Poll: Which bands should return?

Select 3 Bands to Return

• Total voters
Greykiller said:
Kudos to Glenn for keeping a good attitude about polls like this. I personally would be pissed because, to me, these threads all translate to "I am so disappointed with THIS year's lineup that I want to start a thread about the NEXT ProgPower."
Glenn knows I'm one of his most loyal supporters and recognizes I'm merely generating chatter on his forum, not throwing out some backdoor insult.

Greykiller said:
Oh and Shame on ZOD for not including Dreamscape!
Once again, the UM software only allows 20 options in a poll. I removed the bands who, in my perception, generate the least chatter on this forum. Since this is merely my own perception, it's undoubtedly colored by my own interests. And Dreamscape couldn't interest me less.

Zod

Voted for vanden plas, orphaned land and therion. But the repeat band I'll always vote for is PoS.

I'm also curious to see what the backlash would be if I booked a larger returning contigent (say a 5/5 or 6/4 split) for 2007. Hell, it may be easier to put together an all-star show next year than PP USA X based on circumstances coming into play. For example, 2009 may turn into this year where I just can't get who I want while I know I could get them in 2007.

On the flip side, I have no doubt that there would be a very vocal reaction against that as well as they want "new blood" which I completely understand.

This job is hell sometimes....

Don't worry about it Glenn i think it is a great Idea, 2007 is a great year to have 6/4 or 5/5 split or even all returning for a huge reunion show. Go for it, and take my sponsorship money for next year and apply it to any band you want to or need to, I am all for it.

I would have NO problem with a LARGE number of returning bands next year - and I agree with Zod that on a general rule 2 is a nice number but I would have no prob with three or four depending on circumstances.

My votes:

THREHSOLD
PAGAN'S MIND
VANDEN PLAS

The first two I have requested as repeats enough anyway in posts that I can skip my reasoning.....

Vanden Plas I had though was 'good'...... heard some tracks and thought they were cool but not nuts about them. So I hung around for their set at PPIV - when they were done, I was BLOWN away - I was astounded at the effect they had on me live. Became an instant convert with that one set. TOTALLY impressed and have gotten more into them since then. Would see them again in a heartbeat.

And to close, repeat bands from overseas who do NOT regularly tour over here, I think should be given special consideration and leeway for repeats. I mean for American concert goers who don't get to go overseas for shows, PP is the ONLY chance (in most cases) they can see these bands they are NUTS for. And say you miss a chance like that (like I did with PP3 and Threshold, who were the WHOLE reason I wanted to go when they were announced - everything else was gravy - but I had to miss due to family and financial problems) and if there is hardly any chance of them being brought back because they would be a 'repeat' band, you are basically screwed at any chance being able to see them live.

PS - Just looked over the list again and thought about bands that I was not expecting to blow me away but did after viewing - here's a honorable mention for Balance of Power - but ONLY with Lance. PPII was my first show and when they opened up, I was like 'Who are THESE guys and who is this guy on the vocals?!? Me likey!!!'

General Zod said:
For what it's worth, I voted for Vanden Plas, Redemption and Zero Hour.

My actual votes were the same, but I would have gone with Pagan's Mind as a fourth.

Several of my favorite past PPUSA performers weren't on the list, though. Pain of Salvation, Circus Maximus, and Conception (can I dream) would have received votes had they been listed, and Superior, Kamelot, Dreamscape, and Symphony X would have been close contenders for those votes....

Craig

longshot9 said:
I also LOVE the idea of a 10th anniversary "special" show where you invite back all the bands that have been the biggest crowd favorites. That would be really cool.

That *would* be cool, though I'm betting it'd be really, really expensive to book. Of course, people would likely be willing to pay more to make it happen...$200/ticket, anyone?

:headbang:

Craig

Redemption, Threshold and Pagan's Mind... Vanden Plas is 3B, PM only wins because I missed their set a few years back... (GT/Troy just got scheduled for 1:30, so no worries this year!)

Harvester said:
I'm also curious to see what the backlash would be if I booked a larger returning contigent (say a 5/5 or 6/4 split) for 2007. Hell, it may be easier to put together an all-star show next year than PP USA X based on circumstances coming into play. For example, 2009 may turn into this year where I just can't get who I want while I know I could get them in 2007.

On the flip side, I have no doubt that there would be a very vocal reaction against that as well as they want "new blood" which I completely understand.

This job is hell sometimes....

See, in my case, I'm a slow study. It might take me seeing a band live (for example, Evergrey, PoS) to say "WOW! That rocked! I want to see them AGAIN!" and become a fan. A band that returns that I might have missed the first time I will definitely watch some of the second time. A 5/5 split would be COOL because it'll be 5 bands I've never seen before and 5 bands that I'd probably spend the time watching again, since my tastes shift over the years.

Yeah, your job is hell. Sometimes, it seems like we all pretend we could do your job (Monday morning quarterbacking?! - I think it was mentioned here!) and someone will always complain. While I can't always say the lineup is perfect for Sarah, I certainly wouldn't expect it to be perfect for me.

I voted for Orphaned Land, Therion, and Devin (even though I think he'd be nearly impossible to get back again).

