Meshuggah Talks S*#% On Nightwish

She cried on stage? Really? Why? Jeez..
Official word was that the smoke machine was misplaced and blowing in her face causing her voice to suffer, which obviously upset her. Unofficially, there were many reports of some fans partial to Tarja heckling her and giving her the finger. There's a Youtube video of the incident out which I won't bother to link, you can surely find it with ease. Marco's explanation on stage seems to favor the latter idea. Either way, it's safe to say, it was due to the stress. She performed perfectly at the next show.

Official word was that the smoke machine was misplaced and blowing in her face causing her voice to suffer, which obviously upset her. Unofficially, there were many reports of some fans partial to Tarja heckling her and giving her the finger. There's a Youtube video of the incident out which I won't bother to link, you can surely find it with ease. Marco's explanation on stage seems to favor the latter idea. Either way, it's safe to say, it was due to the stress. She performed perfectly at the next show.
Weren't there rumors that she was immersed in some sort of child custody battle?

Zod

Hold tight folks, there's been a new development in this story...

http://www.bravewords.com/news/109220

Be sure to tune in next for, As The Metal World Turns :)

The boys at Nuclear Blast politely told Hagstrom to fix this and keep his mouth shut. As the OP stated, it was going to bite someone in the ass. It did....Meshuggah's.

As I stated before, it was plain jealousy that caused Hagstrom to pop his mouth off like he did. If he was making Nightwish money, do you think he would have opened his mouth like that? He, and other people like him, should also realize that Nuclear Blast Records is a BUSINESS. Do you think Metal Blade wouldn't have loved to have kept the Goo Goo Dolls? Only a fool would have said no. In the end, NB is going to do what makes them money. If Meshuggah walked in and wanted X, Y, and Z. Nuclear Blast will act on how much money they can make off it. Maybe Meshuggah would get X and half of Z, but not Y. But, if Holopainen of Nightwish walked in, and asked that the live orchestra is conducted by Arthur Fiedler PERSONALLY (He's only been dead for about 30 years), with Buddy Rich LIVE on drums (He's only been dead since 1987), you can be assured that NB will go to the graves, dig them up, and bring them back to life. Why? Because NB makes millions off Nightwish, and there is a chance they will make more. This is called business.

I wouldn't call it jealousy but rather a market plan for the USA. Meshuggah have gained a certain cult status over there among the "tr00 metal" audience and they have to keep up their reputation with that fanbase. I can't imagine Meshuggah slipping out too sharp controversial opinions about Nuclear Blast or about their labelmates in front of the European media. Maybe Hagström forgot that the internet know no borders.

Record labels are business allright, but Nightwish took their faith in their own hands before they signed with NB in 2004. They financed and produced Once by themselves and did the same with Dark Passion Play. Only when the CD was ready and mastered they sold the licence to NB and other labels worldwide who'd take care of printing the CDs plus marketing and delivering them in their own territories. That was a bold move five years ago, but it has guaranteed Nightwish the full freedom to do whatever they please without any label interference.

Anyway, Nightwish are the best selling band on Nuclear Blast, but while their target audiences hardly overlap it will not be a problem when Meshuggah use Nightwish's name for their own marketing efforts even negatively, especially in the USA where both bands are not really mainstream.

The boys at Nuclear Blast politely told Hagstrom to fix this and keep his mouth shut. As the OP stated, it was going to bite someone in the ass. It did....Meshuggah's.

As I stated before, it was plain jealousy that caused Hagstrom to pop his mouth off like he did. If he was making Nightwish money, do you think he would have opened his mouth like that? He, and other people like him, should also realize that Nuclear Blast Records is a BUSINESS. Do you think Metal Blade wouldn't have loved to have kept the Goo Goo Dolls? Only a fool would have said no. In the end, NB is going to do what makes them money. If Meshuggah walked in and wanted X, Y, and Z. Nuclear Blast will act on how much money they can make off it. Maybe Meshuggah would get X and half of Z, but not Y. But, if Holopainen of Nightwish walked in, and asked that the live orchestra is conducted by Arthur Fiedler PERSONALLY (He's only been dead for about 30 years), with Buddy Rich LIVE on drums (He's only been dead since 1987), you can be assured that NB will go to the graves, dig them up, and bring them back to life. Why? Because NB makes millions off Nightwish, and there is a chance they will make more. This is called business.

No.

If he was making Nightwish money, do you think he would have opened his mouth like that?
Not sure what one has to do with the other. Back in the 80s, at the height of Quiet Riot's popularity, Kevin DuBrow couldn't stop insulting almost every band on the scene. And I'm fairly certain, with a CD that sold more than six million copies, he was making quite a bit more than Nightwish money. Some people are insecure and bank accounts do little do rectify their insecurities. And perhaps it's possible that he simply doesn't care for Nightwish and was being honest enough to say as much.

Zod

As I stated before, it was plain jealousy that caused Hagstrom to pop his mouth off like he did. If he was making Nightwish money, do you think he would have opened his mouth like that? He, and other people like him, should also realize that Nuclear Blast Records is a BUSINESS.

I love how this forum is full of people stating "facts" about which they have no f'in clue.

It's already been posted in this thread that Meshuggah is charting higher on the billboard charts in the US than Nightwish. Charting higher generally means the album is selling better. Looking at the touring schedules Meshuggah is headlining bigger venues in the US than Nightwish. Bigger venues generally mean higher gross receipts.

I have no clue about Europe, and the chart numbers on Wiki aren't complete. So perhaps it's possible that Nightwish makes so much more there that it makes up for the US market.

Based on the facts I can gather and not being a blind (to the point of ignorance) fan, I'd say it very likely he is making at least in the ball park of Nightwish money.

One more thing.... Millions off of Nightwish, seriously? Millions, as in the plural of Million? Wow.

I've got a great way to settle this. Annette vs. the Meshuggah dude in a no holds barred fight in the Octagon. If Annette kicks his ass, that proves that Nightwish is more metal than Meshuggah.

BTW, I forgot to ask. Who the heck is Meshuggah?

BTW, I forgot to ask. Who the heck is Meshuggah?

If you don't know both bands then get out of this forum...

He sounds like one of the elitist music rumps I have to deal with on this forum (as a whole, not PPUSA) all too often. It's his personal opinion, I can totally respect that, but absolutely disagree with it.

Not everyone can respect someone elses opinion though because it can be insulting toward their own opinion... it hard to!

Well, his numbers are off on several levels. The 50k only refers to the US sales for Meshuggah. And since Nuclear Blast only has rights for certain countries, they haven't gotten the money from all 800k albums sold.

And that 50,000 was in November of 2008. Before a recent headlining tour.

Not everyone can respect someone else's opinion though, because it can be insulting toward their own opinion... it's hard [delete]to[/delete]!
Good grammar is hard as well. Sorry, ;) I have nothing better to do. Clearly I'm not alone. (Besides, I hate to disappoint Pellaz.)

On topic, I'm amused with the retraction, because the red flag to me in Mr. Hagström's statement was the careless mention that NB's head, Markus agreed with him. Faux pas for sure. The rest of the debate is moot as far as I'm concerned.