Meshuggah Talks S*#% On Nightwish

Meshuggah>>>>>>>>>>>Nightwish

It's funny that everyone and their sisters in the USA hanging at the Blabberass seem to know how Meshuggah are the genuine metalheads with the attitude, how tr00 metal they are up (or should I say down?) to their bollocks, how they are the flagbearers of metal and all bullshit, but yet fail to name a track from them when asked.

For those who aren't aware: appearing mean and scary, using harsh language and criticizing other metalbands belong to Meshuggah's public image, so who cares. There are actually this flock of self declared "tr00 metal attitude" bands in Sweden who use belittling others as their main means of building their own image. Those of you who know Lord K (The Project Hate MCMXCIX, Torture Division) and his continuous blurbs on his Global Domination website will also know whom I'm talking about. But remember though, these guys and their tr00 attitude must be taken with a grain of salt. When you turn your back to them they hardly can hide their wide grin any further so it's all cool.

He sounds like one of the elitist music rumps I have to deal with on this forum (as a whole, not PPUSA) all too often. It's his personal opinion, I can totally respect that, but absolutely disagree with it.

For those who aren't aware: appearing mean and scary, using harsh language and criticizing other metalbands belong to Meshuggah's public image, so who cares. There are actually this flock of self declared "tr00 metal attitude" bands in Sweden who use belittling others as their main means of building their own image.

Except that's not the image or the attitude the guy or the band cultivates at all. Not in the slightest.

It's closed-minded because while he may admit that they might be good, he's essentially saying that he'd rather that they and bands like them didn't exist at all.

No...he's essentially saying that a band doesn't fit a certain genre. End of story.

Stop reading into this so much.

Oh, leave Hagstrom alone. He is just jealous that he cannot write like Holopainen when Holopainen is unconscious, never mind when Tuomas is wide awake. :heh:

Oh, leave Hagstrom alone. He is just jealous that he cannot write like Holopainen when Holopainen is unconscious, never mind when Tuomas is wide awake. :heh:

Hah, yeah okay. Hagstrom only has like two of the most influential metal albums under his belt already. (Destroy Erase Improve and Nothing)

I'm an obvious Meshuggah fanboy, yeah, but it's pretty much the truth.

Except for the fact that most of everything that Hagstrom writes with ONE instrument completely dwarfs everything that Holopainen writes with many... Just throwing that out there... Nightwish is a fine band, don't get me wrong, but if you put their talent musically up against Meshuggah's, it's no contest, Meshuggah would win every time.

And at the end of the day Meshuggah is sitting right next to Nightwish at Hot Topic. With a ton less records sold worldwide. So maybe anyone in Meshuggah who is on a high horse should step right off and get over themselves. I hate when whiny bands talk shit like they're somehow different than the next band. Bottom line: We're all geeks and outcasts, we all play/listen to some type of metal (pop, death, black, otherwise) and just because you do something differently doesn't mean you do something better.

The End.

It's funny that everyone and their sisters in the USA hanging at the Blabberass seem to know how Meshuggah are the genuine metalheads with the attitude, how tr00 metal they are up (or should I say down?) to their bollocks, how they are the flagbearers of metal and all bullshit, but yet fail to name a track from them when asked.
Bleed, obZen, Lethargic

Just off the top of my head, I can list more if you want me to pull out my record... I think your statement is a sweeping generalization, just like many other points in this thread.

Sahara, Dark Passion Play, Once, End Of All Hope, Wish I Had An Angel
(Haha, off the top of my head I guess I can name more Nightwish songs than meshuggah.)

(don't read into that too much, by no means do I think Nightwish is better than Meshuggah, or visa versa)

Just in case anyone wants to listen to Hagstrom actually talk about his music and his approach so people don't think he's on some high horse. http://www.metalkult.com/videos/meshuggah/#more-1015

As for record sales worldwide, that's where you'd have to look, because Meshuggah is kicking Nightwish's ass if you look at the Billboard Top 200 data. I think Oricon (Japan) too. I don't know anything about European chart data.

Just to add more to the debate, and for the few who even care, Meshuggah's "obZen" is rated higher than Nightwish's "Dark Passion Play" on the Metal Storm rankings.

Just to add more to the debate, and for the few who even care, Meshuggah's "obZen" is rated higher than Nightwish's "Dark Passion Play" on the Metal Storm rankings.

Because there are exactly two good songs on DPP, that would be Poet and the Pendulum and Master Passion Greed, as for obZen, it kicks my ass from beginning to end. Live is the same story as well. Nightwish damn near bores me to tears live, although Annette did bring more to the band and makes them watchable, where as Tarja was just plain bland. Meshuggah was one of the best live bands I have ever seen.

Because there are exactly two good songs on DPP, that would be Poet and the Pendulum and Master Passion Greed, as for obZen, it kicks my ass from beginning to end. Live is the same story as well. Nightwish damn near bores me to tears live, although Annette did bring more to the band and makes them watchable, where as Tarja was just plain bland. Meshuggah was one of the best live bands I have ever seen.

I agree. I went to see Cynic, but Meshuggah was amazing. They really know how to get the crowd into their music.

obZen also debuted on the Top 200 @ #59 and in November broke 50k sales (god knows how many more downloads). They set pre-release download records on myspace as well.

Nightwish's last album and only Billboard Top 200 charting album (Meshuggah's last three have) entered at #84.

Not to distract us from the fact that Nightwish is HUGE in Europe. There's pretty extensive chart data here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightwish_discography
But so is (was?) David Hasselhoff. :)