IPad

James Murphy

Mar 26, 2002
just wanted to try browsing the forum and posting a thread using Safari on my step-father's iPad....

And I have to say that it's fucking genius... Cannot wait to get mine. Yeah I have an IPhone so I seriously questioned the usefulness of an iPad for myself... But after using his for just an hour today, I'm sold.

I typed this nearly as quickly on the on-screen keys as I do on a normal keyboard... Which is pretty quick.

After just getting an iTouch, I can see the usefulness of an iPad. Unfortunately without Flash it renders a LOT of internet sites completely unusable.

I was in class and some guy had a new iPad with him. Someone asked him what the benefits were.. he took 15 seconds to come up with "It can view PDFs in full screen?" :/

So far out of all the sites that I go to daily, weekly... Native instruments was the only one that doesn't work at all. Other sites work just no flash visible.

With the way the adobe vs apple war is going, I think we will either see the death of new flash development or we will get flash support lol.

So far out of all the sites that I go to daily, weekly... Native instruments was the only one that doesn't work at all. Other sites work just no flash visible.

With the way the adobe vs apple war is going, I think we will either see the death of new flash development or we will get flash support lol.

Gonna have to get flash support, it's way too universal to be passed up by something as big as the iPad.

(even though I can't really see the point in one to begin with)

After just getting an iTouch, I can see the usefulness of an iPad. Unfortunately without Flash it renders a LOT of internet sites completely unusable.

I was in class and some guy had a new iPad with him. Someone asked him what the benefits were.. he took 15 seconds to come up with "It can view PDFs in full screen?" :/

sounds like that speaks more to that guy's lack of imagination and poor knowledge of the product than it does to any fault in the iPad itself..

and the lack of flash will not be permanent, nor will the lack of multi-tasking. i'm not worried about it... i can come up with much more than that guy in the same 15 seconds.... all without flash. my step-dad has hardly put his down since he got it... email, surfing, bill paying, shopping, games, locally stored movies, Netflix streamed movies, prescription medicine journal, diabetes journal, music, reading books, etc etc.. i've seen him doing all on them since he got his.

yeah, he has a laptop.. he likes this better, far easier to carry around... and the more i see him using his, the more i'm getting sold on the idea of getting one.

goddamn it.

I stand corrected, haha!

But why the iPad as opposed to a normal laptop/computer/smartphone?

Touch is generally easier than moving a trackpad or one of those little balls that you have to use with laptop/netbooks. It's more comfortable/easier to use but less versatile... the same it seems with any Mac product vs. an equivalent PC [please let's not start anything].

Gonna have to get flash support, it's way too universal to be passed up by something as big as the iPad.

i don't think so. with the advent of web 3.0 flash will no longer be the main "interactive tool", so to speak

really? that's pretty easy.. smartphone too small, lappy to big.... and what Morgan said.

Joey, what store do you run?

I just started a drum sample store. Making my own drum samples...

Http://www.joeysturgis.com

I do all the orders, product management, customer support and everything from my iPad. The only thing I have to do from an actual computer is upload the products. I can do it while I'm recording right from my lap.

Down the road there's going to be iHelicopters to fly you to the iStore where you can buy your iCommandCenter. Completely customizable. There's an app to be a superhero millionaire cowboy astronaut from planet Mars IMAGINE THAT!

really? that's pretty easy.. smartphone too small, lappy to big.... and what Morgan said.

Holy shit did we just agree?

i don't think so. with the advent of web 3.0 flash will no longer be the main "interactive tool", so to speak

Actually no.. HTML5 Videos can and are replacing Flash Videos, but Flash layouts cannot be directly replaced by HTML5 (it lacks a lot of Flash's features and is ridiculously cumbersome to use - you have to have a separate bit of code for EVERY SINGLE BROWSER. So if you want to draw a line, you have to draw that line for Mozilla, and then for Safari, and then for Chrome, and then for IE....) , and even if they could it'd be about 5 years before it was adopted universally.

Adobe and Apple are going to have to come up with a solution. Which apparently they've been working on for like 2 years now, so I'm not holding my breath.

I'm sure down the road I will want one...

But not the way it is right now. I honestly though they were going to make this more like a tablet PC than a giant ipod touch. :(

I'm not knocking it though, I really do think down the road I will have GAS for one. :D

I was hoping for more of a full features OS, as opposed to the iPhone OS. The OS on the iPad is a little different than the iPod Touch or the iPhone. Sure the iPad looks just like a giant iPod touch, but functionality wise, it is a little bit different than the iPod touch.

Definitely a very cool device, but at this point, I need a new computer first :loco:

Edit: As far as flash goes, Flash was really made for a computer, not mobile devices. A huge part of flash is mouse overs. On mobile devices, you don't exactly have a mouse to mouse over anything, which makes many parts of Flash totally useless. Not to mention that Adobe doesn't really seem to optimize the performance of Flash at all. Flash is a total hog. While HTML5 code may be more cumbersome to write, there are a ton of advantages. Apple and Adobe could definitely find a middle ground, but I doubt that will happen. Adobe needs to innovate with Flash instead of keeping it the same.