Poll: Which bands should return?

Select 3 Bands to Return

• Total voters

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
For starters, we'll rule out any band performing this year. Glenn has stated he won’t have bands perform in back to back years. Additionally, we'll exclude headliners. The logic behind this... the number of factors which determine who headlines, seem to be far greater than simple availability. For obvious reasons, we’ll exclude bands that have ceased to exist or who were special, one time only events. Finally, since UM polls have to be limited to 20 options, I've included the 20 bands who seem to generate the most discussion on this forum.

Please select only three.

Zod

Hm. I might have selected four. Oh well. I selected Spiral Architect, even though they are no longer together, and I don't know if they'll ever come back together. Its hard for me, because I haven't been to any PP except last years, so I'd love to see Vanden Plas, Devin, and such, because I've never seen them before.

I picked Redemption, Jag Panzer and Threshold, though not necessarily in that order.

Also, where is ARK? That would make my list.

To answer HoS: Two seems like a good number to me, but the pool may get thin, and I wouldn't mind seeing more repeats. Also, the 10th show might be a cool time to do all repeats as a celebration of the festival's milestone.

Ooops - voted 5 before I could take it back, sorry. Anyway, if I had to go with three, I'd go with:

Orphaned Land
Spiral Architect (because I missed them)
Jag Panzer

Among others I wouldn't mind see returning, I would also love to see Angel Dust, as I missed their performance as well. If they were a choice, they'd be in my top three to return.

As far as Glenn's question is concerned, if we're talking one year to the next, I think I'd only prefer to see one band return to keep it fresh. If we're talking every two years, I'm ok with something like 3 bands repeating.

Harvester said:
I'm also curious to know what everyone thinks is the maximum number of repeat bands per year I should have. The current goal/rule is two.
I think you're always going to get burned by this. For instance, if you invited back five bands I love, I'd be happy. If you invited back two bands that are "drinking time" for me, I wouldn't be happy.

I agree that two is a good rule of thumb. However, you might take into consideration how recently they've played. For instance, I'm guessing there's a strong chance that both Redemption and Vanden Plas will return next year. If, for instance, you wanted to add Jag Panzer to that mix, who hasn't played the festival since PPI, I don't think you'd take as much shit from people, as you would if you also brought back a band who played PPVI. Just my $0.02.

Zod

Pagan's Mind, Vanden Plas, Secret Sphere.

I like the rule of back to back years not allowed. I also like the suggestion of the 10 year milestone...that would be cool. As for number or repeats, I think 2 is good enough, although 3 is ok if the talent pool is low.

Voted for Brainstorm, Vanden Plas, and Threshold (based on my own personal fun factor)...

As far as repeats, Glenn, I don't know if you should worry so much about limits. Bring back the fave or popular repeaters when it's appropriate (when bands have released new albums that are noteworthy, when they're available, etc.). I'm sure the pool of bands will continue to dwindle, but there will always be some new bands up-and-coming to replace the ones that have fallen by the wayside. Also, depending on how much longer you continue to have this festival, your repeater pool will continue to grow, and, hopefully, it will be easier to mix-it-up for future years.

The people here won't care so much about the number. These bands rarely come to the states and people here, generally, would love to see them. If older band have released -new- material that is -good-, then the number matters little. Bringing back an old band that has done little new worth consideration, is a small stab to the up and coming bands that have put out great material but haven't been given the chance. I doubt anybody would complain if you had - Gamma Ray, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Syphony X, Redemption, Vanden Plas back again.

I voted for BOP, Brainstorm, Jag Panzer, Pagan's Mind, Redemption, Silent Force, Tad Morose, and Zero Hour.

I can't believe I'm the only one to vote for Balance of Power! Come on people, Corey Brown is with them now!

Good poll Zod!

I picked Jag Panzer, Tad Morose, and Redemption.

Harvester said:
I'm also curious to know what everyone thinks is the maximum number of repeat bands per year I should have. The current goal/rule is two.

That's a good rule of thumb, IMO... personally, I'd say no less than one (it's always good to see someone return), and no more than three. Considering the dwindling number of headliner-status bands that haven't played the fest yet, and allowing for plenty of opportunity to move former middle-slot bands up to headliner slots, maybe four would even be appropriate.

edgeofthorns said:
I voted for BOP, Brainstorm, Jag Panzer, Pagan's Mind, Redemption, Silent Force, Tad Morose, and Zero Hour.

I can't believe I'm the only one to vote for Balance of Power! Come on people, Corey Brown is with them now!

erm, that was because we were supposed to only vote for three.