Meshuggah Talks S*#% On Nightwish

The boys at Nuclear Blast politely told Hagstrom to fix this and keep his mouth shut. As the OP stated, it was going to bite someone in the ass. It did....Meshuggah's.

As I stated before, it was plain jealousy that caused Hagstrom to pop his mouth off like he did. If he was making Nightwish money, do you think he would have opened his mouth like that? He, and other people like him, should also realize that Nuclear Blast Records is a BUSINESS. Do you think Metal Blade wouldn't have loved to have kept the Goo Goo Dolls? Only a fool would have said no. In the end, NB is going to do what makes them money. If Meshuggah walked in and wanted X, Y, and Z. Nuclear Blast will act on how much money they can make off it. Maybe Meshuggah would get X and half of Z, but not Y. But, if Holopainen of Nightwish walked in, and asked that the live orchestra is conducted by Arthur Fiedler PERSONALLY (He's only been dead for about 30 years), with Buddy Rich LIVE on drums (He's only been dead since 1987), you can be assured that NB will go to the graves, dig them up, and bring them back to life. Why? Because NB makes millions off Nightwish, and there is a chance they will make more. This is called business.

You're like the Jesse Jackson of Nightwish. Anytime a camera is rolling that dumb ass shows up spewing nonsensical garbage that nobody with a brain cares about. Anytime someone even thinks about typing something Nightwish related you pop up with the longest post of absolute bullshit drivel imaginable.

People in the US might have a hard time believing this... but over here (and in many places), Nightwish are ridiculously popular. It's... scary. I have no problem believing the 800,000 number as a worldwide sales figure for a single album.

Also, when the first video came out for Dark Passion Play, all pretense that Nightwish had of not being a pop band disappeared with Annette's bopping and the easily-digested voice. That was Eurovision shit, and fits in quite nicely with European pop. Early last year I was seeing a girl that had this album on nonstop, so I had to hear it quite a bit... and calling it a metal album does violence to the concept of "metal." Not to mention the idea that the singer of a "metal" band needs an agent to secure clothing sponsorships? Why is there even a debate about their "metalness?"

It's like their fans would somehow enjoy them less if they were scientifically proven to not be metal or something.

IDK what the sales are for Dark Passion Play, but considering how many countries it has gone gold or platinum in, 800K copies sold worldwide certainly doesn't seem far-fetched to me.
That'd be close enough. Last time I heard about the sales figures mentioned in a Nightwish interview it was said the Once had sold over one million copiesworldwide and DPP was getting close. The same quite reliable source also revealed Nightwish's whole discography selling some 4 million copies by the end of last year.

But - these figures can never be 100% accurate since there are too many local labels involved in the global licencing chain and their book-keeping (and money payments to the band!) can - and usually will - hang behind even an year or two.

Another false idea people often will hold as a truth is that if a CD peaks high on the Billboard Charts it'd sell volumes. Not so; Billboard caharts will count only the sales in the USA and that's a small part of the world, actually less than 5% of the population on this planet - with Canada included. An eager fanbase may well help a band peaking high for a week or two, but when everyone got their copy the rank will drop like a brick.

Massive sales figures will rather depend on the weeks a CD stays high on the charts, because each week around, say 100th position, will nowadays mean only a thousand or 2k copies sold. Only the CDs in the Top 5 may occasionally reach or even exceed 50 000 sold copies weekly.

People in the US might have a hard time believing this... but over here (and in many places), Nightwish are ridiculously popular. It's... scary. I have no problem believing the 800,000 number as a worldwide sales figure for a single album.

Also, when the first video came out for Dark Passion Play, all pretense that Nightwish had of not being a pop band disappeared with Annette's bopping and the easily-digested voice. That was Eurovision shit, and fits in quite nicely with European pop. Early last year I was seeing a girl that had this album on nonstop, so I had to hear it quite a bit... and calling it a metal album does violence to the concept of "metal." Not to mention the idea that the singer of a "metal" band needs an agent to secure clothing sponsorships? Why is there even a debate about their "metalness?"

