Iron Maiden in Chicago

Azrael LenGraden

Lake Of Fire
May 5, 2004
Spring Grove, IL, USA
www.youtube.com
I just had to comment on this...say what you want about Iron Maiden, whether you like their new stuff, like their old stuff only, like both, whatever....But for all of the bands who have fallen by the musical wayside, after almost 30 years in the business Iron Maiden just pulled their largest crowd ever in Chicago. They played at the Midwest Bank Amphitheater in Tinley Park last night and had one of the largest crowds I have ever seen at this venue... and this can't just be attributed to loyal fans, this was the first time seeing Eddie and the boys for at least a third of the crowd (based on a poll that Bruce took during the concert). I just think it's a credit to their appeal, talent, and staying power... My hats off to them (if I wore a hat). They have a drawing power and appeal that few can match... I mean they even draw crazy promoters from Atlanta to come up to Chi-town for a show:headbang:

I was just overwhelmed that that after 30 years they are still growing. The dedication of "Blood Brothers" to RJD and the words Bruce spoke before the song were very classy and touched me.... and I couldn't finish this post without saying this...How many opening bands get a standing ovation and curtain call??? Well Dream Theater did... for 6 songs they brought the house down... need I say more?

Up the Irons

Amazing show.
Really nothing else needs to be said.
Still find it odd that people complain about the setlist, but there will always be fans who only want to hear the classics.

Bruce stated from the moment he came back that Maiden will never be just a "Greatest Hits" band.

I had to miss the Brave New World tour, and Dance of Death didn't come to Chicago, so for me, there were a good number of tunes I never seen them do live.

I saw our very own Glenn at the show along with Nick from Redemption.

I had a good time at the show, I took my wife and kind of felt bad for her because the show really focused on new material and only touched upon 4 or so classics (pre-Somewhere in Time).

DT's set was decent they played all the heavier songs but their sound wasnt too good.

But for all of the bands who have fallen by the musical wayside, after almost 30 years in the business Iron Maiden just pulled their largest crowd ever in Chicago. They played at the Midwest Bank Amphitheater in Tinley Park last night and had one of the largest crowds I have ever seen at this venue...

Visual evidence, from way back in the lawn (the posts mark the start of the lawn, so everyone you see closer to me than the posts is on the lawn):
37753_1493294566499_1058079951_1411987_5672580_n.jpg

and this can't just be attributed to loyal fans, this was the first time seeing Eddie and the boys for at least a third of the crowd (based on a poll that Bruce took during the concert).

Yeah, that was unbelievable to me at first, but then, it makes sense because that's the only possible way they could assemble such a crowd...without the new blood, they would never reach those kind of numbers. And I was actually surprised on this tour how many old-time Internet-metal peers of mine were saying "going to my first Maiden show!", so it's not just kids either.

I just think it's a credit to their appeal, talent, and staying power...

And to their marketing and business acumen. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this Iron Maiden phenomenon is a case study that should be investigated examined by everyone in the entire entertainment industry. If Rod Smallwood (and Steve Harris and whoever else) wrote an academic-style business/management book detailing the 30-year rise, dip, and rise to new heights of Iron Maiden, they would be regarded in the business world as icons like Jack Welch, Warren Buffet, or Steve Jobs. What they've achieved is simply unmatched.

Good for them, but damn is it silly to go to events that 18,000 other people are attending! :erk:

Neil

Fantastic show. Only my second time seeing Maiden and it's pretty awesome that they've had two recent tours that for the most part, outside of a handful of songs have had entirely different set lists. As Jason said, you have to respect them for sticking to their guns and not being just a nostalga act.

As for why I think there were so many people, I think there are a number of reasons. Despite not being promoted in the mainstream, they are a marketing machine. Secondly, while they aren't my favorite band in the world, they really do deliver live every single time. Lastly, as far as the turnout, you have to give some of that credit to Dream Theater too. I don't know who they toured with on BNW and DOD, but on SBIT they really didn't have a credible opener and I think that speaks volumes in terms of the turnout. Just being in the pit I noticed A LOT of hardcore Dream Theater fans.

