PP bands u've seen live before?

Angrafan

Feb 26, 2002
South Florida
Visit site
Have you ever seen any of the prog power bands live before?

Angra- 4 times + Hangar (aquiles' band) +Symbols (Edu's ex band) and Karma (Felipe's Ex band) one time each.

Blind Guardian- 2 times

Gamma Ray- 1 time

Let's see...counting that one....and those as well...that brings the grand total to...0 times. I've been to a whopping 2 metal shows so far in my life, and neither of them involved any of the fine gentlemen appearing at PP3.

let's see... other than PP2:

some shows out of the many i've been to, off the top of my head...

King's X
Nile (opening for someone; I forget who)
Immolation/Brutal Truth/Morbid Angel (MA twice)
Deicide (twice)
Iced Earth/Megadeth (Megadeth twice)
Incantation
Cannibal Corpse
Anthrax/Judas Priest (Anthrax twice)
Slayer (3 times)
Gorguts (gorguts twice)
Cryptopsy/Dimmu Borgir (Cryptopsy twice, but had to leave during Dimmu Borgir... they're a bit boring [live or otherwise])
Fates Warning/Savatage
Strapping Young Lad/Testament
Napalm Death
Hammerfall/Death (last show of the tour; Death's last ever show... SOOO glad i made it to that one)
Trans-Siberian Orchestra (twice)
King Diamond
Cephalic Carnage/Destruction/Kreator
Godflesh/Type O Negative/Danzig

so none, but I am glad that I'm also a big death metal and thrash metal fan, so some of my genres do tour here.

wow, that's quite a list. :) I haven't seen any of the PP 3 bands, either, but my list would have several bands in common with yours (FW, SYL, Testament, ND, TSO, and Anthrax, Slayer & Megadeth--all 3 on the same tour once even!). Gawd, I used to go to so many shows. :/

Shaye

Let's see..

I missed seeing PoS at the first ProgPowerUSA because I was spent & back in my hotel room by the time their set started (note to self: never agree to surgery less than 24 hours before leaving for ProgPower ever again), so I can't say I've seen them play.

I've seen Reading Zero twice, once at Powermad & once at PPUSA1.

I've seen Zero Hour once, also at PPUSA1.

That about covers it..

I've seen a ton of great bands including:

Dream Theater (x6)
Helloween
Savatage (x2)
Fates Warning
Virgin Steele (x2)
Dio (x2)
Symphony X (x2)
Exhibition

and a host of others!

But NONE of the bands playing at this year's festival!

A week after Progpower is Angra on Friday the 22 and Symphony X/Blind Guardian on Saturday the 23.

The December....Dio/Hammerfall....Virgin Steele (both shows are being filmed for DVD's)

and TSO for a third time right before Christmas!

What a great two months!

Originally posted by YtseJammer
The December....Dio/Hammerfall....Virgin Steele (both shows are being filmed for DVD's)

When I first read that, I tore ass over to the Virgin Steele website, and was immensely pleased with what I've found. I finally have an opportunity to see these guys. But then, at the venue's website, I noticed the show was 21 and over. Why the hell is that? What's going on there that's going to be inappropriate for me, being 19, to see? That just pisses me off. And by the way, I'll be at both the Angra show and the BG/SyX show, in addition to TSO in December.

Virgin Steele played in Brooklyn, NY and it was an all ages show (This was September)

They also played back in April at a bar that's 21+. I'm 20 and I managed to get in without a problem.

I don't plan on missing that show, 21+ or not..My suggestion..get tix. They won't deny you entrance if you have the tix in your hand.

Originally posted by chibitotoro
When I first read that, I tore ass over to the Virgin Steele website, and was immensely pleased with what I've found. I finally have an opportunity to see these guys. But then, at the venue's website, I noticed the show was 21 and over. Why the hell is that? What's going on there that's going to be inappropriate for me, being 19, to see? That just pisses me off. And by the way, I'll be at both the Angra show and the BG/SyX show, in addition to TSO in December.

It's usually not the band, it's the venue and a lot of times, state laws and local ordinances. Many states/locales won't let "minors" into anyplace liquor is sold, even for a concert.

