needs some blood to preserve his youth. He has had too many heart attacks. 'Ugh, me hoot, it hurts, sonny boy.'

I miss my pretty princess most of all. She's resting in our ladies house. But I'll see her soon.

I am the 'Monster' -- 'Beelzebub' -- the chubby behemouth.

I love to hunt. Prowling the streets looking for fair game -- tasty meat. The wemon of Queens are prettyist of all. It must be the water they drink. I live for the hunt -- my life. Blood for papa.

Mr. Borrelli, sir, I don't want to kill anymore. No sur, no more but I must, 'honour thy father.'

I want to make love to the world. I love people. I don't belong on earth. Return me to yahoos.

To the people of Queens, I love you. And I want to wish all of you a happy Easter. May

God bless you in this life and in the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.