Nice To See That Some Rock Stars Actually Know How The Music Industry Works...

For those who follow power metal, we consider Dragonforce to be more of a background noise maker. (Yes, I own their CDs, but I don't spin them very often).

For those who don't follow power metal, they are considered to be "new" because power metal doesn't get much airplay on commercial radio.

As most of us who follow power metal on a regular basis, we know that there is more to power metal than just playing really really fast! :lol:
This generally sums up how I feel. I don't think Dragonforce is bad or untalented, I just think that they get a lot of credit in a genre that has been around a lot longer than they have and has been forged and re-forged by bands that are 10x better. I don't think Dragonforce is anything revolutionary, just popular. Just cause you can play fast, doesn't make you the greatest band/guitar player ever, at least not IMO, but a lot of folks see Dragonforce that way because they are well-promoted and have co-branded with things (like Guitar Hero) that have put them in place in popular culture.
Because they suck?
I never said that.
Because some power metal fans are scenesters who see Dragonforce as a threat to the exclusivity of their favorite genre. See they used to love Dragonforce. But then, despite not changing their sound, they sold out and became big. Nowthey don't even admit to liking their past albums, nor wanting the band to play at ProgPower in the past. Now everything they have done apparently sucks to them. And anybody that listens to it doesn't know better. Apparently including themselves.
I didn't say that either. If Dragonforce gets more people interested in metal, fine. I just wish that some/most of those people would realize that there is more and better stuff to the genre than what Dragonforce is putting out there. I also don't necessarily equate a bands change in sound with "selling out." A band can change their sound and progress in their writing, or they can do it to appeal to a specific market. I believe I only mentioned the last two albums sounding the same, which would indicate that they are not really changing. I've never requested Dragonforce for ProgPower. The folks who listen and don't know any better are the young kids who think they know what metal is all about because they heard Dragonforce on Guitar Hero and thought they found a new genre of music (... a genre that has been around for decades), so they go out to Hot Topic and buy a Dragonforce CD because that's the cool thing to do. Like I said more power to Dragonforce for tapping into a market that's going to go out and buy your shit, but not bother to look for someone/some band who does what you do only better.

I realize neither you nor DoomsdayZach may have been intending to put words in my mouth, but since rms seemed to initially direct that question at me, I wanted him to be clear that those opinions are yours and I make no claim to them.
Very true. So many bitch and moan about "their" metal never getting the proper recognition. Dragonforce gains success and predictably they become garbage because, as we all know, metal can't involve any success whatsoever.
I have no problem with the bands I like getting commercial success (although I don't like to see them change from something I enjoy to something I feel is a lower quality to cater to the masses that will give them commercial success), but I don't think I'd ever even heard of Dragonforce before they gained commercial success.
If we dug back for the past 5 or 6 years, DF were on almost EVERYONE's list for Prog Power "wishlist" bands....
I think you making a gross generalization. As I said, I'd barely if ever even heard of Dragonforce before they became commercially successful. And as far as I can remember, (since PP5) I have never put them anywhere on my request list for the roster and I don't really recall a whole slew of people requesting Dragonsforce, except maybe a few with :lol: next to them as a joke. Maybe there were a few sincere requests for them before my time on the forum, but I don't recall seeing a whole lot of demand for them over the last 4-5 years. Could just be my memory...
Goddamnit, if you're going to listen to a band like this, Cellador. Better singer, better and memorable songs, they can play live... man, fuck dragonforce. Popularity has nothing to do with it. Only posers let popularity change their opinion on things.
And they are the reason I pretty much stopped listening to Dragonforce. Shortly after I had started listening to Dragonforce, Nick had discovered Cellador and turned me on to them. After hearing their first album (which IMHO does not sound like the same song over and over), I didn't really have any desire to go back to Inhuman Rampage (which IMHO does sound like the same song over again).

Dragonforce - UK - Mario + NB + more talent = Cellador
This is the first time I actually saw Guitar Hero being played. Yes, I'm the biggest loser on this forum. :cry:
No, I think that means you actually have a life. :lol: I've seen Guitar Hero played. I've attempted to play it (although my video game skills are null). I'll admit that some of the music they've selected for the game is pretty cool, but I could give a shit less about how well some kid can play a video game. As someone else on hear already stated, I'd rather watch, and would be more impressed, by someone who can actually play a *gasp* real guitar. :headbang:

I think you making a gross generalization. As I said, I'd barely if ever even heard of Dragonforce before they became commercially successful. And as far as I can remember, (since PP5) I have never put them anywhere on my request list for the roster and I don't really recall a whole slew of people requesting Dragonsforce, except maybe a few with :lol: next to them as a joke. Maybe there were a few sincere requests for them before my time on the forum, but I don't recall seeing a whole lot of demand for them over the last 4-5 years. Could just be my memory...

