PPVI Cheers and Jeers

I know some people who do that are real assholes, but that doesn't mean everyone is.

It was completely unneccessary if it happened during Strato or Angra, but I didn't see it happen there. I just watched it during Therion, and there was a really tiny little pit (three people running around), and then there wasn't one.

It can be really annoying, but you just have to step back a second, calm down, have a laugh that people are moshing at a Power show, and not let it bother you.

Cardinal Sin said:
but i think seeing people mosh was better than seeing people falling asleep in their seats during strato and Angra :D

I see what you mean - you're happy that people were into the music instead of being bored. It's great that you're looking on the bright side, however someone sleeping in the seats doesn't affect my ability to enjoy the show comfortably.

Tammy

I had a great weekend as usual. Cheers to Glenn and the whole crew for always taking care of us. Shane, Smiley, Chris, Wayne, Don, Scott, Mike, Ralph - we love you guys!

Major cheers to Lars for coming out to the photo pit to meet a fan before Conception played. I brought something to him that a guy on the front row wanted signed and I just mentioned that the guy had asked for him to come out there but I didn't think he would and he said "Let's go. Anything for the fans! Show me where he is." He followed me out there and talked to the guy for like 10 minutes or so. SO COOL!! What a nice guy he was all weekend!!

JEERS>>>>>>> Has anyone ever heard of SMOKE INHALATION??????? That blown in "smoke" to make the lights look better killed me.I had to leave in the last set because it bothered me so much. It was choking me something fierce!! It really doesn't add that much to the show either!Who turned off the A/C this year? It was pretty miserable in the seats. I noticed a lot of people were sweating bullets. One guy was drenched and he wasn't even overweight!
CHEERS>>>>>An attempt at better sound. better than last year but still needs work.

jeer:
*The blinding bright lights on the crowd during Angra's set.

I seem to remember the same thing at PP3 with their set, so maybe they like it that way. However, it's really unpleasant to have giant white lights shining directly our eyes while in dark surroundings. I couldn't look up at the stage for the first 3 songs. I got so frustrated that I had to leave because my eyes were actually starting to water.

I tried to move around as best I could, hoping that I was just in a bad spot but it was everywhere I went. I tried to see if there were any seats available further back where it was dark but my eyes were watering and hurting so bad I had to leave. Once I finally got the tears to stop whelling up and I could see again, I had no desire to go in and do it all over again. I was really looking forward to seeing Angra again, but instead I can't even recall getting a good look at them the whole night.

Those lights are fun for big "HEY" moments, but I couldn't figure out purpose it served to have them on for so long. None of the other bands had such bright lights on the crowd, so again, maybe Angra requires that they see their audience better... how ironic, they see me, but not I can't see them. haha! This has happened at other shows I've been to, where the crowd lights are so intense that it hurts. I wonder who thought it would be a good idea to point a bunch of huge bright lights right into a crowd of people who've spent the last several hours in the dark? haha!

Oh well! It's all said and done. I made the best of it and spent some time with friends that I hadn't seen in a long time... no more jeers from me. All Cheers from now on! :Spin:

Tammy

Bad Girl Tess said:
I had a great weekend as usual. Cheers to Glenn and the whole crew for always taking care of us. Shane, Smiley, Chris, Wayne, Don, Scott, Mike, Ralph - we love you guys!

Major cheers to Lars for coming out to the photo pit to meet a fan before Conception played. I brought something to him that a guy on the front row wanted signed and I just mentioned that the guy had asked for him to come out there but I didn't think he would and he said "Let's go. Anything for the fans! Show me where he is." He followed me out there and talked to the guy for like 10 minutes or so. SO COOL!! What a nice guy he was all weekend!!