There's a reason why I always defend this band to no end, last night made me realize it is always worth it.

What a great night to be a Maiden fan. :)

they refuse to come to North Carolina so i never get to see them, but the lucky bastards in COLOSSUS had a day off on their tour and got tickets and were there last night. i hate them! hahaha.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a similar situation in Detroit, it was pretty much packed at Pine Knob (the old name for the venue), and Bruce commented on how the state of touring in the US has dipped considerably (for all musical acts, partly due to the economy and such), yet this was the biggest crowd he's seen in Detroit, and that they've been seeing great crowds all tour, and also The Final Frontier was #3 on Amazon (just checked and it's at #6, pretty good for a preorder). But yeah, just an amazing concert, those guys give their all, especially Bruce running around like a maniac. He pulled off this beanie cap at the end of the gig, swung it around in the air, and a HUGE fantail of sweat goes flying :lol: A couple highlights had to be Blood Brothers (dedicated to Dio) and Fear Of The Dark (everyone singing)...oh and the gigantic alien Eddie walking on stage :)

Lots of people are bringing their kids too.
Not sure about other folks, but in my area there were quite a few folks who brought their children.

Also, word of mouth doesn't hurt either.
Ever since they came back, everyone raves about Maiden's live show, and how it's a band you have to see at least once.

I think as Neil said, it's not even just younger folks who are seeing them for the first time. There are old rock and metal fans who might just finally be getting around to seeing them.

As much as I love Priest, if Halford got in better shape and didn't bury his face in a teleprompter, they might draw such numbers as well. :)

It was a similar situation in Detroit, it was pretty much packed at Pine Knob ....

I was very pleased with this venue the sound was amaizing anywhere I stood. It was also funny to see Nicko go into the wrong song and have Bruce completely crack up about it haha.

they refuse to come to North Carolina so i never get to see them, but the lucky bastards in COLOSSUS had a day off on their tour and got tickets and were there last night. i hate them! hahaha.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_CDE1CfYDo

Duuuuuude. I saw Colossus open for Slough Feg at the Milestone Club in Charlotte a few years ago. One of the more impressive opening acts that I've never heard of before getting to a show before. Still have their t-shirt and demo CD. Need to pick something more substantial up. Those guys were great!

I was very pleased with this venue the sound was amaizing anywhere I stood. It was also funny to see Nicko go into the wrong song and have Bruce completely crack up about it haha.

Without even being there, I would bet any amount of money that the sound and mix was 100000000000X superior to First Midwest Bank Craptheater.

Without even being there, I would bet any amount of money that the sound and mix was 100000000000X superior to First Midwest Bank Craptheater.

My phone on speaker has better sound than this shitty ass venue. I really really hope I don't ever have to go to a show here ever again.

Oh, and about the attendance thing....
What was the magic number? Was it 18K????

I was thinking about this. The "seated" capacity of Allstate Arena (Rosemont Horizon for us old farts) is 18.5K.

The last two Maiden shows which were pretty near to sold out had the floor WIDE open, which meant it held more than what would be there if there were seats.

Therefore, a sold out show from last tour (well, it certainly looked sold out), would have been more than 18K.

Maybe this figure was generated by advance paid tickets or something.

Either way, yes, it was quite a site to see, all the way up the lawn.

See Jose!!! We could get along..... :loco:

Were you with Al?
Did he have to change his drawers after seeing James LaBrie perform?
Isn't that his boy?

No I had my own group, I saw Al and Joan walking in and we yelled at them but didn't see 'em after that. I don't think I've ever been to a show where most of the people I know were there (metal wise). Definetly nice to see that.

No I had my own group, I saw Al and Joan walking in and we yelled at them but didn't see 'em after that. I don't think I've ever been to a show where most of the people I know were there (metal wise). Definetly nice to see that.

Yeah....the sound was so muddy. I thought the sound guy from the Pearl Room was working there last night.

It was so odd not to see anyone I knew from shows or forums. I only Saw Chris, Jen and Rachel. But that was it. I had a co-worker sitting like 5 rows behind me and I didnt even know it. It was a great night weather and turnout wise.