Jasonic's statement is correct, and hardly a "gross generalization."

This is the list of requests for PPUSA VII compiled shortly after PPUSA VI.

This is the list of requests for PPUSA VIII compiled shortly after PPUSA VII.

Clearly they were once highly thought of here on this forum. They were certainly discussed rather frequently in the last 4-5 years, although not as much in the last two years.

Dragonforce became very popular in the summer prior to PPUSA VIII. They headlined a very successful US tour which sold out the Masquerade here in Atl. They also made several television appearances, and their merchandise appeard in Hot Topic.

Their drop in popularity on this board exactly corresponds with their increased commercial success, which is no coincidence. As others have stated, when they became successful the band that had the most buzz on this forum almost immediately became the band that supposedly "no one" here "ever" liked.

Jasonic's statement is correct, and hardly a "gross generalization."

This is the list of requests for PPUSA VII compiled shortly after PPUSA VI.

This is the list of requests for PPUSA VIII compiled shortly after PPUSA VII.

Clearly they were once highly thought of here on this forum. They were certainly discussed rather frequently in the last 4-5 years, although not as much in the last two years.

Dragonforce became very popular in the summer prior to PPUSA VIII. They headlined a very successful US tour which sold out the Masquerade here in Atl. They also made several television appearances, and their merchandise appeard in Hot Topic.

Their drop in popularity on this board exactly corresponds with their increased commercial success, which is no coincidence. As others have stated, when they became successful the band that had the most buzz on this forum almost immediately became the band that supposedly "no one" here "ever" liked.

Well done, Magius.:headbang:

For me, as previously stated, the problem is every album sounds the same.

The greatest hits video is hysterical, but also true in showing why it is hard to listen to a DF album all the way through. I blame my not caring for them anymore on that.

There is definitely people who view it as the sell-out mentality though. I wouldn't be surprised if Nightwish hit that one day

I dunno. It's like saying Iron Maiden isn't popular with this board because people don't make a ton of requests for the band to play. I'm not going to request bands that I pretty much know are out of Glenn's reach and especially ones that I can see on a normal US tour 10 minutes from my house. Dragonforce also went quickly from being a band within his budget to not. Why waste a lot of money on a band that likely won't grab as many people. Morgana Lefay also went from 13 requests to 2. I haven't heard a whole lot of talk about them selling out. If a band tours a lot here, I don't want them taking up a spot on the festival unless it's a special show no matter how much I like them to begin with.

How many "Morgana LeFay Sucks" post have you seen lately? The point isn't how many requests the band has. The point is that a band that was popular enough to rank 1st in requests is now degraded on a regular basis.

How many "Morgana LeFay Sucks" post have you seen lately? The point isn't how many requests the band has. The point is that a band that was popular enough to rank 1st in requests is now degraded on a regular basis.
Isn't it possible that the people you are saying have said Dragonforce sucks (or who just simply don't like/prefer them) are not the same people who previously requested them? That might be why you are seeing opinions that conflict with your request numbers.

Isn't it possible that the people you are saying have said Dragonforce sucks (or who just simply don't like/prefer them) are not the same people who previously requested them? That might be why you are seeing opinions that conflict with your request numbers.

There are some new members that were not here in the pre-success days that contribute exactly as you say. However, the membership in this forum hasn't changed drastically since then, and many are still here who were here at the time. The newer members aren't enough to sway the general opinion greatly.

Neither does the current membership explain the change in attitude among an almost identical membership pool within one year, which happened before they joined. This is hardly the first thread regarding DragonForce since 2006, and few of them since then have been complimentary.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if, while performing life, every time the Dragonforce guys missed a note, they'd get that awful "PLOINK" sound?

There would be a lot of "PLOINK"ing. :heh:

I know - I was just reminded of it. Actually, that was a great South Park episode. I love the acoustic "Guitar Hero" at the outdoor cafe...

"Wow! I -love- that song!" :lol:

I agree with Magius and Cheiron here, I think. There is no question that as DF's notoriety has increased, their 'curb appeal' here has decreased.

As for me, I like them as much as I like any other really speedy power-metal band.