Odd question (but I think relevant enough) - How much of metal is in the hair ?

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
In the 80's practically all metal musicians had long hair. A few were bald, mind you, but there were hardly any metal musicians that sported the clean-cut hair-styles. That look seems to be growing more and more these days. I am curious what you think about it.
Me, personally, I prefer to see metal bands that look like metal bands. I think having half of a circular saw blade coming out of your arm (ala wASP) is a little over the top, but I still like the long hair. Does that mean I DON'T like bands that do not sport the long mane ? Absolutely not. Vanden Plas is my favorite band in the world and two members of that band have short hair. However, I prefer the flowing locks.... anyone ?

Bryant

Doesn't matter to me, it isn't about the hair really it's the music, and musicianship.
Example:
Circus Maximus - 3 short hair, 1 medium, 1 Long.
Dark Water - 4 short or no hair, 1 long

I have long hair so I naturally prefer to see band members of like headfoliage, however a good band is a good band regardless of hair.

Don't forget that the bands that have been around a while probably have members that probably can't have long hair....or much of any hair for that matter....

While it dosn't bother me personally, I would agree that certain bands of certain genres definitely look more appealing live with long hair.

I mean, I could not imagine seeing Kreator without Mille's hair.

It should all be about the music, but anyone who says they truly 100% do not care about image AT ALL in bands they like is a liar.

I care about image, probably more than most people actually, but long hair is a non-issue for me. In fact, short hair dudes or bald dudes look more metal in metal bands than people with long hair (this doesn't apply to everyone *cough* Galder *cough*) sometimes. I mean I wouldn't wanna mess with this guy:

BYRON-S.jpg

The outdoors are overrated. All I need is my DMG/PHB and some dice.

Also, Galder is the one who needs to get outside. Look how pale he is!
galder6.jpeg

Regarding band image:
It's true that everyone cares about image to a certain extent; while participating in a thread with such a theme with several members expressed that image means nothing to them to which I replied:
scarlettohara.jpg

I don't know what they sound like, but they're on Rise Records, and they look like that so I feel pretty confident that they must suck pretty hard.

The outdoors are overrated. All I need is my DMG/PHB and some dice.

Also, Galder is the one who needs to get outside. Look how pale he is!
galder6.jpeg

Regarding band image:
It's true that everyone cares about image to a certain extent; while participating in a thread with such a theme with several members expressed that image means nothing to them to which I replied:
scarlettohara.jpg

I don't know what they sound like, but they're on Rise Records, and they look like that so I feel pretty confident that they must suck pretty hard.

First, do you honestly think he didn't powder or paint up his face a bit? That's not his natural skin tone.

Secondly, do we honestly have to have this same image conversation YET AGAIN?!!! How many threads have we had on this topic? It's been done to death and that picture was even in the last thread we had about this topic if I remember correctly.

First, do you honestly think he didn't powder or paint up his face a bit? That's not his natural skin tone.

Secondly, do we honestly have to have this same image conversation YET AGAIN?!!! How many threads have we had on this topic? It's been done to death and that picture was even in the last thread we had about this topic if I remember correctly.

is basic humor beyond you or something?

It should all be about the music, but anyone who says they truly 100% do not care about image AT ALL in bands they like is a liar.

Again, I disagree Jason. I could give a rat's ass. In fact, usually I try to listen to a band before I even know what they look like. Yeah, sometimes it can't be done but I never judge a band based on their look. I'll admit that it would benefit some bands to have a different look as I'll find their look silly, but it won't prevent me from trying out their music. I'm not disputing though that others don't change their minds based on a band's look though as I know that's a big thing for the young kids. For me it isn't though. If we're talking image, I would say album covers influence me more in terms of making that first step towards listening to a band than what the band itself looks like.

but I never judge a band based on their look.

That really wasn't my point.

My point was that when you go see a metal band live, you want to see a band who "looks" like a band. It isn't always just about hair. It could be about wearing darker colors, or even the style guitars they play. Some bands are more subtle about it than others. It's more important than you may realize.

I don't care what the bands I listen to look like neither, but I don't want to go see a killer power metal band and have them look like this:
weezer.jpg

My point was that when you go see a metal band live, you want to see a band who "looks" like a band. It isn't always just about hair. It could be about wearing darker colors, or even the style guitars they play. Some bands are more subtle about it than others. It's more important than you may realize.

I don't care what the bands I listen to look like neither, but I don't want to go see a killer power metal band and have them look like this:
weezer.jpg

Is that Wolves in the Throne Room?

weezer.jpg

Gotcha.