It's like their fans would somehow enjoy them less if they were scientifically proven to not be metal or something.
Eurovision shit :lol: - hey they did participate in the national Eurovision qualifications back in 2000 already with "Sleepwalker" but were dumped by the jury even they won the public televote.

I think it's the fact that Nightwish are heavy sounding yet melodic which make them appealing to most people including most metalheads. Only a minority of them have hard times in keeping their Tr00 metal face among their fellow believers if they admit that Nightwish are metal. :saint:

You're like the Jesse Jackson of Nightwish. Anytime a camera is rolling that dumb ass shows up spewing nonsensical garbage that nobody with a brain cares about. Anytime someone even thinks about typing something Nightwish related you pop up with the longest post of absolute bullshit drivel imaginable.

I just shot fluids out my nose.

Hard.

Thank you! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Good grammar is hard as well. Sorry, ;) I have nothing better to do. Clearly I'm not alone. (Besides, I hate to disappoint Pellaz.)

On topic, I'm amused with the retraction, because the red flag to me in Mr. Hagström's statement was the careless mention that NB's head, Markus agreed with him. Faux pas for sure. The rest of the debate is moot as far as I'm concerned.

Some of those mistakes are due to the keyboard not working but yes... you did find mistakes, lol! I really don't care if you correct me, otherwise I won't know when I mess up!! :)

I see his point about the direction Nightwish went, which is more so a pop direction, I don't know that he'd say that about them with Tarja because they were one of the few doing that kind of music were they not? I personally like Nightwish a lot with Tarja WAY better than with Annette. While I think he has a slight point I think he's broad brushing Nightwish and is way over speaking in saying they're not metal, I mean even if he's right (which I don't think as a whole he is right) isn't there such a thing as POP METAL?? While I think he makes a BIT of a point, his tact, attitude, ignorant comments, both what he said in total and his manner of communicating them are off base. He/they didn't JUST give an opinion, he made a value and category judgment about the fact that they aren't part of a genre that they claim to be in, and are in, and also about the quality of their art as well as their motivation.. That's out of line and I think will piss a lot of people off.

While I think he makes a BIT of a point, his tact, attitude, ignorant comments, both what he said in total and his manner of communicating them are off base. He/they didn't JUST give an opinion, he made a value and category judgment about the fact that they aren't part of a genre that they claim to be in, and are in, and also about the quality of their art as well as their motivation.. That's out of line and I think will piss a lot of people off.

It's not out of line if it's the truth...

Wow, this thread is like being warped back tot he 90's at death metal shows and people arguing about every sub-sub-genre because it isn't brutal enough, on and on. It was moronic then, and its moronic now.

I really don't see how anybody could call one of the most innovative and influential bands in all of metal "boring"...

Maybe you don't care for their style, but boring is the last word that fits their music.

I see his point about the direction Nightwish went, which is more so a pop direction, I don't know that he'd say that about them with Tarja because they were one of the few doing that kind of music were they not? I personally like Nightwish a lot with Tarja WAY better than with Annette. While I think he has a slight point I think he's broad brushing Nightwish and is way over speaking in saying they're not metal, I mean even if he's right (which I don't think as a whole he is right) isn't there such a thing as POP METAL?? While I think he makes a BIT of a point, his tact, attitude, ignorant comments, both what he said in total and his manner of communicating them are off base. He/they didn't JUST give an opinion, he made a value and category judgment about the fact that they aren't part of a genre that they claim to be in, and are in, and also about the quality of their art as well as their motivation.. That's out of line and I think will piss a lot of people off.

Tarja is the much better vocalist... not to mention Annette's looks (which are somewhat skanky but I still is beautiful!!) is the reason Nightwish attract fans!!!

Oh, don't worry.... I also think Tarja is gorgeous as well!!!! (Tarja lovers)