Nice To See That Some Rock Stars Actually Know How The Music Industry Works...

Nov 6, 2007
Mike Snider of USA Today reports: DRAGONFORCE guitarist Herman Li and his speed metal bandmates used to play the video game Guitar Hero. Now, fans are flocking to the band after finding their song "Through the Fire and Flames" in the latest installment of the game, Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock.

"Our CD sales have gone up, and we are high up the charts on digital downloads," Li says. "It's great. We don't play commercial music. It took everyone by surprise."

More fans were converted last month when Ellen DeGeneres invited a young Guitar Hero expert onto her talk show to play DRAGONFORCE's song, considered to be the toughest of all songs to play.

"Somehow it seems our music really connects with the younger generation, gamers and non-gamers," says Li, 29. "This is a game that is driving music sales when everybody is complaining about the video game industry taking money from movies and music."

The Guitar Hero effect is real. DRAGONFORCE saw digital sales of "Through the Fire" rise from fewer than 2,000 weekly to a high of 37,825 the week ending Dec. 30, a week when many who got the game as a holiday gift were playing it. (Only one GH III song sold more, GUNS N' ROSES' "Welcome to the Jungle" at 38,330.)

"Somehow it seems our music really connects with the younger generation, gamers and non-gamers," says Li, 29. "This is a game that is driving music sales when everybody is complaining about the video game industry taking money from movies and music."
Perhaps it's because your music sounds like the Mario Brothers. :lol:

In all seriousness, I just wish the last two Dragonforce albums didn't sound pretty much identical, but then maybe that's all the minds of this "younger generation" can handle. Dragonforce saw something that was popular (Guitar Hero) and co-branded with it. More power to them for tapping into to a market that doesn't know any better. :loco:

Perhaps it's because your music sounds like the Mario Brothers. :lol:

In all seriousness, I just wish the last two Dragonforce albums didn't sound pretty much identical, but then maybe that's all the minds of this "younger generation" can handle. Dragonforce saw something that was popular (Guitar Hero) and co-branded with it. More power to them for tapping into to a market that doesn't know any better. :loco:

why are you so condescending to people who enjoy dragonforce?

For those who follow power metal, we consider Dragonforce to be more of a background noise maker. (Yes, I own their CDs, but I don't spin them very often).

For those who don't follow power metal, they are considered to be "new" because power metal doesn't get much airplay on commercial radio.

As most of us who follow power metal on a regular basis, we know that there is more to power metal than just playing really really fast! :lol:

For those interested:

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y5a5aqkRcsQ[/ame]

And also, the quite obvious Dragonforce Mock video:

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=MIleK5CRcjo[/ame]

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I would be far more impressed if he could have played the real song on a real guitar. I don't mean any disrespect to the kid on the show - that was fun to watch.

I am a video gamer myself who has completed Guitar Hero III on easy only. While impressive, where can that take him? It's great that Guitar Hero is helping to bring back some good music to the masses (some quality 80's metal for one), but I can't get too excited over a kid who spends 3 hours a day playing a video game. My 12 year old has completed the Dragonforce tune on expert, and while cool to watch, it's not nearly as impressive as him working through a Randy Rhoads solo on his guitar (which he can do also). The time spent on that guitar shaped object might take him somewhere, where the Guitar Hero controller won't.

I'm reminded of Cartman - "Real guitars are for old people..." - which sounds wrong to me...

If by suck you mean best live band ever then yes...

I never understand why people who dont play GH condescend the people who do, dumbest thing ive ever read

I think you misspelled worst. :lol:

Ok, first of all, stop trolling. It's annoying when you have nothing to contribute except stupid useless dribble. It's very clear in his post that he DOES (or has) play(ed) Guitar Hero.

I am a video gamer myself who has completed Guitar Hero III on easy only. While impressive, where can that take him? The time spent on that guitar shaped object might take him somewhere, where the Guitar Hero controller won't.

This kid has about equal chances to hit it big playing a real guitar as he does playing a video game guitar. There are actually Professional Gamers that compete in leagues. Have you ever seen a Starcraft competition in South Korea? The players are bigger than Rockstars. So, there you have it, that is where playing a video game COULD take him.

also: Apparently, it also gets him on National Television and dozens of extremely impressed people in a live audience. I bet Dragonforce wished their concerts sounded so lively.

Of course, he's like, 10. God forbid he's having fun now instead of learning valuable skills that can aid him in being a cube rat 40 hours a week for 60 years, right? People are so wrapped up in being adults, they forget what it's like being a kid, it seems.

Because some power metal fans are scenesters who see Dragonforce as a threat to the exclusivity of their favorite genre. See they used to love Dragonforce. But then, despite not changing their sound, they sold out and became big. Nowthey don't even admit to liking their past albums, nor wanting the band to play at ProgPower in the past. Now everything they have done apparently sucks to them. And anybody that listens to it doesn't know better. Apparently including themselves.

I think you misspelled worst. :lol:

Ok, first of all, stop trolling. It's annoying when you have nothing to contribute except stupid useless dribble. It's very clear in his post that he DOES (or has) play(ed) Guitar Hero.

why do you tell me to stop and then you reply to him in the same way?

Stuff.... But then, despite not changing their sound, they sold out and became big. more stuff....

at ALL, it would seem. As for the rest of it...

:lol: ... welcome to the metal world.

I don't mind Dragonforce. They're entertaining, but I have to admit I hadn't heard of them until they were everywhere. I don't actually own any of their albums which their singular song seems to span, but I wouldn't be opposed to picking one up should it find it's way into my possession somehow. They're extremely entertaining, if not somewhat talented.