That was cool! I was right behind Lars when he was talking to that guy up front.. :) (you even made a coment about my marlins jersey :loco: )

Cheers-no work for 3 whole days…just being immersed in all that music was wonderful…seeing peeps that I haven’t seen in a year or more (cindy) :wave: …not having to wear a sweater (even though I brought one)…being introduced for the first time to the music from over 10 bands…seeing dreamscape again :headbang: …tess and annie making me giggle SO MUCH…ummm…did I mention no work for 3 whole days?… ;)

Jeers-umm….none really…i don't take anything at pp really seriously, I am just there to have a good time and listen to good music, see old and meet new friends...and watch those pretty boys on stage o_O…o, wait, maybe one…lars of manticora pointing out how xxxxxxxxxxxxtra small I would need in a t-shirt… ;)
...oopsie...there was another...having to get over the velvet rope to use the women's restroom...(unless the line was short and i was able to just walk past the peeps in line)...

Cheers:

DC for giving me the oppurtunity to play with him

Glenn and Shane for helping the whole DC thing happen and getting us a place to practice last minute! Not to mention the whole Urban jam session thing! Shane for getting me taken care of pre-party wise! Glenn for getting conception back together and for jamming with us at PP 6.1

Tess and Annie for letting us crash in their room

Bryant for the 6-pack of Dr.Pepper

Rusty and Susan for letting me split a cab with them

Tore for letting me call him all weekend to help with the guitar parts

Paul, Mosquito, and Aki for taking me to Taco Cabana

Drew Jacobs for switching to bass last minute and saving our asses!

The Guy manager at the Hampton for not being an asshole

Everyone who bought me water!

Drew for the awesome listening party

Lance for giving me the coolest autograph

and the biggest thanks goes to all the people who told me I did a good job with Urban and DC, The pre-party was my first gig ever and as he said I had 5 days to learn the set. I got all my nervousness out on wednesday night, luckily, but all the compliments meant alot...THANKS!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Jeers:

Taxi Cab driver on wednesday, what a dumbass!!! The follow up to that would be the guy who gave me wrong directions to the hotel, and all the homeless people I encountered on my walk across midtown who used Hurrican Katrina as a way to get money out of me!!!

Valerie- the manager at the Hampton Inn, she was an arrogant bitch during the 3 hour ordeal there!!!

The mosh pit guy- Glenn should of not only kicked him out, but beat the shit of him!

The cop that my bass player accidentally hit in the face while stretching. Alonzo apologized over and over, he alogized again later and the prick told him to cut his hair...fucking asshole!

CHEERS: The crew, who else? Having done it myself a long time ago, it's a pain in the ass job and for Glenn to give them their moment in the sun every fest just shows how classy this fest really is.

I don't know if the vendors were moved out last year (missed PPV) but that was a great move over the way things were @ PPIV. Gave a lot more room to socialize out in the lobby and the autograph areas worked better (unless you had to go to the ladies room, I imagine)

Glenn Harveston - can't cheer him enough. :worship:

Jeers: Sorry, it has to be the sound guy. Set it up, get it down and leave it alone. Heard way too much knob twiddling to get solos to show up, guitars to suddenly appear, vocals to come in out of nowhere, etc. Two guys you never want to talk about at a show are the sound guy and the lighting guy. Lights were fine, sound wasn't.

Vendors sudden spiking of prices: (See Conception CD's). Saw "Parallel Minds" for $12, $14, $18, $29 at four separate booths before they played (yes, same version, imported from same location so don't get me started with import prices, thanks.). All were roughly at $22 after they played. Talk about your marketplace dynamics.

Outside of that, really,...was an awesome show and have no really big complaints.

CHEERS (besides those already mentioned):
*To everybody for being so damn cool. Everybody I met this year was just so fuckin' cool.

*The shuttle driver from the Grenada who drove us to a restaurant in Buckhead (WAY outside of shuttle range) because we were late to meet up with some friends, and the taxi was taking forever to show up.

*All of the staff of the Earthlink/Vinyl/Loft for being cool and friendly.

*The Granada for not locking the door at 11pm during PP weekend.

*MetalRose or whomever it was who came up with the idea of going to Six Flags on Sunday. That was a blast even though we didn't get to hang with you guys that much. Shaye, tell Urban that we were really gonna do that Fearless Freeps ride thingy (we saw you, Urban and MetalRose do it at 6:30), but after getting off of the Superman ride - which kicked major ass - it was too late to get a spot.