Originally posted by YtseJammer
Virgin Steele played in Brooklyn, NY and it was an all ages show (This was September)

They also played back in April at a bar that's 21+. I'm 20 and I managed to get in without a problem.

I don't plan on missing that show, 21+ or not..My suggestion..get tix. They won't deny you entrance if you have the tix in your hand.

I remember missing that show in September...I go to school in Rochester, so it's not easy to get home for just a day or weekend. I guess, since the tickets are pretty cheap, it's tempting to buy one and just see if I can get in, but I'm still very skeptical. By the way, do you think this will sell out quickly? As in, should I try and get my tickets now, or can I wait a little?

When they played the bar in April there were a number of people there..Many, however, were there to see Angel (the other headliner).

The show in September was EMPTY. I'm telling you, I figured VS would never play stateside again after that show. THere must have been 50 people there.

I think you can wait a while..but I'm not taking ANY chances. This band is AWESOME live...and they'll be playing for 3 hours that night!

From the current list i've seen:

- Angra
- Pain of Salvation (5x)
- Silent Force
- Reading Zero
- Threshold (3x)
- Zero Hour (3x)

beside these bands i can come up with a list of at least 50 bands i've seen in the past 7 years.

Yes, me is happy living in Holland.

See ya in less than two weeks :)

Henk (still recovering from the Sentenced/Lacuna Coil gig last night)

Iced Earth 2x
Megadeth
Angel Dust
Ark
Nightingale
Balance of Power
Symphony X
Superior
Spiral Architect
Steel Prophet
Kamelot
Evergrey
Jag Panzer
In Flames
Dream Theater 2x

Ozzy x 4
Black Sabbath
Pantera
Judas Priest
Queensryche
Metallica - once with Cliff and twice with Newstead
Megadeth
Slayer
Last years First night only, the show was kind of spur of the moment
some others, but this is pretty much the best of... until this years shows, then I will have a new best of. I can't wait for Friday. Those are the bands I most want to see, except for Gamma Ray.

That you have seen before??? anyways yeah Zero Hour are friends, I have seen them 3 times already and looking forward to their 4th which will kick alot of people asses!!!!!!

POS at PPUS 1.0 was awesome, can't wait to see them on the big stage as well!!!

Reading Zero at PPUSA 1.0 too, very cool stuff and a highly energenic band!! I will definitely be watching more intently this time out.

never seen any of the other bands and am really looking forward to seeing Angra !!!

Bear

Well, I actually saw 3 of the main bands at Wacken this past summer:

Blind Guardian
Angra
Edguy

However, that doesn't mean I can't see them again and again and again. Plus I only got to see Angra for 45 minutes. It's weird because at Wacken, Edguy had more time than Angra, but in Atlanta it will be reversed. I couldn't believe I was able to stand dead center, front row for Angra, but couldn't get near the stage for Edguy! I guess I'll attribute that to being in Germany!!!

at least it's not a full reversal between Edguy and Angra and Edguy will get an hour instead of 45 minutes. I personally would prefer Edguy to headline over Angra but i can respect the huge amount of support i've seen evidenced for Angra on this forum alone, so the choice makes plenty of sense. I just don't get into Angra as much... they have "Stratovarius syndrome" to me: I like them enough (in Stratovarius's case so far, and probably Angra at some point) to own a CD or two by them, but when listening to them i get the idea of what they're doing very quickly and want to put on something else usually before the album is over. It's probably because my metal listening phases went something like thrash->death->black, and then an exploration of power and prog began. Stratovarius and Angra are happier, peppier bands than even most other power metal bands, so they just don't agree as well with my thrash/death/black metal roots. or something.

Ryan

oh, and from earlier up the thread, plans are already underway to transport Robin (my girlfriend [and an even (much) bigger power metal fan than myself]) and I up to New York (from here in Atlanta - now we know how everyone else feels) for the Virgin Steele show at the Downtown, so we'll be seeing you all there.

and from my previous post, the thrash->death->black->prog/power thing was merely an order of introduction to each genre, and not intended to be viewed as an evolution, as I think all 4 genres have equal merit, (5 genres- let's throw technical metal in there as well).

Ryan (i'm definitely rambling today)