... and prior to the show, I wasn't expecting to be that impressed with Orphaned Land. :D

threeisten said:

I don't think Rage was properly appreciated in the final spot during their appearance. They were absolutely phenomenal, and I wish the entire crowd had stayed to see it. If I remember correctly it was quite cold and they were following up one of the PPUSA favorites in Evergrey. The 60% of the audience that stayed really got into it and enjoyed the show though.

Glenn, WHEN you bring Rage back, please put them in the number 4 slot! :)

Thanks,
Doug

P.S. I voted for Devin, Silent Force, and Threshold - but Rage would obviously have been my first vote.

I would go with Pagan's Mind, Vanden Plas and Redemption. As for the question as to how many bands should be returning bands, I wouldn't have a problem with all of them being returning bands, as long as they were music I'd want to listen to. And I would be happy to let Glenn know which bands make the music to which I like to listen. Long story short, I am not one to get all bent out of shape as to how many bands have been to PP before. Glenn has good taste as to his favorites, so I'm fine with his choice.

Harvester said:
Hell, it may be easier to put together an all-star show next year.....

Personally, while I like seeing new bands (looking forward to Wastefall, for example, and Circus Maximus kicked my ass last year), I also love seeing bands I've seen before.

Let's face facts here. Outside of ProgPower USA, our chances of seeing most of these bands is virtually nil, unless you're willing to travel long distances (ie. Europe in many cases).

I can't justify flying that far to see one or two bands, so it's PPUSA for me. So to be honest, I'd probably continue coming every year if half (or even more) of the lineup was repeats.....AS LONG AS I LIKE THEM.

To me, it's all about which bands are playing. It doesn't matter to me whether they're repeats from last year, four years ago, or have never played the festival, as long as I like 'em.

Having said that, how about Vanden Plas, Redemption, Symphony X, Superior, Nightingale, Pain of Salvation, Kamelot, Zero Hour, Enchant, and Andromeda for next year? :headbang:

In all seriousness (the above being serious, but I know it's a dream), if you decided to do an "all repeats" festival sometime of the best-liked previous performers, I'd recommend dropping it to 8 bands and give everyone 1.5-2 hour sets. We liked 'em before, so longer sets are justified for the "openers," and fewer bands should help make it more affordable to do, too.

Craig

If I had to put together PROGPOWER USA VIII (and thank god i don't have to, thanks Glenn) and using a 6/4 split as Glenn eluded to here is who i would go after and in no particular order.

Returing bands:

NIGHTWISH
VANDEN PLAS
REDEMPTION
ORPHANED LAND
EDGUY
THRESHOLD

New to PROGPOWER USA:

SCAR SYMMETRY
DREAMTONE
NOCTURNAL RITES
CLOUDSCAPE

Just my $0.02 worth.

General Zod said:
Glenn knows I'm one of his most loyal supporters and recognizes I'm merely generating chatter on his forum, not throwing out some backdoor insult.

Everyone has his own opinion. I said "threads like this." I did not point you out specifically. Far be it from me to be half-assed or shy about insults. Hence my comment about Dreamscape.

Once again, the UM software only allows 20 options in a poll. I removed the bands who, in my perception, generate the least chatter on this forum.

Since when does chatter here translate to actual interest by the entire PP base? Hardly a representative sample. Try this logic:
The people who book bands understand who is popular far better than the fans.
Dreamscape Plays ProgPower5, and kills.
Dreamscape plays PP6 preparty, and kills.

No matter how much people talk about Dreamscape here, the powers that be thought they deserved to go from a second slot on the mainstage to headlining the Pre-Party the next year.

Since this is merely my own perception, it's undoubtedly colored by my own interests. And Dreamscape couldn't interest me less.

Zod

If Glenn has this up as a sticky then maybe we should have more than one poll, with GLENN'S criteria for what bands should come back, and a listing of all the bands that qualify.

(btw given the "official" sanction of this thread, I voted for Brainstorm and Pagan's Mind, and withheld the third vote because Dreamscape was not listed)

Glenn,

I think 3 repeaters are fine, and I wouldn't be too upset with 4 or 5. We all understand that the number of top bands dwindle as PPs go on. Plus, it depends upon the definition of repeater.

Although they are technically both repeaters, there is a difference between bringing back multiple bands every two years vs bringing back popular repeaters that have not been here often. I'm sure if you brought in Gamma Ray and Nightwish to headline, plus Threshold and Pagan's Mind, you'd have four repeaters, but very little complaint. If you brought in Evergrey and Sym X (two bands I love) every other year, you'd have grumbling.

There are multiple PP bands I'd love to see again. A 50/50 split would not stop me from coming. (Oh, and I voted for Threshold - top choice, Redemption - 2nd album is amazing, and Wuthering Heights - better than I expected. Other smaller bands would include Silent Force, Manticora, and Tad Morose (depending upon the new singer).

Steve in Philly

Dark One said:
Orphaned Land
Jag Panzer

Agreed, and I could only pick two. Orphaned Land for absolute certain (glad they're getting some votes), and perhaps Jag Panzer....the rest I don't need to see (again).

Personally, I'd much rather see bands that haven't yet made it to the PP stage.

For the record I would have voted for Gamma Ray instead of Redemption had the band been one of the choices.