Is the death of the CD looming?

Saladbar

Jose Saladbar
Feb 12, 2007
Elgin, IL
Thought this would create some discussion, don't know if it belongs here on on the lounge. Feel free to move.

Personally I gave up buying CDs almost 2 years ago and have been buying downloads from various places, mostly Amazon. If I do buy a CD it's because it is not available as an MP3 download and I really want the music. I am still having problems selling most of my CDs cause no one seems to want them anymore.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/19/cd.digital.sales/index.html?hpt=C1

(CNN) -- If you think the musical compact disc is dying or dead, you're probably younger than it is.
"Show me a teenager buying a Susan Boyle album on CD and I'll show you someone buying a gift for their grandparent -- for Christmas," jokes Billboard senior chart manager and analyst Keith Caulfield. "There is definitely an age component to the consumption of music."
As the music industry as a whole struggles in a down economy and direct download business models like iTunes flourish, the compact disc -- which was commercially introduced in 1982 -- has the appearance of going the way of vinyl.
And contrary to the recent declaration of singer Prince -- who said that the Internet is dead and released his latest CD for free via European newspapers -- there's some evidence that consumers aren't as enamored with ripping the cellophane off that new CD as they once were.
According to data from Nielsen SoundScan, in 2007 CDs accounted for 90 percent of album sales in the United States, with digital accounting for the other 10 percent. Just two years later, that number had shifted to 79 percent CDs and 20 percent digital, with the remaining percentage point being made up of vinyl and other media.
Billboard's Caulfield said that so far this year, about 44 million digital albums have been sold, compared with 40 million during the same time frame last year. But while digital sales have increased slightly, CD sales have dropped from 147 million last year to 114 million this year for the same time period.
Caulfield stops short of speculating on a date when CDs might be phased out, but he does see similarities with the history of other media.
"Vinyl was the predominant configuration from the '50s and the '60s all the way up through the early '80s, and then cassettes became the predominant format from the early-mid '80s to the very early '90s," he said. "Then CDs became the predominant format and cassettes really didn't go away until a few years ago. It's kind of a natural progression, to a degree."
That's not to say that some artists aren't still selling well. Country group Lady Antebellum has so far racked up 2.4 million in album sales -- both CD and digital -- making them the top-selling act so far for 2010. In second place is teen phenom Justin Bieber, with 1.4 million.
"When an artist like a Drake or Eminem sells a bunch of albums, that shows that there are a lot of people that really want to spend money and give money to the artist that they are really, truly a fan of," Caulfield said. "The younger an artist skews in terms of who they appeal to, you'll see a larger share of their album sales tilt towards digital."
One obvious benefit of digital downloads is their ability to scratch an immediate itch. Caulfield observes shows like Fox's "Glee" make songs almost instant hits because "they have already heard and liked the song by the time they download it." Paul Grein, who writes the "Chart Watch" column for Yahoo.com, agrees, seeing hope for the music business in the success of "Glee" and "American Idol," which have helped spike downloads.
Despite the CD's decline, Grein believes the format will be around for the foreseeable future.
"I think it's becoming less of a mass-market item and kind of a niche product that caters to a small but loyal following," he said. "But there are enough cases where we are seeing albums that are selling in big numbers that I think they will be around for a while." Younger-skewing artists, such as singer-rapper Ke$ha, enjoy a larger slice of the digital pie than older-skewing artists such as James Taylor, he says.
Indeed, the format isn't the point, he said. In 100 years, recorded music has gone from cylinders to shellac 78s to vinyl LPs to cassettes, CDs and now digital downloads. Through it all, listeners still crave tunes.
"Music is definitely still in fashion," he said. "It's all around us."

I have no personal sentimental connection to CDs. As long as MUSIC remains available, I'll be happy. I buy a lot of both vinyl and digital downloads. CDs are kind of like a wavering middle ground - a physical medium containing digital content.

I believe the "death" of the CD will happen in my lifetime, but probably not within the next decade.

I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened sooner. I would have also thought DVD would have been replacing CDs in some aspects. More and more DVD players are in cars that can play music. How cool would it be to be able to by the complete works of an artist on one disc?

