Metal songs about lost love ?

FatesFan

Dec 18, 2004
Alright, I am a sucker for songs about lost love. Songs like Sapphire and Memory by Redemption and My Heart from Saint Deamon are the kinds of things I am talking about. Although I also like the more melodic "ballads" as well.

I am looking for more songs of this type in the genres discussed here on this forum. Nothing 80's metal as I think I have that covered.

So list your favorite/s please. If you are not a fan of this type of song, maybe you still know of one that is worth checking out.

ah not really many that I have heard.
really the emotional songs fall under symphonic metal,
Nightwish is pretty good at the sad songs like "Swanheart" is about
how people do not judge on the person themself but are fickle and judge on
loving only someone that is beautiful.
and "Ever Dream" gives me the idea that is about seperated lovers.
"Ocean Soul" and "Two for Tragedy" are very good ones.

Every song by My Dying Bride :p (a few specific examples would be Two Winters Only, My Hope The Destroyer, My Wine In Silence)

Sonata Arctica - The End of This Chapter is about doing what's necessary to get back to a lost love :) (Also, their song My Land is written in such a way that it can be interpreted metaphorically about a guy who loses his girlfriend to another guy and is struggling to deal with it. Don't know if it's the original intention but you can read it that way) They do have many songs about frustrated love.

HammerFall - Glory to the Brave
This was written in memory of the singer's grandfather. I would assume you're looking for songs about lost romantic love, but since you didn't specify, I'm adding this one to the list, since there are many kinds of love. :)

Falconer - Portals of Light
I think this one is about a love lost to death. It's a pretty sad song.

That's all I can think of for now, I've had an exhausting afternoon. I'll post again if I think of more. :)

A sad yet wonderfull story, about a couple where the woman gets ahlzheimers desease.

In any way inspired by the video for Sentenced's "No One There"?

Anyhow (some more metal than others):

Sentenced - No One There (though the video doesn't follow directly from the lyrics)
Queensryche - London
Orphaned Land - The Beloved's Cry
Iced Earth - I Died For You (twist is that the lyrics are written by the dead one this time!)
Iced Earth - Dracula (a bit more aggressive reaction to losing love than the usual moping!)
Dream Theater - Space Dye Vest ("And I'll smile and learn to pretend / And I'll never be open again"...ugh...perfect)
Anathema - One Last Goodbye (non-romantic, mother in this case, and absolutely heart-rending)

It's weird how I've never noticed this as a specific category of song before, because every single one of these is one of my very favorite songs. I better keep an eye on the other suggestions!

Neil

I would assume you're looking for songs about lost romantic love, but since you didn't specify, I'm adding this one to the list, since there are many kinds of love. :)

You assumed correctly although your right that I did not specify. Although, any suggestions regarding any type of love lost is cool.