Meshuggah Talks S*#% On Nightwish

obZen also debuted on the Top 200 @ #59 and in November broke 50k sales (god knows how many more downloads). They set pre-release download records on myspace as well.

Nightwish's last album and only Billboard Top 200 charting album (Meshuggah's last three have) entered at #84.

Not to distract us from the fact that Nightwish is HUGE in Europe. There's pretty extensive chart data here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightwish_discography
But so is (was?) David Hasselhoff. :)

So you are saying we need to start a petition to have David Hasselhoff front Nigthwish?

I saw The End of an Era dvd by Nightwish and that concert is as metal as Hannah Montana. Tarja was a joke (she looked and acted like your average pop diva), and the audience was a joke (they looked like the audience for the Mickey Mouse Club). Like I've said somewhere else most of these female fronted bands are killing the integrity of the genere, much like hair metal bands did back in the day.

LAWL at all the people saying how Haagstrom is "jealous" of power pop bands. There isn't a band in the fucking world right now that can lick Meshuggah's nutsack, both in musicianship and music.

At the margin of the main subject. I never will understand why sometimes musicians have to bash one on another. I mean if I don't like the music I just either shut up or say sorry it's not my thing. No need to be ugly and harsh, just concentrate on what you do and left the rest alone. Plain silly attitude IMO for a grown up musician.

I saw The End of an Era dvd by Nightwish and that concert is as metal as Hannah Montana

Hey! Hannah Montana rocks hard!

Seriously though, if Nightwish isn't metal, what is? Are we going to make the AOR/hard rock genre ever wider, containing bands from Air Supply to Dragonforce, and limit metal only to bands that spit blood on stage?

Those can be very refreshing

Yes, indeed. When I opened my eyes, I felt peaceful and refreshed.

</Nicholas>

:lol:

As for the Meshuggah/Nightwish thing.... I guess the saddest part (to me) is realizing that, contrary to what I'd been hoping, some European metallers subscribe to the same stupid, divisive "metal compartmentalization" way of thinking that I thought only American metalheads were prone to.

It's comforting, and yet depressing, to find that sort of pigeonholing stupidity also exists in Europe.

As for the Meshuggah/Nightwish thing.... I guess the saddest part (to me) is realizing that, contrary to what I'd been hoping, some European metallers subscribe to the same stupid, divisive "metal compartmentalization" way of thinking that I thought only American metalheads were prone to.

It's comforting, and yet depressing, to find that sort of pigeonholing stupidity also exists in Europe.
Heh, stupidity isn't only reserved for Americans, we've got our share of it here ...even though I wouldn't mind if bands like Meshuggah would sell it all to you guys over there. :p

The depressing part comes from the fact that certain musically great and even inventive bands use the "tr00 metal" factor including bashing and belittling others as their main marketing gimmick.

And even worse: There are ignorant kids and narrowminded older metalheads who cant' make the difference between this made up "metal attitude" and the real world.

...hmm... maybe I should start selling Tr00 metal coolness™ in cans and bags. :p

I'm not quite sure what the big deal is. Regardless of what Hagström says, it amounts to nothing more than his opinion. And to be honest, I wasn't even aware rhythm guitar players were allowed opinions. I was under the impression opinions were strictly the domain of lead guitar players and singers. None the less, he wasn't critical of Nightwish's music. He merely stated their style is not what he considers Metal. I think everyone has their own line in the sand, delineating where Metal begins and ends. For example, very few people would suggest Soilwork's Natural Born Chaos isn't Metal. However, many people would tell you Trivium's Ascendancy isn't. The uninitiated would likely have no clue what separates these two discs. Yet, plenty of folks on this board would draw that line.

Am I surprised that musicians involved in the more extreme Metal genres don't view Nightwish as Metal? Not even a little. If we're being fair, the melodies Nightwish employs, share more common ground with Pop Music than they do with Black or Death Metal.

Zod

And to be honest, I wasn't even aware rhythm guitar players were allowed opinions. I was under the impression opinions were strictly the domain of lead guitar players and singers.
No, they're not. I find it hilarious that anyone considers his opinion remotely relevant. What I find, mildly (very mildly) disturbing is that Markus "might" have actually agreed with him. NB selling out by signing Nightwish? Gee, like they only sign one genre of metal? Didn't they start out promoting punk? It's a business - sign what sells. I'm a NW fan, for sure, but to have Markus agree with a statement like this is just dumb. But, then who knows if he actually did?