Purists argue that mp3 doesn't sound as good as an album, but the majority of the population can't tell the difference unless it's a very low bit rate. I personally don't rip anything less than 192 / 320. I can hear a difference at 128, or the voice in my head says I do.

In my current situation I've been buying more albums digitally simply because it is a lot cheaper. $6.99 on Amazon versus $14.99 at Best Buy? Sold.

It's been more than 5 years now since I last bought a CD, so obviously I haven't missed 'em. Like a recovering alcoholic and his last drink, I know that it was Labyrinth's 'Return to Heaven Denied' and The Old Dead Tree's 'The Nameless Disease'.

However, since there are still very few albums that *don't* get a CD release, and still things that are released *only* on CD (no electronic equivalent, much to my chagrin), I think the final demise of the CD is farther away that most pundits think. So this was actually one of the most reasonable articles I've seen on the topic, particularly when the guy noted how long it took cassettes to finally die. And the age differences are a good point too. Eventually stuff will be released in electronic-only formats, but that will initially happen with music for young people. For music that old people like, labels will continue to release it on CD, perhaps until those people die off, or at least until they stop buying music in quantities that matter.

I've been away from the CD format for so long that when I see someone outside a show handing out CDs from their band, I think "Seriously? A CD?! What decade do you think this is? What the heck am I supposed to do with that?" But, they hand 'em out, so people must still take them.

Neil

I don't think we'll see CDs go bye for a very long time.

There are lots of people in their late 40's and up that aren't hip to the internet and downloading music let alone paying for it online. They have CD players and will continue to buy CDs.

I won't stop buying CDs. I think it'll be a damn shame if they ever fade away. I don't make a "connection" to an album until I hold it in my hands. I never truely feel like I own a downloaded album (I've yet to buy an internet album). I think it comes down to the fact that because I bought and now hold an album in my hands, I invest and spend time with the album so I make sure I get my moneys worth.

Sure I could pay for an internet album, but it's just not the same to me. No artwork or liner notes and lyrics...just doesn't seem fun.

I don't think we'll see CDs go bye for a very long time.

There are lots of people in their late 40's and up that aren't hip to the internet and downloading music let alone paying for it online. They have CD players and will continue to buy CDs.

I won't stop buying CDs. I think it'll be a damn shame if they ever fade away. I don't make a "connection" to an album until I hold it in my hands. I never truely feel like I own a downloaded album (I've yet to buy an internet album). I think it comes down to the fact that because I bought and now hold an album in my hands, I invest and spend time with the album so I make sure I get my moneys worth.

Sure I could pay for an internet album, but it's just not the same to me. No artwork or liner notes and lyrics...just doesn't seem fun.

I agree. I still say we're getting way too ahead of ourselves. I think until the end of time there will always be a physical format no matter what form that might take. The older people and people sans internet (yes there are still people like that) will need a way to get music. As for quantities of physical formats, that will diminish, but I just don't see it completely going away. I still refuse to buy anything digitally. It just isn't the same to me.

Funny .. went in to Bust Buy today and bought my Mom some CDs for her birthday. It's the first time I've been in Best Buy in a very long time. I rarely buy CDs any longer ... shifted to the digital stuff a year or so ago.

I will still buy CDs from my favorite bands ... just bought the most recent from Vanden Plas, Nevermore, and Overkill. The amount of CDs I buy is in major decline.

I'm still not totally satisfied with buying digital .. I eagerly await the day when the tracks I buy come with embedded lyrics, and all the art work and credits are easily workable on my Ipod. We're getting closer with the digital album idea, but it's not where I would like it to be for complete satisfaction.

Britt

Guess I'm on the middle ground. I buy MP3s and then immediately burn the album to a CD in the traditional CD format. Still hooked on having something in my hand I guess.

Here's another question kinda related. Does anyone still have their casette tapes? :). I still have mind, but I'm torn whether or not I should just throw them away or keep them for memory purposes.....
I mean, who still plays these things?? I know that nobody on ebay would want them.

I have all of my cassettes, still. There are a few nice local-band demos and such in there, and it's not as if they're taking up THAT much room..... Ditto for my wonderful collection of VHS tapes. Happily, I never bought a laserdisc player. :lol:

As for CDs.... Sales will continue to decline, fairly slowly, but brick-and-mortar stores will get out of the business sooner...already we're seeing it. Seems like the number of CD shelves at my local Best Buy declines by one every few months, replaced by more space for Blu-Ray discs.

