Metal cover of a pop song not done yet?

adaher

Apr 18, 2004
Coral Springs, FL
I know some of you here are big fans of metal covers of pop tunes. Seems like they've all been covered. If you could request a song be done that hasn't been, or hasn't been done WELL, what would it be?

For me, it was Holding Out for a Hero, which has been tried a few times, but it's always sucked, IMO. Given the fast pace and er, heroic lyrics, you'd think a power metal band would have grabbed that one by the throat, but until a few weeks ago, when Reinxeed put it on Youtube, a good version had yet to be done.

At this point, the #1 song on my list due for a cover would be The Touch, by Stan Bush. I don't think anyone's even tried that.

Always wanted to see a good cover of Toto's "Africa", although I'd be worried that they couldn't outdo the original. Also, Duran Duran's "The Reflex".

Always wanted to see a good cover of Toto's "Africa", although I'd be worried that they couldn't outdo the original. Also, Duran Duran's "The Reflex".

Circus Maximus did an excellent version of "Africa" in 2009 at Midweek Mayhem. The song I would really love to hear a good cover of is "Dragon Attack: by Queen, or maybe "Don't Fight It" by Kenny Lggoins and Steve Perry

Rihanna "Unfaithful"

Fire Inc. "Tonight Is What It Means to Be Young" from the Streets Of Fire Soundtrack

and I don't why I like this song but I do, yep I'm gay, Debbie Gibson " Electric Youth"

I don't worry too much about bands topping the original, as long as they make something completely different with it. I love what Sonata used to do with their cover. Their versions of Wind Beneath My Wings, Die With Your Boots On, and Two Hearts, One Soul, were incredible. I wonder why they haven't done any in awhile?

I love Debbie Gibson too. I heard a pretty good cover of Lost In Your Eyes some time back, can't remember who did it though. It's a natural power ballad though, just make it heavier and it's golden.

For several years now I've thought that JORN could tear this song up! For some reason, it would just fit him....especially during his days in Ark!

~Brian~

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't read the title. Songs that I think that would be cool to be covered by metal bands would be

Thunder Island by Jay Fergusen
Hold The Line - Toto
Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty.

It's very hard to answer this question. If it's a pop song I like I don't want anyone to redo it and screw it up. It's a very rare occurrence where a band remakes a song I love and I wind up liking the remake as well. I'm sure there are more examples but the only two I can think of at the moment are Turn the Page and Over the Hills and Far Away. Those two remakes are different enough from the original recordings that I can love both versions without mixing them up. So for me I don't want anyone to remake any of the pop songs I loved back in the day, but I'm completely open to metal versions of songs I hated. Make sense?

Here is a good example of what I mean:

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris De Burge - Don't Pay The Ferryman.

Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf

Billy Idol - White Wedding, Flesh For Fantasy, Eyes Without a Face