Metal songs about lost love ?

Alright, I am a sucker for songs about lost love. Songs like Sapphire and Memory by Redemption and My Heart from Saint Deamon are the kinds of things I am talking about. Although I also like the more melodic "ballads" as well.

I am looking for more songs of this type in the genres discussed here on this forum. Nothing 80's metal as I think I have that covered.

So list your favorite/s please. If you are not a fan of this type of song, maybe you still know of one that is worth checking out.

Oh no, you're not having flashbacks again are you? :heh:

~Brian~

*edit* ...don't forget Dionysus' Forevermore!

The first song that popped into my head was "Last December" from Iced Earth. I don't know if two lovers taking a suicide leap counts for this thread, but I'd say there's some lost love going on there.

Last December
Mother you have forced us here
Last December
Father now we'll disappear
Last December
One last step we fade away

Britt

A Tale That Wasn't Right was the first thing that came to mind when I read this thread...nice to see that someone mentioned it early on...

You're probably looking for songs about emotion, heartbreak, and loss, but I always got really turned on by the bitter, pissed off songs of someone venting in anger and misery after the love was gone...

Like the Crimson Glory reference above, let me get a little old school and suggest Stricken By Fate by Armored Saint...haha!

a lot of the ones I was thinking were already mentioned, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Volbeat- The Garden's Tale. Their song Mr. & Mrs. Ness sort of falls into this category (a couple's daughter dies, mother kills herself, father gets framed for murder & speaks of his love for his lost mother & daughter). Also Volbeat's Soulweeper.

Saint Deamon's My Heart was already mentioned, but you cant forget My Sorrow

Stratovarius- 4,000 Rainy Nights

Grave Digger- Emerald Eyes

Believe it or not, even GWAR has 2 good 'lost love' songs- In Her Fear off 1997's Carnival of Chaos album, and Mary Ann off We Kill Everything

I'll think more about this and probably post again in a few hours :)

"Summers Rain" - Savatage:

"So do I stand all alone
Like a fool out in the rain?
Hanging on somehow
To an ancient vow
When there's nothing
Left to gain"

After my divorce, I could hardly listen to this song. It also contains, from what I've heard, Criss Oliva's (RIP, my brother) favorite solo.

Also, the entire CD, "The Dark Saga", by Iced Earth - one of my fav CDs EVER.

Chris :headbang:

There are many ways of seeing lost love IMO, so here's some of my choices:

Black Sabbath - She's Gone (to me a masterpiece)
Praying Mantis - 'Naked' (lost a child and tell me it's not love teared apart)
Alice Cooper - 'Burning Our Bed'
Motorhead - 'One More Fucking Time'
Sentenced - 'Her Last 5 Minutes' (and more, these guys were good at sadness)
Thin Lizzy - Baby Please Don't Go
Thin Lizzy - Didn't I
Thin Lizzy - 'Still In Love With You' (the live version is way better than the studio one)
Judas Priest - Before The Dawn'
Judas Priest - 'Close To You'
Scorpions - 'Still Loving You' (ad nauseum I know)
Steel Prophet - 'Passage of Time (Amber leaves...)'
Spock's Beard - 'Thoughts (part II)'
Skyclad - 'Bury Me'
Dream Theater - 'Space-Dye Vest'

and for those who're glad to get rid of her/him

Nazareth - Glad When You're Gone
Renacer - 'Mucho Mejor'

Looking for songs about lost love and heartbreak? Look no further than this romance opus...

Mentors_yafi.jpg

Zod