Hmm, how long until the regular-format DVD becomes obsolete? :heh:

Here's another question kinda related. Does anyone still have their casette tapes? :). I still have mind, but I'm torn whether or not I should just throw them away or keep them for memory purposes.....
I mean, who still plays these things?? I know that nobody on ebay would want them.

funny you mention this. I have all my tapes still from the 80's. Hundreds of them actually. My car still only had a tape player in it so I always had to transfer CD to cassette tape up until last week when my 17 year old car finally died. I got a new car last weekend and it has a CD player and an MP3 encoder so I am up to the current times finally. I will hang on to my tapes still until I am completely out of room in my place.

I guess if you are going to listen to the cassettes it's a good reason to keep them. But with me, since I know I'm never ever going to listen to them, I feel why keep them.....

I haven't bought a cd in at least 5 years and l'm in my 40s. Digital is just so much easier to manage and cheaper. I've got tons of cds that will probably never get played again. Cds are extinct and don't know it yet. Going the way of the cassette.

The closest I've ever got to paying for a download was when I donated (voluntarily) a good 10 dollars for one Anathema song... ahha they needed funds to keep working on their album. ahahhahah

I will keep buying CDs...

I still buy lots of CDs and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon for two reasons. One: I can't use MP3 players at work. Two: Until stuff gets regularly released in a lossless format, I don't want to encourage the music industry to give us a lesser quality product than what came before.

Also, it is kinda hard to support a local band that you like with just digital downloads. If you want to take the music home with you after the show, you have to have it on something, and CDs are still the cheapest medium for that.

CD sales is tied to the amount of existing CD compatible player equipment, like home stereo/studio, car radio/cd players and portable players. In the 80's cassette sales boomed when all kids carried Walkmans (remember, the C-cassette type) around, in the 90's Walkmans changed into CD players and disc sales boomed. Then came mp3 along with iPods and a mp3 player in every cellphone.

Record labels complain about declining sales numbers and accuse people for illegal downloading, even though it is obvious that they bark (at least partially) at the wrong tree. It's the manufacturers of player devices who decide which media format the masses will prefer. We all know that people are lazy, so the smaller devices and virtual (didgital) music will win because of their convenience. And when parents buy their kids an iPod or similar for the first media player it also means that the kid won't ever get familiar with CDs and hardly will buy any in his/her later days.

I see the near future getting us rid of individual meadiaplayers like iPods and the players integrated in one all-around device which connects to internet anywhere and includes a powerful processor and enough memory to replace a laptop, phone and whatnot else. Today we already have internet services like Spotify and Nokia Ovi where you can download all the music you want for a few bucks a month fee and keep it when you quit the service.

That said, the CD will stay with us for decades, just like vinyl has, because there will always be people who want to use their home studios' capacity to the max and enjoy the music as natural it was meant to be when recorded. This hi-fi level cannot be ever reached with listening packed mp3 files through the pisspoor three-penny earphones that come along iPods and phones.

-my 2 cents-

As a kid going to the Video Store was something special for me and my brother,and I know that very soon all rental video stores will be going out of business, places like Video Warehouse,Blockbuster,Movie Gallery have all started closing locations ,because of Netflix,Redbox and so many other ways to get videos cheaper that renting them. That is sad to me because like I said going to the video store was always so cool even into my 20's. There was also a time when I loved buying and collecting cds,and I have a lot of them,now I just put the cds onto my computer,load them onto the mp3 player and the cds are just sitting in the corner of the gameroom. It's very hard to keep spending money when there are so many cheaper options to getting music or movies,like the internet,and if u really wanted to u could just listen to whole albums on youtube. I have to say I think cds will be like Vhs tapes,keep going for a while but slowly fade away,right now I get music on my zune,the last cds I bought were the ones for the bands coming to this years ppusa so I can get the bands to sign them. Sometimes I will buy sometimes not. Yes I do have Netflix,and it does kickass because I own like a billion dvd's and think why do I own all the crap what does it really matter, if i hear it or see it im happy,i really need to stop filling my house with stupid shit. Anyway you guys get what Im saying.