Odd question (but I think relevant enough) - How much of metal is in the hair ?

I like that metal artists don't feel the need to look a certain way anymore. People should choose the look that works best for them. Not everyone looks good with long hair.

I mean, if we really want to go back to the 80s look, we need a lot more than long hair. Have you seen some of those outfits? Louder than the music!

1.jpg

44252.jpg

/Ends ones of the dumbest threads I've ever seen in this forum.

Regarding band image:
It's true that everyone cares about image to a certain extent; while participating in a thread with such a theme with several members expressed that image means nothing to them to which I replied:
scarlettohara.jpg

I don't know what they sound like, but they're on Rise Records, and they look like that so I feel pretty confident that they must suck pretty hard.

Haha! I've never heard of Rise Records, but regarding your comment on their appearance, I find myself taking the same viewpoint.

I've seen Falconer a few times and Mattias is the most awkward looking frontman for a power metal band ever! The dude just doesn't look metal at all and doesn't even have any ounce of metal cred in him I think. He's almost apologetic as a frontman for a power metal band. What a voice though!
34.jpg

First, do you honestly think he didn't powder or paint up his face a bit? That's not his natural skin tone.

Secondly, do we honestly have to have this same image conversation YET AGAIN?!!! How many threads have we had on this topic? It's been done to death and that picture was even in the last thread we had about this topic if I remember correctly.

My brain hurts every time I see you post. Maybe its just me... but when I see you have posted in a topic (which is pretty much everyone since you are a thread vulture)... I just ignore it. Ugh.

mëtålspëd;9611143 said:
My brain hurts every time I see you post. Maybe its just me... but when I see you have posted in a topic (which is pretty much everyone since you are a thread vulture)... I just ignore it. Ugh.

I usually don't do this but.... :lol:

I am extremely biased toward men with long hair, and women with short/cropped/bald/mohawk styles. I don't know WTF is wrong with me, but I hate when dudes cut their hair short, and I like my women uh... "dykish", if you will.

This being said, nobody in my band is allowed to cut their hair except my drummer, who shaves his head. They either go bald or go long, there is no in-between, THUS SAYETH I.

Secondly, do we honestly have to have this same image conversation YET AGAIN?!!! How many threads have we had on this topic? It's been done to death and that picture was even in the last thread we had about this topic if I remember correctly.

Why do you complain about that, when you actually respond and participate *every time*?

I've seen Falconer a few times and Mattias is the most awkward looking frontman for a power metal band ever! The dude just doesn't look metal at all and doesn't even have any ounce of metal cred in him I think. He's almost apologetic as a frontman for a power metal band. What a voice though!

The guy does musical theater for a living. I think the only metal band he likes is Evergrey. That's the only one I've ever seen mentioned. Of course he doesn't have metal cred. But he doesn't need it, IMO. He does a fantastic job in Falconer.

The guy does musical theater for a living. I think the only metal band he likes is Evergrey. That's the only one I've ever seen mentioned. Of course he doesn't have metal cred. But he doesn't need it, IMO. He does a fantastic job in Falconer.

exactly. People tend to forget that not every band is thier bread and butter so they have lives and jobs outside the metal scene.

While I agree with Bob and Joan 100%, it's funny how many people slam bands simply because they don't have metal cred. Just something to think about.

Well image does make a difference to me in terms of live show/video/promo photos. On CD, obviously I don't know what they look like so it's not going to bother me, but when I see someone who looks like he should be doing musical theater and not rocking the eff out and having a good time, I become immediately disinterested. Damn, at least make the effort to look cool haha.

Oh, and going along with this thread.. when I saw Hansi last December, and noticed he cut his hair, I almost cried..

But then he held my hand and sang to me and I did cry. With joy. @.@

It is strange when musicians you know cut their hair...... I freaked out when Bruce Dickinson cut his hair..... and I am not really a huge IM fan. EVH looked funny too.
Some people do look better with no/short hair though. Udo and Rob Halford are better off with short hair. Wolf Hoffmann looked better with the long blond locks, but he was going bald and had to cut his or end up looking like a skinny Sam Kinnison.

Bryant

First, do you honestly think he didn't powder or paint up his face a bit? That's not his natural skin tone.

Easy there, sancho. It was a joke. I happen to Like the guy's music, being a big fan of Old Man's Child, and I find his live presence amusing, His goofy little mustache and utterly ridiculous facial expressions makes me giggle; I can't help that!

As for the latter half: I'm the one who posted it originally, and the point still rings true. Sorry if it's repetitive, but it is relevant to the subject at hand.

Is that Wolves in the Throne Room?
Buuuurrrrnnn...

On the other hand, I agree with Jasonic; the whole concept of "Metal Cred" is a completely pointless reason for disliking a band's music.

I agree too - I think part of it has to do with most of these bands that can't just rely on the band to pay their bill - so they have jobs/careers outside of the band.

I know with my profession and working with clients, me growing out my hair is considered a no-no. And really - I don't blame them.

Granted you have exceptions on musicians that have made it but cut their hair...but whatever. If I like the music, that's what counts