*Bryant for having the balls to break dance at the pre-party. :D

*Lance King and Yan Leviathan for doing an impromptu jam between PP sets for those in the Vinyl. Very cool!

*All the vendors for great selections (I never thought I'd see so many Conception CDs in one room) and incredible prices. We spent multiple hundreds of dollars on merchandise.

*D.C. Cooper for doing the thing on Thursday night and giving some "regular people" the chance to jam with him. That was fun to watch, and extremely cool of him.

JEERS (although some of these might have been mentioned, some need to be repeated):
*The guy who kept crapping in his pants on the main floor during the show. That was VILE! Next year, try a different diet, or go take a crap BEFORE COMING INTO THE VENUE! MY GOD MAN! GO SEE A DOCTOR!

*The temperature in the venue was too damn hot. Standing outside the arena doors, I could feel the heat coming out of the arena. It really took a lot of the enjoyment out of the show for me. I tried to minimize my movement as I was sweating just standing still, and I stayed on the fringes of the crowd. It was too damn hot in there.

*People saving seats. Here's my gripe. If you're saving a seat, why not say, "You can sit here until my friend gets back, but then you'll have to move"? Yardleybates wanted to sit down a couple of times because her feet were hurting. One woman told us that the seat next to her was saved. For the whole 45 minutes Yardleybates was sitting there in the next seat over, the saved seat remained empty. Would it have hurt if I had sat there with my wife during that time?

*The Granada for running out of most of the breakfast more than 1/2 hour before breakfast was over. This morning, for the first time in the four years we've been staying there, we were able to experience the full breakfast. It was actually pretty damn good. You'd think they'd know by now that they need more food that weekend, especially late in the morning.

*It had to end. :(

Joe-× said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by woosta
and finally Jeers to WAAAAAYYYY too much prog on night one.

There were only two prog bands the first night - Circus Maximus and Orphaned Land.

So Conception and Circus Maximus are definitely Prog; however I would argue that Orphan Land is maybe neither.... But saying Angra and Manticora are prog!? Then what is Power?

Robin

ReaLM said:
So Conception and Circus Maximus are definitely Prog; however I would argue that Orphan Land is maybe neither.... But saying Angra and Manticora are prog!? Then what is Power?

Manticora is an excellent Blind Guardian clone so they are power metal.

Circus Maximus is an excellent DT/Symphony X clone so they are prog metal.

Orphaned Land is a clone of no one but they have time and key changes and employ unusual arrangements so they are prog metal.

Conception is extremely well done power metal with space instead of balls-out speed.

Angra is an excellent Helloween clone so they are power metal.

That's my opinions anyway.

Joe

ReaLM said:

Robin

Songs with a continuous beat. Songs with a memorable hook. Songs that have a singable melody line. Angra, to me, is just latin-flavored prog and Manticora was Prog-lite. They are pretenders to either throne in their sound but struck me more like Prog in that there was no hook in any of the songs.

Angrafan said:
That was cool! I was right behind Lars when he was talking to that guy up front.. :) (you even made a coment about my marlins jersey :loco: )

Aha! Yes, sir. I remember it well. GO 'STROS!!

Cheers to Tess for kicking alot of ass, dinner with Strato, and the coolest tshirt around, and to anniebat for arguing like the sister I never had. You guys took care of me this weekend, thank you so much.

guardian26 said:
Cheers to Tess for kicking alot of ass, dinner with Strato, and the coolest tshirt around, and to anniebat for arguing like the sister I never had. You guys took care of me this weekend, thank you so much.

Yes, of course.

Cheers to Anniebat for making us both laugh when we were so tired we couldn't even keep our eyes open.

-"Mike, there's a party in your pants and everyone's invited."
-"Not as long as you're around there isn't! Everyone's invited? Don't you mean, coming?"

YAY Anniebat.