Metal cover of a pop song not done yet?

Chris De Burge - Don't Pay The Ferryman.

Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf

Billy Idol - White Wedding, Flesh For Fantasy, Eyes Without a Face

There's actually already a really good version of Hungry Like the Wolf. Guild of Ages covered that one.

Power Metal band DIGNITY did "Don't Pay the Ferryman". DIGNITY features Jake E from the Power Metal band DREAMLAND on vocals.

Traditional/Power Metal band GOTHIC KNIGHTS do a kick ass version of "Hungry Like A Wolf". Hard Rock band GUILD OF AGES also covered "Hungry Like A Wolf". The GOTHIC KNIGHTS version blows away the GUILD OF AGES version.

SEVEN WITCHES has done "Flesh For Fantasy". DORO has done "White Wedding".

Seems a lot of forumers would like the "Pop songs gone wild" show I do twice a year.

One of the best is SINNER doing Midnight Oil's "Beds Are Burning".

I'm not aware of this one! The original is one of my favorite 80's tunes. I'll have to check it out.

Also...here's Circus Maximus covering Africa...

Well, if you can't Jorn to do it, the next best thing works...Jeff Scott Soto!

I have no unearthly idea who these guys are, but they do a helluva job covering Kyrie...and the lead singer is wearing an Ivanhoe shirt, so....

~Brian~

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not aware of this one! The original is one of my favorite 80's tunes. I'll have to check it out.

I have no unearthly idea who these guys are, but they do a helluva job covering Kyrie...and the lead singer is wearing an Ivanhoe shirt, so....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psBGw2N8saM

~Brian~

The band AVALON with Chity on vocals (Who will be playing with Red Circuit at the next PPUSA), does the song Kyrie, and its much better than the one from the video you posted.

Chity also did Bruce Springsteens "Dancing In the Dark" on his latest CD from his band FARO.

Not one of the bands you mentioned, but I have a cover of the song performed by Angtoria. I wasn't even aware it was a cover until you posted the original song.

That's very cool to know there actually are metal bands that have tried covering it.

Although, I don't see the reason for this cover when they aren't really doing something "interesting" with it and when it's just another female singer doing it. It's too safe and too close to the original unfortunately.

c.

Last edited by a moderator:
Power Metal band DIGNITY did "Don't Pay the Ferryman". DIGNITY features Jake E from the Power Metal band DREAMLAND on vocals.

TWINBALL also did Don't Pay The Ferryman (excellent version) on their great first album. DOMAIN covered it too.

At this point, the #1 song on my list due for a cover would be The Touch, by Stan Bush. I don't think anyone's even tried that.

Epic suggestion; add me to the list on wanting to see that. I still remember that song being the msot awesoem thing ever as a little kid when it was used in Transformers The Movie back in the 80s.

The band AVALON with Chity on vocals (Who will be playing with Red Circuit at the next PPUSA), does the song Kyrie, and its much better than the one from the video you posted.

Chity also did Bruce Springsteens "Dancing In the Dark" on his latest CD from his band FARO.

Chity (when with Avalon) also did a great cover of The Scorpions "Alien Nation." It is VERY similar to the original (which I usually don't like) but he does it better than Klaus.

Bryant

I want a metal band to cover "Freebird." Although I do like some Skynyrd stuff, I am pretty burned out on that song, but while in the South, I would love for someone in the audience to yell out "Freebird" and the metal band fire it up.

Speaking of Southern Rock, though. I would like to hear a metal band do a cover of Blackfoot's "Highway Song." The guitar riff is legendary X10.
Sherriff - When I'm with You
Tangier - On the Line
Goo Goo Dolls - Iris (though I could name several Goos songs)
Give Me Shelter - Rolling Stones (though not listed first, this could be an ultimate cover.... such a wicked song !!)
A Day in the Life - The Beatles....... great song for a prog band to try and pull off.
(We're an) American band - Grand Funk railroad.... has to be done by a German powermetal band. ^___^ In all seriousness, great potential for a rocker.

Btw, has everyone heard the Elton John Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting cover done by Flotsam and Jetsam ? great cover.

Bryant